Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 18:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%
Default Running if overweight?

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but I remember reading that running/jogging is bad if you are overweight because it puts too much strain on your body. I would like to start running but am not sure if I should lose more weight first. I am 5 ft, 7 inches and nearly 200 lbs. Most of that is fat, but I do have some muscle. I guess basically my question is, how overweight is too overweight to start running?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:24

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

I am a passionate runner, but I would not recommend to start it NOW. I read an interesting article about this: every 2 lbs excess weight adds 1 more year to the age of your legs.... Even without excess weight running is very hard on the joints, tendons, etc.

How about starting a walking programme? Walking have the SAME benefit as running, but without the pounding effect. If you include hills, stairs in your walking routine it can help to prepare your heart, your muscles for the future running. You can have same endurance and/or HIIT training as well as with running.

I started my "running programme" with one month walk (Walk Away the Pounds video 3 miles), lost 8 lbs, then started a "couch potato - 5k " type programme - still mostly walking -. Lost 12 more lbs in the following 2 months before I could - slowly - run 30 min/5k.

As you can see I lost MORE from walking than from running.... (The body adjust very fast to the running, becoming more efficient, burning less and less calories.)

Individual experiences can be very different. This was my 2c.

Whatever is your choice: HAVE FUN

Eva

Last edited by Galadriell : Thu, Oct-14-04 at 19:31.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:25
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

Hi there.

I'm about your height, and I actually GAINED weight running (TOTALLY on the wrong diet though - I was doing low fat... grrrrr... ). I had to stop at 170 because my knees, hips and feet were killing me. And I was already in "good shape" as it were - I was running 10k 3x a week.

If you're looking to start running to lose weight, there are MUCH better methods (diet, heavy weightlifting supplemented with short cardio sessions). If you're looking forward to running because you absolutely LOVE it, my opinion, based on my personal experience and nothing else, would be to wait until you've dropped another 40 or 50 pounds.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:45

Stats: 266.5/209/199 Female 5' 7"
BF:50%/40%/30%
Progress: 85%

Thanks for the advice! I am on Atkins to lose weight but I would like to run eventually. But that will wait until I am in better shape
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-04, 19:55
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:

As you approach goal weight, drop by Galadriell - she runs, and she's got some WONDERFUL information on how to get into it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 09:40

Stats: 308/278/220 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default got to get it off

ok hi I'm Reggie B. from IL and I am at a weight that just don't want to go away. Yet I have told it to go. I am disabled due to 2 motorcycle accidents. The first was Aug 29, 1999. It was minor injuries, in a coma for 4 days, and I missed 5 months of work and I had to go back to school to learn how to read again. The 2nd one was on Sept.30, 2007 and once again I failed to have my helmet on. The 2nd accident was much much worse. I was in a coma for 11 days, I flew 30 feet high for 90 feet and came down on my head. Because of many people getting grossed out I won't tell what all happened. I will just say a few results. My doctor wanted to put me in a nursing home cause if i were to walk, it was too risky. If i were to fall and hit my head it could be a repeat of what I have already been through, in which I did. As a result of the accident my short term memory is gone. I am working on it, but I have learned to accept it. In 1994, after high school was completed, I went to the Marine Corps. and learned to have a love for running. I could eat whatever I wanted and knew I would run it off the next morning. Well my doc gave me the ok to workout, she said not to run but walking wasn't doing it for me. So here I sit heavier than I have ever been in my whole life. I don't like it at all! I'm a big guy normally but with all the extra pounds, this is crazy. So I have got to get it off! What should I do?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 09:46

Plan: Atkins, SB, Etc etc etc
Stats: 253/239/175 Male 5'9" almost
BF:
Progress: 18%

I think individual differences play a big part -- it depends on your condition and fitness.

I'd get a good "learn to run" book like those by John Bingham (The Penguin) and go from there -- listening to how YOUR body responds to the exercise.

http://www.johnbingham.com/
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 10:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegotdis
ok hi I'm Reggie B. from IL and I am at a weight that just don't want to go away. Yet I have told it to go. I am disabled due to 2 motorcycle accidents. The first was Aug 29, 1999. It was minor injuries, in a coma for 4 days, and I missed 5 months of work and I had to go back to school to learn how to read again. The 2nd one was on Sept.30, 2007 and once again I failed to have my helmet on. The 2nd accident was much much worse. I was in a coma for 11 days, I flew 30 feet high for 90 feet and came down on my head. Because of many people getting grossed out I won't tell what all happened. I will just say a few results. My doctor wanted to put me in a nursing home cause if i were to walk, it was too risky. If i were to fall and hit my head it could be a repeat of what I have already been through, in which I did. As a result of the accident my short term memory is gone. I am working on it, but I have learned to accept it. In 1994, after high school was completed, I went to the Marine Corps. and learned to have a love for running. I could eat whatever I wanted and knew I would run it off the next morning. Well my doc gave me the ok to workout, she said not to run but walking wasn't doing it for me. So here I sit heavier than I have ever been in my whole life. I don't like it at all! I'm a big guy normally but with all the extra pounds, this is crazy. So I have got to get it off! What should I do?

Hi and welcome!!

If your medical doctor has told you not to run...listen!! walk if that is what you can do...walk a lot!! Volunteer at a local dog shleter and walk their dogs...the dogs will love you for it and it won't be boring for you.

Following a good low carb plan and walking will help you get the weight off. I know because thats how I lost all my 120 lbs.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 10:40

Plan: was Atkins now PāNu
Stats: 292.5/195/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:

Yikes! Sounds like you have had it really rough

The first thing you should do is read up on some of the low-carb plans out there and see which one is best for you. Some of the more popular ones are Atkins (which I am on), South Beach (which JudyNYC, who posted above, is on) and Protein Power which is almost between Atkins and South Beach. In my experience, men seem to prefer Atkins but you should read about each of them and find out which suits you the best. Cutting out refined carbs and sugars will do wonders for weight loss and health even without exercise.

Follow your doctor's advice about exercise, but honestly, you don't need exercise at least at this stage to lose a lot of weight. Read this article, there have been new studies that back this up as well. If you really do want to exercise, however, JudyNYC gave you some great advice about walking

The last thing, why don't you come join in the Triple Digits Forum on this site, this is where most of us who have significant amount of weigh to lose (or have lost significant amounts of weight) are found.

I've lost 100lbs on Atkins....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 10:53
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

It really depends on your strength and health to start with.

I do run, not far distances (longest is 7 kms).

Get fitted for a proper pair of runners, include cross training (like weights or something else you really enjoy).

And remember, pick an activity that you enjoy. Otherwise you won't stick to it and become even more frustrated.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 11:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Well my doc gave me the ok to workout, she said not to run but walking wasn't doing it for me.

ummmm 'scuse me here but did you read this? This person has serious brain injury....medical doctor said not to run!!
Still think he should run?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 11:40

Stats: 308/278/220 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I thank you all for responding to me! Walking is what I will do. I just have a hard head when it comes right down to the fact of hearing what doctors say because they have read it and practice it, verse what I already know. What I know is to run. However due to me blacking out(while running) and what you people has said, I will listen. Thank you! Ok, ok, ok Judy I'm listening and I hear you all loud and clear. Me and my brain injury will be walking. Lol
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
ummmm 'scuse me here but did you read this? This person has serious brain injury....medical doctor said not to run!!
Still think he should run?

I think NixCarbos was responding to the OP, which was from 2004...she didn't realize you and I were responding to the newer post from wegotdis
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:29

BF:

Quote:
I thank you all for responding to me! Walking is what I will do. I just have a hard head when it comes right down to the fact of hearing what doctors say because they have read it and practice it, verse what I already know. What I know is to run. However due to me blacking out(while running) and what you people has said, I will listen. Thank you! Ok, ok, ok Judy I'm listening and I hear you all loud and clear. Me and my brain injury will be walking. Lol

I think in this case your doctor knows of what she is speaking Like I said, you really don't even have to exercise at this point if you don't want to, but if you insist, then please walk -- DON'T RUN until/unless your doctor gives you the green light. (and for the record, this is coming from an addicted runner who understands what you dislike about walking and love about running)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-06-09, 12:40
Give A Damn

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 293/234.4/175 Female 5' 5 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brpssm
I think NixCarbos was responding to the OP, which was from 2004...she didn't realize you and I were responding to the newer post from wegotdis

Yah sorry I didn't read anyone else's posts. I was responding to the OP.