Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 13:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Flaxseed Oil for kids?

My 11 yr old son is interested in the flaxseed oil that I take everyday. What I am wondering is... should I give him a Tbsp a day. He is a bit chubby and there are around 120 cal in a Tbsp. He is eating less carbs since I started this WOL, but wont/cant go Low Carb. So would the benefits of the flaxseed oil outweight the extra calories for him?

Akiwican

Last edited by Akiwican : Wed, May-15-02 at 13:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 13:16

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jumping in with both feet

I'd say Yes. EFAs, particularly Omega 3, are very useful in fatty acid metabolism. They help you burn fat. They are just what their name implies, essential. Our bodies recognize them as such and they are shuttled off for business other than energy. EFAs are not used for energy. Counting flaxseed oil toward your daily calories is doing yourself a disservice on a LC WOL. If fat is what makes us full and keeps our bodies out of starvation mode, every Tbsp you count toward your caloric intake is 120 calories you're not really 'eating'.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Okay Nat, thanks for your speedy reply and to the other question I asked a few minutes ago.

Did you stats just change?

Akiwican
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:22
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question Yogert and Flaxseed oil

I mix a tbsp of flaxseed oil in with my teen's yogert that they eat each morning. The oil is refrigorated (I actually got cold pressed oil from a local store!) and to me it has a kinda nutty flavor and is yellow. It mixes quite well and my kids say they can't taste it.
Does Yogert do anything bad to the oil or is this ok?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Flaxseed has multiple health benefits, including lowering cholesterol and maintaining heart health. It's worth the calories.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 14:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can also try buying whole flaxseed. You have to grind it in a blender or coffee grinder as the outer shell makes it hard to digest whole. Then add it to cooking, use it in place of yogurt, or sprinkle it on things. I have also tried using it as a breading with success.