Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 19:17

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default I read Allen Carr's book.

Last friday I read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Even though he tells you to smoke while reading the book, I knew halfway through the book, I'd never smoke again. I considered myself to be a social smoker, because I didn't smoke a lot. Some days I would smoke 4 or 5 cigs, and somedays I wouldn't smoke at all. Lately though I felt I was smoking more and I became more concerned about my health. I strongly urge anyone that wants to quit to read his book. He discourages the use of nicotine products because they are just as addictive as cigs are. So far I feel great and I don't have any withdrawal symptoms. He said it takes 3 weeks to feel the full impact of being a non-smoker.

Candyless
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-07, 16:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/247/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I read it too...same reaction as you...I just knew half way through I was done. I'm 42 and smoked for over 25 years...and NOT socially. I was a smokey smokerson! Almost two packs a day. I quit cold turkey after reading his book almost 200 days ago (over six months for the mathmatically challenged like me!!).
I suggest everyone read his book...it sure can't hurt and will most likely help!
Congrats to all quitters!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 05:43

Plan: Low carb/Atkins
Stats: 230/205/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Joey,
Congrats on being smoke free. How do you feel? I've noticed I'm not wheezing and that hacking cough is already gone. I've been smoke free for only a week though. It is so nice to be out of that nicotine trap. I read the book with really no intentions of quitting and it convinced me to kick the habit.

Candyless
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 05:49
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I read it too, that was 7 months ago! I have never looked back. I recommend it to everyone, and some people do read it and give up, some don't but if I can just influence one person to give it up, then that's good enough for me!

Great post- and Allan Carrs book is fantastic!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 08:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/247/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyless
Joey,
Congrats on being smoke free. How do you feel? I've noticed I'm not wheezing and that hacking cough is already gone. I've been smoke free for only a week though. It is so nice to be out of that nicotine trap. I read the book with really no intentions of quitting and it convinced me to kick the habit.

Candyless

I feel great not smoking. I used to cough my head off in the morning. All gone now. I don't think about smoking much anymore. Well, I *think* about it, but I have no cravings and do not want to smoke.
I also find that I don't feel like a hypocrite now when I eat well and exercise.
I felt like a fraud drinking all my water and then lighting a butt.
I did gain weight...but I have a bum thyroid too (what's left of it)...and I ate a lot of crap when I first quit. So I gained around 25 pounds.

Anyway, great decision. Love the book and I tell anyone I can about it...although I actually don't know very many smokers...most had already quit.
There's also a great site http://www.quitnet.com/ wonderful support on there.

Congrats again on your quit...you'll NEVER regret it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 14:08

Plan: Atkins/ME
Stats: 145/140/130 Female 5'6"
BF:?
Progress: 33%

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this forum. I quit smoking 1 1/2 months ago. It is going great, however, I am not losing weight on ATkins, like I had hoped. Following the diet properly, exercising and still nothing. Anyone else experience this??? I am terribly frustrated but committed to losing weight while remaining smoke-free!!
Thanks,
Cindy