Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 08:26

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default My daughter says she is ready to do LC

Hi!

My daughter has seen me on this WOL and knows how hard it has been for me. The slips and falls I have made.

Last night, she came to me and said she wants to do it too. That is fine with me because she is getting heavy. I want to help her succeed and she is serious about it.

TO make a rapid radical change in her diet, from hot oatmeal to whatever; no more sandwiches, carrots, apples, pretlzels and let's not forget the cookies. to LCing, I do not know if she can do this? Just wake up Monday morning, and bammmm, your lunch is different?

How can I help her, guide her and do not I will have to deal with all the aches and pains of her induction...... LOL!!!!! She is only 11 so I will be helping her.

The biggest fear is this: I fall and slip and get off the WOL and I get mad at myself. If she sees me fail..... will she ? How do we handle this?

How are your children doing on this WOL and what problems, suggestions and advice can you give me. I would apprecaite any help.

Thanks

A Thin Me
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 09:36

Plan: Schwarzbein prin
Stats: 158/155/120
BF:
Progress:

My son (15) and I are in this together and have seen each other slip up or eat too many carbs-- he especially, since he hangs w/ friends who of course eat nachos, pizza and sugared pop. It's no big deal, really. It isn't 'failure.' I try to keep the emphasis on health and the great way I FEEL, rather than "we're on a DIET, and trying to lose as much weight as we can in a BIG HURRY." If I eat too many carbs and feel icky, I'll say "boy, when I eat too many carbs, it really effects my energy level and my sleep, and upsets my stomach!"

He doesn't have to be perfect and neither do I. I just want to impart to him the way he can feel good AND maybe lose weight almost as a side effect. It has gotten him off sugared pop, he eats meat- lovers pizza and pulls the cheese-sauce-meat toppings off and gives the crust to the dog, He eats wings and ribs, and lots of things kids like and doesn't seem to be 'suffering' too much. Mostly cause we're not emphasizing 'weight los diet' here, just health.

YB
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 11:28
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Hi Pam!

I think with Tony LCing with me, the kids will be doing much better LCing.

My daughter likes cold steak or chicken for her lunches. She has a microwave in her school if she wants to warm it up. She also like celery sticks with cream cheese to go with them.

Just an idea.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 223/193/153
BF:
Progress: 43%

My daughter has been low-carbing with me and my husband since we all started it in August. She is 13 yrs old. I started her out by making her breakfast and lunches for her. For breakfasts she usually makes eggs or a slice of meatloaf or other meat I've got in the fridge for her. We use a light bread (Village Hearth - 15 carbs for 2 slices minus 4 carbs for the dietary fiber) and a meat filling of her choice for lunch. I also give her a string cheese and some carrots and celery. According to Dr. Schwarzbein (that's the diet we're on) you can have uncooked carrots because of their high glycemic level.

The Schwarzbein diet is more lienient than Atkins and I think it's easier for kids to be on. We're allowed 15 carbs at each meal and 7 carbs for each of 2 snacks during the day. Total of 60 carbs. I've not been successful loosing on 60 carbs and have cut back to about 40. My daughter has been very successful on 60 carbs. As adults who have dieted on and off throughout life, our metabolisms have become sluggish. I've found the childrens' metabolisms are much more efficient than ours and thus can handle higher levels of carbs and still lose.

good luck.