Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 02:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/168/??? Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default South Beach or Atkins

After a loooong hiatus I am back to these forums.

A quick summary: Was 190 lbs, started Atkins (all the way into the second stage whose name escapes me) and went down to 168 lbs. Eventually I started slacking off...eating the bad stuff. Started to gain weight again so decided to start induction, however this time it just didn't work as well. I was working out regularly and still no weight loss during induction.

Fast forward to now and I kept reading reports of how south beach as a 'healthier', and somewhat 'easier' alternative. I just bought the books and i'm thinking of trying this out. So I suppose my questions are: What are the major differences in the two diets, and are there any former atkins followers who are now doing south beach?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 10:33

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

I have been doing South Beach for almost 6 months now. South Beach is about using good carbs and good fats. I think it is much more versitile than Atkins. I can have carbs in reasonable amounts as long as they are good carbs. It is a whole foods approach. Processed foods are mostly discouraged. White stuff is a no-no. After the induction period (which is used to get rid of the carb cravings) the variety is great. Hope you get the books from the library and read them. Also there is a web site called mizfrog that is very helpful because it keeps up with changes in the diet that may not be in the version of the book that you are reading. Hope you have a great adventure with this, I know i am.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-19-05, 10:39

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 231/202/154 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:37%/34.1%/25%
Progress: 38%

I changed from atkins to SBD and like you I had a good weight loss with atkins and I to start slacking off and some weight gained, I tried to do the atkins again I just could'nt get into it, so here I am on the SBD, the two diet's have the same princable but are very different, Im finding the SBD a little more diffacult because there is so much more to have on the SBD (which is a good thing) I think I need a restrictive diet my taste buds are all over the place at the moment
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 23:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 303/282/230 Male 71 inches
BF:40
Progress: 29%

I have done both diets. In my experience, Atkins works well when the carbs are zero and the body has moved into ketosis. The problem I had is that almost any carbs at that point will kick me back out of ketosis and stall any progress. SBD, on the other hand, allows good carbs and ther eis not the constant worry and checking of the urine. My progress is slower, but I am eating so much better. 5 vegs a day and the proteins. Occasional small fruit and it is something I feel I can continue doing for many months as my body changes. On Atkins I was climbing the wall desiring any carb after a few weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 21:04

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/153/150 Female 5' 6.5''
BF:
Progress: 91%

I have been at my current weight (somewhat higher than I would like but in the normal range) since May last year - loosing 25 lbs in about 4-5 months before that. South Beach is easy to maintain - realistically, you don't want to count carbs for life. And the variety, as was said before, is high, though you need to watch out against processed carbs and high fat.

What seems clear is:

- if you have a lot of issues with portion control, cravings, and can't handle rules that say: "ok but only in moderation", Atkins is better because ketosis really controls hunger, and SBD tends to tell you that certain foods may or may not be ok depending on you. The rules are more: try out if it is ok for you.
- if you have issues with high cholesterol etc., SBD is likely to be better for you and more likely approved by your doc (though there are counter examples: Isiar on this forum - who seems to have left - did South Beach and had high values, and there are Atkins folks whose cholesterol went down).
- SBD is easier to follow if you are vegetarian because most veggies aren't restricted at all.
- Atkins is cheaper - low fat meats, and fish and fresh veggies, the essence of the "as natural as possible" Joesfolk correctly stated, are usually much more expensive.