Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 12:10

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 243/235/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Oh Canada!

I have been away from low carb a couple years, buying a house, getting fat, and slowly dying inside because of it. And recently planning a wedding for May 2016 and a honeymoon in Mexico.

It's time to get healthy again and not race down the same path as my mom did, with diabetes, blindness, renal failure, and every other diabetic complication you can name. (I am not diabetic, YET!)

I belong to another low carb forum, but find the moderation of almost everything to be ridiculous. You cannot have a conversation about products or social media without receiving an email the next day to say it has been edited. So, I am searching for a new low carb home.

I'd like to have a thread to post our struggles and successes, and somewhere I can check in every day and say hey, eh! (I've never sad eh in my entire life in a sentence out loud!)

So, post your daily updates, random thoughts, Canadian humour, and anything else your Canuck heart desires. Go!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 13:56

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I was born in Nanaimo, BC, when my family came out to help my grandparents for a few years. My family moved back to Toronto when I was 3 years old, and I have lived in Ontario ever since. I finally got to come back to BC 15 years ago, for my honeymoon (2nd husband) and called the kids to tell them I was never coming back! LOL

You are starting out about where I did in weight, and I am 61 years old, so I can tell you that you can do this!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 14:20

BF:

Hi Cwatt! I am originally from Nova Scotia, I moved here 10 years ago, and have no interest in goign back. My fiance's family is from Quebec, and his parents live in Ottawa. We don't even want to go visit... too hot and humid in the summer and well, in the winter there's winter!

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm sure I can do this too, I did it before, just have to get past the laziness that gets me sometimes.

Congrats on your progress!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 14:42
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Hello Avy and welcome to the best LC WOE website on the planet, IMHO!

Well, eh, I'm no where near Canada but I thought I'd drop in and wish you much success on your journey to a healthier YOU!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 09:04

Plan: LC/high fat
Stats: 224/208/170 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avy
I've never sad eh in my entire life in a sentence out loud!)

OK! Your goal of the day… to say "EH!" out loud at least once, with Canadian passion! I had a friend from Brooklyn making fun of me the other day on Facebook… he kept trying to throw in "EH" everywhere but kept typing "AYE!" I thought it was amusing. lol.

So, Im in Mission (just outside Vancouver for those who don't know) right now but Ive lived all over Canada. I was born in Southern Alberta and have also lived in Winnipeg and Ottawa amongst a bunch of little towns in between.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 12:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyjenns
OK! Your goal of the day… to say "EH!" out loud at least once, with Canadian passion! I had a friend from Brooklyn making fun of me the other day on Facebook… he kept trying to throw in "EH" everywhere but kept typing "AYE!" I thought it was amusing. lol.

So, Im in Mission (just outside Vancouver for those who don't know) right now but Ive lived all over Canada. I was born in Southern Alberta and have also lived in Winnipeg and Ottawa amongst a bunch of little towns in between.

Another Left Coaster! It is a great place to be. My BF is from Ottawa, I'm from Yarmouth NS., and we both love and prefer it here. The drought could stop any time, but otherwise the weather is beautiful, so is the scenery, and the economy sure beats Nova Scotia!

I'm not sure, but I think low carb and organic eating is easier here too.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 13:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Hello Avy and welcome to the best LC WOE website on the planet, IMHO!

Well, eh, I'm no where near Canada but I thought I'd drop in and wish you much success on your journey to a healthier YOU!

Non-Canadian friends are welcome too! Thanks for the great welcome. It's nice to have a good forum with "normal" rules where I can have discussions and participate and not worry about censoring my every word.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 13:19

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Welcome Ava, this site is full of information and helpful people, and no one will say anything if you want to bitch and moan.
The only time I have been in Canada was on vacation ( Vancouver, Toronto,) in the summertime. It is far to cold for me in the winter. But I will visit your thread from SC often. Once more welcome.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 13:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 208.6/188.2/160 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:Restart Jan 2016
Progress: 42%

Another Ontarian here...same as you had many ups and downs and after following the Low Carb Traveler on FB I am jumping back on the bandwagon. In fact, I just received an order for the Low Carb Grocery today and am trying the new DreamBread with 1 carb per slice...not as an every day thing, but as a crutch you would say for those times when bread is needed. I too have had much success on this plan, but can never maintain...so here we go again
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Welcome! I'm in Victoria...there used to be an active group of us here but not so much any more. It's good to see another left-coaster.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 19:47

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Welcome. Another non-Canadian here, but I have a summer home in New Brunswick, about 20 minutes to the Nova Scotia border in one direction and 20 minutes to the bridge to PEI in the other direction (though I never go to PEI because of the $45 toll)...so I've spent summer vacations in Canada for 40+ years. I love maritime Canada!

We get lots of Canadian "snowbirds" down here in Florida in the winter, so I call myself the "anti-snowbird".

This is a great group here and I hope you will enjoy it.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 23:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljohnw
Welcome Ava, this site is full of information and helpful people, and no one will say anything if you want to bitch and moan.
The only time I have been in Canada was on vacation ( Vancouver, Toronto,) in the summertime. It is far to cold for me in the winter. But I will visit your thread from SC often. Once more welcome.

Thank you! I live in the tropics of Canada Not much of a winter and the summers are hot and dry.... too dry! I probably won't bitch and moan too much or loudly, but if I do I'll say it's because you told me I could!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-19-15, 23:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaGal
Another Ontarian here...same as you had many ups and downs and after following the Low Carb Traveler on FB I am jumping back on the bandwagon. In fact, I just received an order for the Low Carb Grocery today and am trying the new DreamBread with 1 carb per slice...not as an every day thing, but as a crutch you would say for those times when bread is needed. I too have had much success on this plan, but can never maintain...so here we go again

I just placed an order with Low carb Canada! Back in the day I found them the cheapest and best for shipping... not sure about these days, I should check them out again!

I have some rubbery bread in the freezer for the same reason lol. Been there a long time, but I'll eat it, dammit! (eventually)

Yes, I get lazy with preparation, and it's so easy just to eat what he eats, or go out to eat and make lame choices. Onward and upward!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 00:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Welcome. Another non-Canadian here, but I have a summer home in New Brunswick, about 20 minutes to the Nova Scotia border in one direction and 20 minutes to the bridge to PEI in the other direction (though I never go to PEI because of the $45 toll)...so I've spent summer vacations in Canada for 40+ years. I love maritime Canada!

We get lots of Canadian "snowbirds" down here in Florida in the winter, so I call myself the "anti-snowbird".

This is a great group here and I hope you will enjoy it.

Thank you! I grew up in Yarmouth NS, so I'm very familiar with the maritime life. It's nice, but the economy, weather and scenery are better in BC.

I've never been to Florida... never been to the states (gasp!) but to a few other countries. Heading to Mexico in May, first time there. Been to the Dominican once, and it was fabulous.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-20-15, 06:23

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Avy, glad you love the west. I agree it's really so sad the economic situation in the Maritimes. A pity since it's such a lovely area. I've only been to BC once (have a good friend who lives in Kamloops). The scenery is certainly spectacular but I much prefer the Maritimes. Isn't it nice that there are so many different places that we all should be able to find a place to love? I used ti think people who moved to Florida were insane. Then life brought me here four years ago and I love it so much I wish I'd done it sooner.