Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/149/120 Female 64"
BF:34/26/<24
Progress: 63%
Default My doc is having me try Byetta, a new drug

I am trying Byetta, an injectable, to control my bg spikes after exercise. Except for exercise spikes - I am doing pretty well using a low carb diet. I don't plan to change anything dietwise. Does anyone else have experience with Byetta for Type 2?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 06:31
Registered Member

Plan: 6-12-12
Stats: 184.5/175/120 Female 5 feet
BF:way too much!
Progress: 15%

I just started byetta today. Maybe we can compare notes as we go along.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 08:25
Registered Member

Default Hi Leela

I was hoping to get my exercise related blood sugar spikes down and byetta is doing great for that. I was also hoping I could slightly raise my carbs beyond the Dr. Bernstein recommended levels (6 breakfast, 12 lunch and dinner). I have not been able to raise my carbs, but my blood sugar is more predictable and somewhat lower for low carb meals. (I ate one small english muffin with breakfast and went to 142 bg - scratch that idea.) By the way - I look at other diabetes blogs and I keep seeing people complaining about their blood sugar after eating a bowl of cheerios or a hamburger and fries. DUH!
I have been having nausea with with anything past a very small dinner.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-05, 17:27
Cracker in Asia

Stats: 240/195/175 Male 5'8.5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I made a similar mistake not long ago, I stopped by a friends Italian resturant on my way home from work just before they opened the doors for the evening & there was bread fresh out of the oven, made w/a mix they use that contains some soy flour for texture too. I had one piece & sopped it in virgin olive oil & tested my BG when I got home one hour later & it was 140, so scratch that idea. Actually its good in some ways to 'test' the system once in a while; keeps you on the straight & narrow.

I'm always below 100 these days when I test if I stay with the program. Bottom line if you're diabetic you just can't 'do' simple carbs.

Last edited by shawnee : Wed, Sep-28-05 at 21:33.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 03:24
Registered Member

Are you on the 5 or 10 dose? I just started on the 5 and it looks like I'm going to need the 10. Its working somewhat, but I can barely eat anything and my numbers are still not that low (best was ll6-worst 197) I've had to use some regular insulin to get it back down.

No nausea on 5, I hope I can go to 10 and still feel ok. I want to be able to eat a few carbs. I could never stay as low as Bernstein says. I'd like to be able to do about l5-20 carbs/meal.

Are you able to snack after dinner at all? How long before the stuff seems to wear off on you?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 07:07
Registered Member

Default I am on 5 micrograms

Byetta works in just a few minutes for me. It works best if I take it right before I eat my first bite of a meal. I feel it working for about 5 to 6 hours. Snacking won't raise my bg significantly for about the first 3 hours after a shot, but I seldom snack. After 6 hours - I feel my appetite returning. My doctor suggested larger meals in the evening to combat nausea. I tried that last night with about 25 grams of carbs (two taco shells!) and 1 hour later I got a bg of 63. I still am having trouble believing it. I felt overfull for hours, but I ate a normal meal with carbs. Next time I will do one taco and some salad.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-05, 16:39
Registered Member

Thats great. What dose are you on?
Im on the 5 now and I think its too low. I'm experiencing much the same as you but my bgs aren't as low as l'd like. I think I need the 10.

Have you done postprandials? I experienced a rather high one yesterday, over 200, but it went down rapidly in another hour, and the meal was pretty low carb.

I hope this works as well as it looks like its going to. What a godsend. The thing I love is that at work I never know If I'm not going to get a chance of eat lunch if we're really busy and now I don' t have to worry about getting hypo.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 07:21
Registered Member

Default Post prandials

Leela:

I have had postprandials only as high as 145 - which is a big change for me. Before Byetta, after exercise I would get 160's even with low carb meals (12 grams). I don't know how high I will be able to go with carbs, but I am taking it slow on adding carbs. I lost 4 pounds the first week and this is after very slow, but consistent weight loss in the 1 to 2 pounds per week range before this. The nausea is diminishing daily. I am thinking about getting my husband to ask for Byetta for off-label use for weight control and diabetes prevention (type II runs in his family).
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 21:25

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:

My DR wants to put me on this, but I fear the nausea. How bad is it?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 00:01
Registered Member

So far, I havn't had any nausea at all. I've been on 5 mcg, so far, but its only working so-so. Not bad, but numbers could be lower. Tonite I gave myself 2 shots to see if my numbers would be better on 10mcg. Well, they were great. Went out to eat and bg only raised 30 points with a big meal. (including some mashed potatoes, half the portion they served, but it was sizable) Calling my doc for an increase on dose tomorrow. No nausea at all with the double dose.

I think you just have to try it and see if it agrees with you or not.

Cowgirl-sounds like its working really well for you. Congrats.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 16:06

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:

I kist hate to be a guimea pig!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 07:34
Registered Member

Default I figured out when to stop eating with Byetta

I have had problems with Byetta when I eat more than usual (eating out) - an awful too-full feeling that could last for hours. I find that I need to pause every so often during meals and let my body talk to me about how full I am. If you eat too much on Byetta - it will cost you some serious discomfort. I find I can eat way under half what I used to and this even includes low carbs meals. I am doing best with Byetta if I stick to under 12 carb grams a meal.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 22:53
Registered Member

I've noticed that I stop eating much sooner than before. I actually feel full, now. Thats a good thing! I'm hoping to see some results of this on the scale.

I'm on the 10 mcg dose now. By blood sugars are much better, but I think Im going to have to keep taking my oral medications at dinner. Still goes a little high, then.

Knock on wood, no nausea.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 13:56

Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I just started on Byetta this week at 5mcg and my numbers are much improved, but not great yet. Did you find yourself drawing blood a few times with the shots? Or bruising? I've done both and my tummy is looking like a pin cushion even though it doesn't hurt when I give myself the shots. My weight loss is really slow at about 45 total carbs a day. It's about 2 lbs a month and I hope the Byetta can speed things up a little. Is it still working for you?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 22:37

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 360/277/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 44%

My mom was put on the Gila Monster spit and it is working very well for her including some resulting weight loss. If you want to send me a PM with your email I can have her drop you a line.

mike