Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 19:26

Plan: Paleo/Low Cal
Stats: 000/000/200 Male 5 ft 10 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your foot. Do you think your toe might be broken?
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 19:34

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't think it's broken since I can still move it without it hurting. Perhaps I just twisted the phalanges on my big foot and that's where the cracking sound came from. Or perhaps I moved some cartilage between the bones when I smashed it between the door. It only hurts when I squeeze the area that got smashed, so I'm thinking I just really traumatized the bone and cartilage, as well as surrounding tissue by smashing it in the door.

Hopefully I don't get a cancerous growth there or anything..I doubt that'd be likely since it takes forever for anything to heal, so rapid cell growth doesn't seem like much of a factor here. Plus the fact I'm downing 5K IU's Vitamin D3 a day and getting adequate sleep. I think I'm going to be just fine, and I'll try not to move the foot bone too much if it hurts or is swollen tomorrow.
  #153   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 20:12

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo
I don't think it's broken since I can still move it without it hurting. Perhaps I just twisted the phalanges on my big foot and that's where the cracking sound came from. Or perhaps I moved some cartilage between the bones when I smashed it between the door. It only hurts when I squeeze the area that got smashed, so I'm thinking I just really traumatized the bone and cartilage, as well as surrounding tissue by smashing it in the door.

Hopefully I don't get a cancerous growth there or anything..I doubt that'd be likely since it takes forever for anything to heal, so rapid cell growth doesn't seem like much of a factor here. Plus the fact I'm downing 5K IU's Vitamin D3 a day and getting adequate sleep. I think I'm going to be just fine, and I'll try not to move the foot bone too much if it hurts or is swollen tomorrow.

The ability to move the bone is not mean that the bone is or isn't broken. The lack of pain could be because of a damaged nerve which emits no pain. This is just a speculation. I wouldn't hurt to get the lttle fella checked out. Hope all is well. Eat your meat.

Black57

Last edited by black57 : Sun, May-20-07 at 20:38.
  #154   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 20:56
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/ IF
Stats: 162/128/130 Male 175
BF:
Progress: 106%

[QUOTE=capo]Congrats on the academic cap. Outstanding . And sorry the door attacked your toe. If it is broken, there's not much they can do unless it is a compound fracture, which should be obvious from the look and feel of it. If the levers and pulleys still work as advertised it won't be compound. Even if it is nerve damage, the very best treatment for that crushing type of injury that I have ever used (and I have had many serious crushing falls onto various parts of my body while performing) is a NSAID called ketoprofen, marketed under the brand name 'Orudis SR' (the SR bit stands for slow release). Whereas every other NSAID I have ever used is variously effective for pain and to a certain limited extent for post injury inflammation, ketoprofen works quite remarkably on both and also seems to speed recovery and early mobilisation. The first time I was prescribed it for a bad backwards fall from several metres onto my coccyx, I was concerned that being able to mobilize the injured vertebrae and surrounding tissue 'prematurely' probably wasn't such a good idea. Swelling and 'seizing up' must happen for a reason, right? But to my astonishment the immediate reduction in swelling and next day mobilization from an injury that would definitely have had me horizontal for several weeks, has never developed any long term side effects. Too many friends and acquaintances have used it in similar circumstances for it to be just a very suitable drug for me personally, so I urge you to mention it to your local quack. If they don't know it immediately they will definitely be able to look it up. The sooner you start taking it the better. You can also now buy a topical ketoprofen OTC. I think its called (in Australia) Orudis Gel. Anyway one tab lasts 24hrs. You must take it with food too. Good luck with the toe!

Quote:
Anyway! On the way home we stopped at the CVS pharmacy drugstore and the people there were so stupid. They didn't even know where the hydrogen peroxide was, let alone where a Lugol's iodine solution would be located. Morons. They didn't get my business. I'll try a GMC tomorrow if I can, because I've been feeling cold and have a lower body temperature and heat sensitivity as of going on IF and losing weight.

If you can't get the liquid Lugol's, you might find it easier to buy the tablet form of potassium iodide/iodine, which is called 'Iodoral'. This is not nearly as good value however.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, May-20-07, 22:14

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yikes capo! Sorry about your foot! But total congrats on the graduation. I agree with black that just because you can move it doesn't mean it's not broken. But even if it IS broken there is nothing the doctor can do about it - literally, all they would do is probably tape your toes together to immobilize the hurt one (which you can do yourself for free). Hope you have a speedy recovery.