Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 242/178/160 Female 5'6
BF:??
Progress: 78%
Default Plus Size feature on Today

I am watching a feature on the Today show about plus sizes for teens and kids. Evidently they are getting many more plus sizes in for these kids that are overweight.

Geesh, when I was in plus sizes all I could find were frumpy old lady looking clothes!!! This always happens to me,,,LOL. When I got my first new frig I had to get white,, they came out with beige the next year (1978) , anyway I am still VERY HAPPY that I dont have to shop in the plus sizes anymore even if they are getting cuter clothing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-04, 11:34

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

That is a good thing. It is so horrible to grow up overweight and have to wear ugly clothes
Now, if only parents would take better charge of their kid's diets and really help them to lose weight, or if a whole family is overweight, try together...If i ever have kids, I will NOT let them go through what i had to growing up and being overweight.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:17

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 272/272/250 Female 60inchs
BF:
Progress: 0%

i think its defeeting the purpose if you have all these options of clothing i mean styles to choose from what incentive is that to a child or teen?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 20:03

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

It doesn't address the problem, kids & teens 3 times the weight they should be, diabetes-causing food, sucking down 6 sodas a day, no exercise. I'm glad they're putting a band-aid on the issue by making cute clothes, then they won't have any reason to ever get healthy, as long as they have cute clothes......

Very sad............

LL
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 15:11

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I am glad that there is a new line in Plus size clothes, since I am not that far into my wieightloss I still want to buy cute clothes that fit! I really like Torrid.com for some of my work clothes and I go to bandlu.com for my casual wear, it really does help having these stores around. I am glad that they are starting to see that it a problem that young adult are having an issue in finding clothing.

Erinleigh
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/130/150 Female 5' 1"
BF:Not anymore!
Progress: 120%

I think it's wonderful! A girl or woman who feels permanently restricted to ugly, unstylish clothes might be so down on herself that she self-medicates her depression by emotional eating. On the other hand, a girl or woman who has healthy self-esteem and learns to feel good about herself is much more likely to find the strength to change her lifestyle and eating habits to lose weight. And even those who never succeed in getting slim (as many dieters don't) deserve a chance to look and feel good in their clothes.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 18:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jael
I think it's wonderful! A girl or woman who feels permanently restricted to ugly, unstylish clothes might be so down on herself that she self-medicates her depression by emotional eating. On the other hand, a girl or woman who has healthy self-esteem and learns to feel good about herself is much more likely to find the strength to change her lifestyle and eating habits to lose weight. And even those who never succeed in getting slim (as many dieters don't) deserve a chance to look and feel good in their clothes.

Exactly! For teens (and many adults), image is everything. Not only will they be down on themselves for not having clothes that look nice and are an appropriate style for their age group, their peers will also put them down and mock them. Being overweight does not make you deserving of being 'punished' for that fact by being relegated to unstylish, unattractive clothing styles.
I don't see it as an incentive to stay overweight, but rather as a means to promote self-esteem so that they will focus on taking better care of their bodies and health. Where is it written that only thin people deserve to have nice looking clothing that fit properly and look good?
When I was a teen, teen sizes didn't run much past size 13 (and sizes ran smaller back then), a 15 IF you were lucky. If you were larger than that, you were stuck with "women's" styles which were anything but current with what the other kids were wearing.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 19:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLucy
then they won't have any reason to ever get healthy, as long as they have cute clothes......

Do you honestly think there is a teen out there who is happy to be fat because she can get cute clothes? There are millions of teens running around who wear size 7 and 9 who are miserable because they think they are too fat and they've always been able to get cute clothes. Should fat teens be punished by being made to wear unstylish, poorly fitting clothes? Then what are they supposed to do, barricade themselves in their rooms and eat?

For that matter, do you really think that every overweight teen is unhealthy? I know some teenage girls who are extremely athletic, row crew, and have big shoulders. While their BMI probably puts them into an obese category, their percentage of body fat certainly does not. They need to buy clothes and I'm sure they are bigger than a size 11 or 13. Shouldn't they have the opportunity to buy cute clothes?

I am very happy that they are now making decent looking, decent fitting clothes in large sizes so that I can look respectable and professional when I go to work. That does not mean that I no longer want to lose weight! I think that teens probably think the same way I do, but even more so .