Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 06:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I love their almond meal for making more hearty stuff, like low carb peanut butter cookies. It's less expensive than almond flour, which works better for more delicate things.

If you like it to make peanut butter cookies have you tried the TJ peanut flour? Very nice!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 11:03

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeypie
I see. And you're right.

Unfortunately, undercutting is exactly what's happening, and more and more people wouldn't eat any beef from cattle reared on genetically modified corn at all, if they had a choice in the matter, or if there was even wider access to grass fed meat at a similar price point to the mass market sold domestic cuts.

Most cattle are raised on grass in the US, it's at the end they are (finished) fed corn just before slaughter, otherwise you would not be able to chew the beef.
The Uruguay beef is the same I've read the web-site and it says grass fed but it doesn't say 100% grass fed or 100% organic which is the only one not fed Any GMO grain at all. It's all marketing...I raise cattle.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 12:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

~merpig: I haven't seen the peanut flour, but I'll be on the lookout for it.

Just remembered another TJ's find: frozen langostino, (little tiny lobsters) in a bag. Defrost a few, chop up a stalk of celery, mix with mayo and you have the most wonderful lunch!
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 14:44

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
The Uruguay beef is the same I've read the web-site and it says grass fed but it doesn't say 100% grass fed or 100% organic which is the only one not fed Any GMO grain at all. It's all marketing...

Good point. Perhaps marketing, perhaps not, as Uruguay does indeed use GM crops.

Beef from somewhere like New Zealand or Ireland however, would not have that issue, as GM crops are banned in so many other countries.

I think people who shop at places like Trader Joes are often looking for the most natural alternatives though, and I agree that their grass fed meat prices are tough to beat.

You have a tough job, Meme. Hope I didn't step on your toes with my passing comment - it would never have been my intention.
  #65   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-15, 18:11

BF:

No problem Honeypie.
New Zealand is famous for their lamb and I think that's where a majority of what we import to the US.

I don't want to offend anyone either, especially in this age group, but the few times I've been to Trader Joes, after looking in several baskets I saw a lot of 30 year olds who were not buying basic raw meat and fresh veggies but a lot of pre-prepared and also frozen prepared stuff. Almost deli like shopping but with the hopes of finding more healthy food.

There are a couple more like Trader Joe's, Fresh Market and Sprouts. All smaller stores (as compared to the mega grocery stores) with the common theme of eating "healthy". Most of what I find at all of these stores is imported meat and standard veggies/sprayed or GMO and a small area of organic.
Even Whole Foods has reduced their stock of organic veggies for some reason. Last time I went their produce dept. was cut in half.

I've read that this younger generation doesn't want to shop in bulk at places like Costco and Sams and that they are really into convenience. One article I read said that these two stores have really taken a hit with the market turning over with seniors leaving the market and youngsters taking their place.

I think that's why these new smaller stores are exploding in popularity which is fine with me because I do not like those huge mega stores anyway.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-15, 03:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The TJs in my town was the first in NC, opened 9 years ago this coming Dec. About two years ago they reconfigured the middle aisles to meet the needs of its demographics ...mostly young mothers short on time, looking for convenience, and seniors who don't want to cook. Huge expansion of Freezer space with more prepared frozen meals (their famous Mandarian Chicken sugar bomb), frozen desserts, etc and prepared fresh meals took over chunks of the vegetable cooler cases too. And wine/beer, young and old need that Kiddie lunch foods (cereal bars/Fruit leathers) and cereal boxes pack the other aisles. Each store manager can adjust the space and orders for their market, and sadly, our town likes frozen food convenience...now more freezer space than any other store in the region (but, that does include some frozen grass-fed ground beef and rib eyes from NZ) and NZ lamb in the fresh meat.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Aug-25-15 at 04:42.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-15, 06:40

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

haha- i fit this description! I am 31, and shop at whole foods once a week (I wish we had a convenient TJ's!).

at whole foods, you would peek in my cart and think i eat nothing but packaged foods, but really they are specialty products:
packets of seaweeds snacks
packets of crunchmame (roasted edmame)
packets of carrots and ranch dip to go
turkey jerky
quest bars for races
etc.....

BUT, this gives an inaccurate picture- i also shop at Giant once a week, and there i get the bulk of groceries:
lettuce, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, cucumber, spinach or broccoli or asparagus or shredded cabbage slaw
chicken breasts
eggs
cheeses
greek yogurt
pumpkin seeds
coconut milk
etc......

So maybe there are lots of other 30 somethings who only go to TJ's or WF's for "treats"?
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 05:59

It's holiday time at Trader Joe's and the peppermint Jo-Jo's are calling (they make great gifts as so many other items that only show up now)

Not sure what to make of this Electrolyte Alkaline water: http://traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2222

I don't believe eating something "acidic" would be off-set by the water, but maybe if you are just starting LC and shedding water the electrolytes would be nice packaged in plain water. But how much would you drink to get a benefit? I tried it, it tastes like water.

Some excellent cheeses and sausage for entertaining...the demo was a smear of Brie cheese on a slice of summer sausage...for once no cracker involved. The goat cheese log rolled in cranberries is lovely for a holiday tray.

Now is time to buy special gift packs of body butters and hand cream. And woot, the hand cream has been also repackaged in a larger tube and now will be available year round. The best! 20% Shea butter plus some suspicious extras, but my sensitive skin does fine...love that stuff. Also Flavored olive oils and mustard gift sets. Finishing salts (Fleur de sal and truffle) , now available year round, or least we didn't get a gift pack of salts this year. Grand Blue cheese from Bavaria (small farms) Scottish cheddar, special holiday flavored teas. Only problem is ignoring all the sweets...they are everywhere you turn!
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 14:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Trader Joe's does have a lot of prepared food, but they've also got a TON of great prices on some stuff, like Cauliflower. Frozen veggies are great too. Staples for me include coconut milk, coconut cream, eggs, ham (sometimes), turkey (this time of year), mirepoix (pre-cut onion, celery and carrots), canned pumpkin, spaghetti squash, peanut butter (no sugar), flavored mineral water, wine (sometimes), 85% chocolate, beef and chicken broth. Cheese sometimes, but Costco has less expensive and equally tasty cheese.
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-15, 19:04

I am totally unconvinced by that alkaline water stuff. Our stomachs make hydrochloric acid to begin the job of digesting our food. If that won't neutralize the alkaline water before it gets to the cellular level, I don't know what would.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 04:16

I agree on that 9.5 ph being useless once it hits the stomach. It lists potassium and magnesium in the ingredients but I am thinking the amount is minuscule. Dr. Davis has a recipe for making magnesium water with unflavored MOM or use No Salt and you know then you are getting electrolytes replaced. Like Nancy, I'll stick with their flavored sparkling waters for a treat.

Waiting for a nearby Costco to open...thought it would be before Xmas but no. Even though the walls went up fast, filling the store is taking time. The amount of STUFF still blows me away. Why I like Trader Joe's so much... Less than half the size of a regular chain grocery, limited choice but good quality.
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 10:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Waiting for a nearby Costco to open...thought it would be before Xmas but no. Even though the walls went up fast, filling the store is taking time. The amount of STUFF still blows me away. Why I like Trader Joe's so much... Less than half the size of a regular chain grocery, limited choice but good quality.

When i have been having significant mobility issues, i often will go to whole foods to avoid the massive giant. i hate to pay through the nose, but it is awfully nice to pop in and out easily, and the staff lets me cut the line or helps me carry bags, on days when the pain is really bad <3

can't wait for the new "cheapie" whole foods chain to roll out next year!
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 12:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
When i have been having significant mobility issues, i often will go to whole foods to avoid the massive giant. i hate to pay through the nose, but it is awfully nice to pop in and out easily, and the staff lets me cut the line or helps me carry bags, on days when the pain is really bad <3

can't wait for the new "cheapie" whole foods chain to roll out next year!

Oh really? A new cheapie Whole foods?
Do tell Robin....

Sounds right up my alley small, cheapie and maybe some organic produce..
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Dec-07-15, 17:28

A cheapie Whole Foods is sort of how I think of TJ's. Except for the huge collection of overpriced supplements, of course.
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 04:50

WF announced in the spring that they will launch another line of stores (named 365 by Whole Foods) that will be an Exact Copy of Trader Joe's. Streamlined offerings, smaller stores, cheaper prices. The first will open early 2016, as I remember there was not one planned for NC, Only the big metros.

Some analysts consider this a dumb move that will only cannibalize WF's own sales. Trader Joe's is eating their lunch in many markets, already firmly established with good locations and has the international sourcing power of Aldis. PRoducts like the French cultured butter, Italian organic cauliflower and Bavarian Blue Cheese are so unique and so cheap....I cannot fathom what 365 could possibly offer that would make me change loyalty from the "original" TJ to a copy cat. (Other than reducing the supplements to basic 365 vitamins and getting rid of those scary herbalists who pounce on customers in WF )

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-08-15 at 06:31.