Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 14:30

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

I would simply ask one question.

How badly do you want to lose weight?

Your answer is your answer. I can tell you, that when away with the boys I stayed on plan, and put up with the ribbing I got in the restaurant for leaving all my food, and the ribbing I got for drinking vodka and diet coke.

But that was for me to deal with and has no relevance to you.

If you choose to ditch the diet, I hope it does not become permanent :-)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 14:43

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
I think you want us to tell you that yes, its fine to go off plan for vacation.

Yes, it's possible you'll have no trouble returning to plan, but the odds are not in your favor so our advice is don't do it. Find a way to enjoy yourself without bread and ice cream.

It's your choice, though, but we aren't going to tell you everything will be alright when that isn't how we feel about it

Me too.......................................
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 15:44
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Aside from your "cheat week" topic, if your plan is to use the Atkins diet to reach your goal weight and then return to eating a "normal" diet that includes all the things you've "deprived yourself" from while on Atkins - I can give you a forecast of the results... You will gain back everything you lost and then start packing on more weight. That is the diet you were on while you were gaining the weight. Why would the results be any different? The statistics on losing weight and keeping it off are grim. Most people don't do the maintenance part -- they just return to their old way of eating.

I've done several LC "diets" over the years -- always thinking of them as having an end date when I reach my goal. I only hit my goal one time and I did return to my old way of eating. I did manage to maintain for 4 years by running 5+ miles a day and going back to LC eating for a few weeks when my pants got too tight. Eventually I lost the battle, started putting the weight back on and stopped the rigorous exercise routine. Over the years, I've lost from 50 to 90 pounds 5 or 6 times and always gained it back because I returned to the diet that got me fat.

I wish it had not taken me so long to figure out, but I finally got it through my head that I have to change the way I eat forever if there is any hope of reaching my goal and staying there. Since I now view what I'm doing as a lifestyle change, I don't look at the foods I don't eat the same way anymore. I'm not depriving myself -- I am saving myself -- by not eating them.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/231/175 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Aside from your "cheat week" topic, if your plan is to use the Atkins diet to reach your goal weight and then return to eating a "normal" diet that includes all the things you've "deprived yourself" from

No. Absolutely not my plan. I'm doing atkins for life, except for rare circumstances.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 16:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
I think you want us to tell you that yes, its fine to go off plan for vacation.

Honestly, no. I want to know what happens if I do return to plan. As I understand it I'll be back in ketosis in 3 days.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 16:28

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:

but it could take longer. It depends on how hog-wild you go and for how long. And of course, how stubborn your body is.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 16:37

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

If the cravings don't get to you first, you will be back in ketosis within a few days. But what most of us are getting at, is that is hard for many to get right back on plan and the cravings tend to get to us first. My first week back on plan were always the worst, major cravings and I usually gave up and binged before I even hit that first week.

There is a reason so many gain weight back and its not because they are capable of eating a "cheat" meal without issues on occasion. They gain that weight back because that one meal or that week long vacation turns the cravings loose and that sugar monster is back on the loose and going nuts again. Very hard for many people to control.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 18:10

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

It is called yo-yo diet. Google it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecrane
Hi everyone, first I want to clarify that I have not cheated. I'm begining my 4th week on phase 1 induction and I'm doing great. I've lost about 18 lbs already. Also, I am finding that I can live on induction.

Now this is a long way off, so please understand I am only asking out of curiosity. In October, I'm going on Vacation and do not want to deprive myself of ice cream / junk food / breads etc... Basically, the things we should never eat. I'm going to stay on induction from now till then, and will not have a problem returning to induction imediatly afterwards. My will power is pretty good. Hence I am 'planning' this cheat weak.

How much damage will this do? Will I gain water weight that will shed quickly in 1-2 weeks? Or will I gain back everything I lost from now till then?

Just curious. I apreciate all your input.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 18:53
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed

Quote:
No. Absolutely not my plan. I'm doing atkins for life, except for rare circumstances.

Well, that is good to hear. In all those years of failure that I endured, I never actually read the full Atkins plan and really had no end-game for maintenance. This time I'm going to do it the right way.

I hope you don't feel like we are all ganging up on you. It is just that your topic hits upon the very core of what we are all trying to accomplish - staying on plan, eating healhty, and reaching our goals. Nobody ever failed by sticking with the program. But every failure -- another ride up and down the weight rollercoaster -- started with something like what you first posted -- trying to justify or rationalize a cheat. You may not have the carb craving issues that a lot of us have. You may be one of those who can take a short break and get right back on plan. But I have a feeling that it will not be as easy as you think it will be. That is the word of warning that I think we are all trying to drive home.

I've stuck with my plan for 4 1/2 months now with no cheats. I'd never gone longer than a month without a "break" or "reward" on previous attempts. What I've learned is that this program gets easier and easier the longer you stay low carb. Six months ago, I could not imagine a life without bread, pizza, pasta, sweet treats, etc. The first month or two, I kind of felt like I was in a food desert -- with nothing I was eating giving me the same pleasure and excitement of those old carby favorites. As time went on, I lost weight at a nice clip, started feeling a whole lot better, and missed those old carby favorites less and less. I've learned to do more with lc food and make the diet more interesting. The temptation to go off plan is less and less everyday. I like the place where I am now -- kind of on LC cruise control. Eating low carb is my life now and I enjoy it more every day. For the first time in a long time, I see myself reaching my goal. I would never have experienced this if I hadn't made a point to avoid cheating at all cost.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-14, 22:18

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
How much damage will this do? Will I gain water weight that will shed quickly in 1-2 weeks? Or will I gain back everything I lost from now till then?

Just curious. I apreciate all your input.

Over Christmas I went normal carb. Here is what happened:

Frankly no one knows what will happen to you. Well, we do know that you will gain the water weight back. You'll gain back some fat too. After that? Dunno. Some find LC to be slower the second time around. Going low to high for a week and back to low did little or nothing for me.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 02:56

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I hope you don't feel like we are all ganging up on you. It is just that your topic hits upon the very core of what we are all trying to accomplish - staying on plan, eating healhty, and reaching our goals. Nobody ever failed by sticking with the program. But every failure -- another ride up and down the weight rollercoaster -- started with something like what you first posted -- trying to justify or rationalize a cheat. You may not have the carb craving issues that a lot of us have. You may be one of those who can take a short break and get right back on plan. But I have a feeling that it will not be as easy as you think it will be. That is the word of warning that I think we are all trying to drive home.

This.
As someone else said, no one really knows what will happen if you go off Atkins for a week then back on. Everyone's different.
However, for a lot of us, doing something like that led to disaster, so that's why most of us are not recommending it.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 06:49
Registered Member

BF:

Okay. I will carefully consider your warnings. I never considered myself "carb addicted" but now you have me thinking of carbs like cigarettes or heroine. I don't feel at all compelled to leave plan. I'm very happy eating red meat all the time. Just thought I'd enjoy some waffles / doughnuts / beer on vacation... My naturally thin g/f has me taking her to a food and wine festival on our vacation. I don't mind, and it doesn't bother me to see other people eat pasta / cake in front of me.

You may have talked me out of leaving plan. If i dont crave carbs, why eat them? Thanks forum.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 08:13

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I think that's a good point. Coming back from the holidays I found I just didn't want to eat carbs.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-14, 17:45

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

You need to do what you feel is right for you. Nobody can decide this for you.

As for me, I went off for a week, (we went on a cruise) and I ate anything and everything that I wanted. I really did not drink a lot of regular soda, did not have the taste for it, so I just stuck with coffee/tea/milk/juice.

When I got home this last Friday night, I knew that I was going back low carb on Saturday, and I did just that. The only thing that I really noticed is that I was more hungry though out the day again, still feel this after being back on 5 days, it does seem to be getting better now though.

When I weighed in on 6-6, I was 204, and on 2-14 I was up to 211.5, 7.5 pound gain for me. As of this morning, I was back down to 208, so down 3.5.

Would I do it again, you bet! I will be going off again for vacation in December and possibly for my birthday in October for a day or two. This is a WOE for life, however I do not think that you have to pass up a vacation or a holiday here and there for the rest of your life. The key is, always set a date to get back on plan and stick to it!

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-14, 04:20
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringamajig
You need to do what you feel is right for you. Nobody can decide this for you.

As for me, I went off for a week, (we went on a cruise) and I ate anything and everything that I wanted. I really did not drink a lot of regular soda, did not have the taste for it, so I just stuck with coffee/tea/milk/juice.

When I got home this last Friday night, I knew that I was going back low carb on Saturday, and I did just that. The only thing that I really noticed is that I was more hungry though out the day again, still feel this after being back on 5 days, it does seem to be getting better now though.

When I weighed in on 6-6, I was 204, and on 2-14 I was up to 211.5, 7.5 pound gain for me. As of this morning, I was back down to 208, so down 3.5.

Would I do it again, you bet! I will be going off again for vacation in December and possibly for my birthday in October for a day or two. This is a WOE for life, however I do not think that you have to pass up a vacation or a holiday here and there for the rest of your life. The key is, always set a date to get back on plan and stick to it!

Good luck to you in whatever you decide to do.

This is more or less the experience I'm anticipating.