Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 14:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs down Aspartame Danger??

Did anyone see the 700 club the other night, it's a Christian channel, incorporating CBN news. They did an article on the dangers of aspartame. It was really quite serious.

One scientist likened aspartame danger to the situation years ago when even doctors were telling people it was ok to smoke yet years later we find that cigarettes are killers!!!! He compared the situation with aspartame now being thought of as safe to the same as tobacco was thought of then!!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts, views. From the article it seems it's all big business again, industry keeping the lid on health issues, people in politics moving into board directorship of these big companies producing the white stuff!!!! having just approved them when in politics!!

You can still find it on the CBN.com website if you are interested.

http://www.cbn.com/cbnnews%2Fnews%2F02021a%2Easp

Comments?

Banana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-02, 22:24
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Doesn't surprise me one bit.....very scary and very disappointing. I'm just really glad I see more and more products made with Splenda now....probablly wont be long before Aspartame is gone for good. We won't be seeing it much in my house, that's for sure.

Let me add, however, that people can have these same types of sensitivies to all kinds of foods.... not just sweeteners. So you still have to take such stories with a grain of salt as the stories can always be skewed one way or another. I have a friend who gets a whole host of weird symptoms when she eats wheat or wheat products and it took a year to figure out what was wrong with her! Doesn't necessarily mean that wheat is dangerous...but it is for some people with sensitivity.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 02:57

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

No Banana did not see that programme. The trouble is if we believed everything we would never eat, drink, breathe, etc.
I know aspartamane is not thought of highly in the US, but there are also negative things about Splenda. It just goes to show you should stick with natural ingredients. However, for us sugar means carbs, which are a big no no. So what to do? For now I'll stick to low levels of AS in my foods and cooking.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-07, 18:21

Plan: None
Stats: 230/176/180 Male 77 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Aspartame Danger? No.

I've been reading websites from people that claim that their is a danger linked to Aspartame. When I read something written by a doctor or a REAL health official they say there is no evidence linked to danger. Thus, these websites and articles are just speculation. Here is an example of a bad website and a good website.

Bad website: http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html
Look at this "Medical professional". I quoted because I am being sarcastic. I was a little confused when I saw she had a PHD, but then I saw the title of the website "Sweet Poison" and that she is trying to make money off of a book she wrote. If she was an MD who really wanted to warn people about Aspartame, then it would be done as a grant -> study which she would not make money off of it at all.

Good website: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/phenylalanine/AN01552
[The website is .com but it is written by a registered dieticion]

Everyone please do me a favor, don't eat harmful high-fructose corn syrup which has many studies talking about how it is linked to obesity and is truly bad for you. Exercise, drink diet soda and eat aspartame products and get to your desired weight the safe way.
There is one thing you should always do when reading anything on the internet. See if the website is .edu or .gov . That is a simple way to tell if these websites are real or just anyone out there being experts on anything.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-07, 12:01

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Or stick to plain water for drinks and use sucralose and the other sweeteners Dr Atkins recommended in cooking your sweet 'treats' if you can.