Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 18:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/168/145
BF:
Progress: 23%
Angry Not Making Any Progress with Low Carbing and My Weight

O.K. I hate to be a whiney newcomer, but I have been low carbing for about 17 days now. I initially showed a loss of about 5-6 lbs. (if my stupid scales were right) during the first few days. Since then I've gained back 1 of those pounds :-(.

Now I'm not expecting miracles, but I surely don't want to GAIN weight AND give up my beloved carbs :-). No, seriously, I am NOT craving the pasta, rice, and sweets, so that alone is a good thing. I am sleeping more sound through the night (not having to get up to go to the bathroom) ... another good thing. I am working out with weights and doing aerobic exercise most every day. I'm not new to exercising, I've been a pretty regular exerciser for over 5 years now (I have every exercise video known to mankind :-). The thing is that I feel HUGE!!!!! AND, the other thing that has me worried is that I have one of those scales that measures body fat percentage and it has gone UP 2% since low carbing!!!! I had reasoned that maybe the lack of seeing a weight loss had to do with gaining muscle ... which would explain the pound I gained back. But, then I did the body fat thing and that had increased too!!! If I'm gaining muscle the body fat percentage should be going down! Boo Hiss!!

Sooooooo, I guess that my question here is this. Has anyone else had an initial loss and then started to gain weight back? I keep looking at that blue cheese dressing and wondering if it is going to make my weight problem worse in the end?? Someone help me out here! I've done so good sticking to this way of eating that I don't want to mess it up in a panic! I really do keep my carbs down low. So, will this weight fall off, or will I start to look like the Incredible Hulk before long? Ugh!

Thanks guys!
Debbie

P.S. I should also mention that I have consistently been in ketosis since about the third day into low carbing. I just can't figure it out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 19:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Debbie, you have to give this more than 17 days ! The fact that you lost initially is an indication that LC is working for you. The fact that you're not new to exercising and are still doing so and gained a lb is not surprizing. Especially if you've come from a low calorie, low fat protein restricted WOE - your body is making use of the good quality fat and protein that you're feeding it to do some catching up.

Have you been religiously drinking your water? This will make a difference in two things - how bloated or 'huge' you feel and what your body fat % scale reads (those things can be off by as much as 7% by the way). Water is essential for fat loss - the more you drink the better the results.

I suggest you start a Journal in the Bootcamp section of the forum so we can better offer advice - you could be eating too little or eating too much (very unlikely). Do you have a history of yo-yo dieting? All these things will effect your rate of loss. Please keep in mind that it is only possible for women to safely lose 2 lbs of fat a week - anything more is water (or worse, lean muscle)

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 20:16

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%

Hi there!

I don't think you are a whiner, it is frustrating to gain on a diet! There are tips on the orange bar above that you can review, but I'll list a few things I can think of!

1. Are you drinking enough water ? There have been numerous threads on the importance and function of water to/for the diet. Divide your weight by two and multiply by thirty to get the amount of ml to drink per day. IE: 166#/2= 83X30 is 2490 ml or basically 2.5 liters MINIMUM per day for me.

2. Hidden carbs - Use the carb counter, the hidden carb finder, fitday.com and any other resource to monitor your carbs. I don't usually micromanage my carbs, but it seems some people are really sensitive and you may have to. Since my stall I've really had to pay attention to this!

3. Also make sure your carbs are coming from pure "fresh" sources as opposed to mixing too many allowed but not fresh sources. Fresh carbs would be your green veges, allowed fruits. Make you carbs count for healthy foods.

4. Find strength and comfort in the ways you ARE improving - like the better sleeping, etc that you mentioned.

5. Don't give up - your weight may flucuate daily and weekly , but trending over a several months should see you losing weight or size as you reshape.

6. Find out what vitamins you need. Most of the plans recommend supplements - read the books and use the advice to formulate your personal blend of these for optimal health and weight management.

7. Also if you read enough threads here, you'll notice that starvation is not the way to go - I use fitday.com to monitor what my calorie count is. I usually pick at random a few days - it can be time consuming to punch in everyday.

Whew!
I'm tired of preaching! There are many other things to consider. Inform yourself as much as possible - read, search, learn. Sorry you are having a time of it and I hope you get some good insight from this great web site!
GOOD LUCK!
maryb
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 06:51

BF:
Default Thanks so much for the Reassurance!

Well, I just sat here and read your posts outloud (because my husband is doing this with me), and we both looked at each other and said "We need to drink more water".
So maybe that's the key for us. Starting today we are going to make sure that we get all our water in. And yes, I guess you could say that I have been a yo-yo dieter for quite a while now. It's just that it gets frustrating to see a gain (even if it's only a pound), but hearing words of encouragement from others gives me the strength to keep going!! Thanks so much for all the great advice!

Debbie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 07:58

BF:
Default Re: Thanks so much for the Reassurance!

Quote:
Originally posted by 57firmie
And yes, I guess you could say that I have been a yo-yo dieter for quite a while now.

Take a look at this thread , Debbie, it'll will give you an idea of what yo-yo dieting does and of course reassure you that you're not alone in this.

Upping water intake should make a big difference for both of you - I know that when I drink less than 3 litres a day I feel it the next day.

Hang in there and keep posting,
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:24

BF:
Default Yep, 3 liters is exactly what I figured that I need daily!

Hey Nat!

It looks like your height and weight and mine are very close to being the same. When I first registered here my scales said that I was 168 and according to that scale I lost 5 lbs. in the first few days. We bought a new scale in the middle of low carbing (the body fat % "monster"), and it says that I weigh 170 (another depressing thing - Ugh!). This is the most I have ever weighed in my life ... except for when I was pregnant with each of my children! And, my height is 5'7.5" ... close to your height. So, I had already figured out that I needed to drink at least 3 liters of water (just like you :-). I am BAD about drinking water ... never been a big water drinker ... but that IS going to change!
Anyway, thanks for your help. How long have you been low carbing ... and if it's not too personal ... how old are you? I will be 45 in August and I'm fighting this peri-menopausal weight gain thing until the end!!!

Debbie

P.S. How do you make changes to the weight stats that appear below your user name? (Just in case I ever HAVE A CHANGE!!)
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:34

BF:

Debbie, all those options can be located under the "profile" icon at the top right of every page (right next to the register icon) - you click on modify and make your changes then hit 'submit' by doing this you'll get the percentage icon moving.

You can also check out a members personal info by clicking on their profile link at the bottom of every post - if they've filled in the information it will be there. I'm 35 and I started LCing on August 3, 2001 - so exactly 26 weeks (how the time flies!).

Deciding on a goal weight can be a tricky thing - I picked 162 just 'because' - the numbers have stopped meaning as much to me as they did when I started out - I'm more interested in body fat percentage now. If I end up a lean 170lbs I'll take it

Drinking that water will make a big difference - give it a few days you'll see.

Nat
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 11:03

BF:
Thumbs up What an accomplishment!!!

Wow!!! 67 lbs. in 6 months ... That's something to really be proud of! I know with your commitment to LCing and Body for Life program (gotta love those weights), you'll be at goal in no time now. I would love to lower my body fat percentage also, even if I don't see a huge weight loss ... but weight loss would be VERY nice too .
Just had to congratulate you on your LCing success.

Debbie
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 12:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

57firmie

You might also want to start taking measurements. They sometimes tell more than weight on the scale. I get more thrill and motivation out of inches gone than pounds gone. My measurements have dropped a whole 3.5 inches in the last week, yet I haven't lost a single pound.

There are all kinds of ways to tell if this is working for you, besides the number on the scale. The easiest, if you feel better, and your clothes are getting looser, then magical things are happening. Hang in there. You're making progress. Just stick to it and you will be rewarded.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 14:50

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Measure.. Measure... Measure

Hello Debbie,

I know how frustraing it is to see the scale move in the wrong direction.... One thing that I found when I started back to the gym, was the scale was not moving... and a few times in the upwards position But when I measured myself I was so suprised.... I had lost quite a few inches...

I will be measuring again tonight ... and think that I will do so on the 1st and 15th of every month.

Does your gym have fat caliber testing... I did this last time I was on low carb and was amazed at the changes... it shows you what you have gained in muscle....

Take care and don't give up....
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:17

BF:
Smile Thanks again Ladies!!

As I sit here and drinking my third liter of water for the day , I have been totally convinced to continue on my LCing journey by all you wonderful ladies here.

Wow, 17.25 iches in 13 weeks ... and 3.5 inches in ONE week. Way to go! Did those 3.5" all drop off one place , like can I look forward to waking up a month from now and my waist will be 3.5" smaller ... wishful thinking I'm going to make sure and record my measurements just in case the scale doesn't want to move again.

Thanks again!

Debbie
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 15:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Smile

57firmie,

All the details about my inches lost, and my ongoing battle with trying to coax the same pound to let go are posted in my journal. I've also posted a graph of my weight loss, to make the point that we need to learn to deal with ups and downs. The start page is here:

AngelaR's Small Victories

Go to the last page of the journal to get the info about the inches gone.

If you haven't already started a journal, it's a great way to keep track of your own progress, post your frustrations and successes, and make new friends.

The main page for the journals is at

Bootcamp/Journals