Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#826   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 20:52
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am a little torn on this one. On the one hand I wonder if he made this whole apology because he started losing money and was feeling the pressure and so he had to do something. On the other hand I want to believe him and while I am still a little uncertain I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I would love to get to know him better if he came here and posted. I love it here!

I think only time will tell if he has really changed or not but I am willing to give second chances.
Sponsored Links
  #827   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 21:32

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 265/182/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't know anything about the Kevin guy at Jimmy's blog - but I think I'm crushing a bit on him! He's so fair...and funny!
  #828   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 21:48

Plan: it varies
Stats: 245/134/140 Female 5'3.5"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKarbLisa
I don't know anything about the Kevin guy at Jimmy's blog - but I think I'm crushing a bit on him! He's so fair...and funny!

and married...remember his 10th wedding anniversary...
  #829   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:24

Plan: General
Stats: 214.0/206.8/192.6 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 34%

My opine? It is hard to regain the trust, faith, and/or credibility, of another human being, if ever, once it is lost.

I am delighted to see that so many in this community who are willing to to extend out their hands in good faith and in the hopes that those things can be regained. Those that have are to be commended.

That being said, as for me? I guess couldn't find the high road everyone else is on. Sorry, but I don't agree that his public apology was some mighty display of courage. It was him ~merely~ showing he does possess the capacity to do the morally and ethically "right" thing. At least when sat upon to the point of death by crushing, anyways. I don't believe that required courage - throwing yourself on a live grenade to save your squad takes courage, publicly admitting you were wrong when it is the truth does not.

It will take a hell of a lot more than an apology to gain my respect or re-earn any of the little credibility he had with me to begin with. As I stated, though, it is a start. But I will not hold him up as the sterling example of those in the low carb community who inspire or motivate others that he craves to be and be considered, either, when there are so many better examples to choose from on any forum you wish to visit. Words are exactly that unless he can repeatedly demonstrate choosing the correct corresponding action(s) from a moral and ethical standpoint. And I will be watching.

As for the whole fatkins "article" (and I use that term loosely) fiasco from last night - I will not even dignify it with a response. It such a grotesque distortion of facts as to be scientifically offensive and I simply cannot justify the risk it poses of potentially destroying any neurons recruited to consider it.

Last edited by fetch : Sat, Jul-28-07 at 00:29.
  #830   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 05:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetch
My opine? It is hard to regain the trust, faith, and/or credibility, of another human being, if ever, once it is lost.

I can understand how you feel. I've been burned so many times that I tend to be wary in general. Leopards & spots, ya know.

Time will tell. Forgiving and forgetting are different things. But the way he articulated exactly what he was sorry for was a vast difference from his last apology. It really sounds like he gets it.

And to whoever said he might have been prompted to do this by losing money - you could be right but I can't imagine enough people buy Atkins bars through the links on his blog to make up for the money he won't be making by being an affiliate for Kimkins any more. I wouldn't think all his other affiliations added together could approach what his income potential was w/ Kimkins.

He hasn't had a personality transplant, lol, and I'm sure there will be more cases where he reacts impulsively, inappropriately, and with hostility. I don't see any vegan support groups in his calendar. But in this one, huge thing, I think he's really done the best he could to fix things. At least his heels are no longer dug in and he return to posting about low carb again. He couldn't do that very well in the past few months without there being glaring contradictions to the plan he thought he was doing.

At the very least, it's good that he's not leading people to Kimkins any more. People are free to choose Kimkins, but at least now they won't be able to substitute his opinion for their own research.
  #831   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 06:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutie 71
and married...remember his 10th wedding anniversary...

Of course! That's what makes him even more charming! It was funny though, he was trying to stay neutral but you could tell whose side he was really on!

I don't get what "producer" means as far as the show though, that was weird - Jimmy needs a producer for the podcasts? Don't you just record them and upload them? Is he Geraldo now?
  #832   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 06:51

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

Quote:
But the way he articulated exactly what he was sorry for was a vast difference from his last apology. It really sounds like he gets it.

exactly!

I am amazed it took him so long, but that's jimmy. I do think it took a lot of courage, not at the jump on the grenade level, but still...

I bet Kimmer is happy to have the big spotlight moving away from her, now she can tend to her adoring and obedient flock without so much scrutiny. In a way Jimmy actually did everyone a big favor, who knows how many people who would have considered that plan will now think twice if they google Kimkins and find all this?
  #833   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 06:57

BF:

For me, had JM simply apologized but NOT giving up his KK banner, that would have been less than sincere, IMO. But when I refreshed his page to read the announcement, the first thing I noticed was the banner gone, and that makes the biggest difference to me.

I agree though that it will take time to really see how this is going to play out. But for now, him renouncing the affiliation AND admitting that its unhealthy - that was major! No telling how many sheep he lead to the slaughter with him Kk pimping these past few months. And I wonder how many of them will be able to get their money back now?
  #834   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 07:02
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Quote:

He's very cute too.... pic on his blog.. but yeah, alas, married. Wait a minute! So am I! Gah!
  #835   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 07:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoKarbLisa
For me, had JM simply apologized but NOT giving up his KK banner, that would have been less than sincere, IMO. But when I refreshed his page to read the announcement, the first thing I noticed was the banner gone, and that makes the biggest difference to me.

I had checked his page a couple hours earlier (not knowing that the announcement was scheduled for 3pm), and the Kimkins banner was already gone. He still had a link on the side to "lots of Kimkins links", but I have to think there was a lot of stuff he had to go through and delete, so it probably took him hours to do all that, in between writing the apology post and removing the links to Kimkins.

I haven't checked yet - Does anyone know if the kimkins promoting posts have been removed from his archives?
  #836   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 07:38

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I'm not overly impressed with his apology. His fan club started drying up, and he had to salvage it. If he started posting here, I'd have a hard time believing that it would be for any reason but to generate more traffic to his blog. He's just sounded like too much of a salesman over the years.

I absolutely agree. Most people, unfortunately, follow the money. I don't know him personally, nor did I visit his blog when he was on this kick and I admit I considered it after the apology, but it's not important in my world. he's just a dude on a diet, as we all are, who chose to pay for some bandwith and spin his weight loss into a money maker.
Kimmer, on the other hand, is giving out lethal information and that's worth the effort to get the message out to people before they hurt themselves.

That said, I'm very pleased one less avenue to distribute her message the better. But I'm not about to put him up for sainthood.
  #837   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 09:51
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

So.....weary....of it.... must reach... keyboard... to argue...

I guess lately I'm just feeling like the world doesn't revolve around him. I'm glad that between intense 'good clear advice' from friends and uber-net-hysteria and contacted-sponsors that finally, after all that, after quite some time of all that, he was finally able to react to it and apologize for the things people said he should. (Or as said above, "At least when sat upon to the point of death by crushing, anyways.")

That doesn't invalidate the apology. Sometimes though it comes after so much 'junk' and comes so late, that even when it's good, it can merely function to put the reaction in 'neutral', while other people wait, sometimes a long time, to see if behavior seems to uphold a standard that seems worthy. The sad truth is that you cannot unbreak the egg of faith in someone, I guess.
  #838   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

This came in today:

From The Bottom Of My Heart, I'm Sorry
Jimmy Moore
July 28, 2007

With time away in Missouri to rest, relax, and reflect on everything that's happened over the past few months, I've now come to realize that my writing has changed in many ways and is headed in a direction that I feel isn't in the best interests of the larger audience of readers who come here. Because of that, I think today is a good day to share some of my sincere regrets, what I have learned from those, and where I recognize I need to be refocusing on from this day forward.

In the last few months I have made some very real mistakes which have caused many people to question my intentions and motivations. Admittedly, I was unwilling to listen to the criticism from those who were only trying to help me and I began growing frustrated to the point that my frustrations got the better of me.

For that, I sincerely apologize.

There has also been a growing concern from those in the low-carb community about my promotion of Kimkins. I had failed to openly disclose my affiliate relationship with that diet plan and I now realize I should have. Additionally, my insistence that Kimkins was just another low-carb diet similar to Atkins, Protein Power or South Beach as well as my posts encouraging readers to join me when I started what I believed to be the K/E option was overzealous to say the least.

Again, I apologize for not being more upfront about that.

More importantly, my refusal to properly review and then hold Kimkins to the same standard as other plans and approaches I've praised and criticized was a glaring mistake of omission for which I regret. My intentions were good, but now I can see why there were questions arising about me and my business relationship to Kimkins.

I'm sorry.

Call me stubborn, but for the life of me I could not see what the problem was; I truly believed I was indeed following K/E and honestly had not reviewed the other plans on the site. Now I know I should have.

So I am hoping today to begin anew on a path that will enable me to serve my readers here at Low-Carb Newsline, CommonVoice and at my "Livin' La Vida Low-Carb" blog and their best interests, to be cognizant of a standard of excellence I must hold myself to each and every day as I write about livin' la vida low-carb, and remember the all-important bigger picture--YOU, my readers, our common goals and desires, our interconnectedness that makes us an online community on the same path, finding what works for each of us along the way and our mutual agreement and understanding that for the long-term, good health is attainable with healthy low-carb living.

http://www.commonvoice.com/article.asp?colid=7433
  #839   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 14:13

Plan: Atkins fatfast->induction
Stats: 147/145/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hmmm. That was a lot more tepid than the one he posted yesterday. Yesterday he was a lot more critical of the advice kimwhoeverthehe11sheis was giving people. This one seems a bit more weasel-wordy, to me.
  #840   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-07, 14:18
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee
Hmmm. That was a lot more tepid than the one he posted yesterday. Yesterday he was a lot more critical of the advice kimwhoeverthehe11sheis was giving people. This one seems a bit more weasel-wordy, to me.

When I clicked over to CommonVoice, it was just the re-print teaser to get readers to click over to the full post on his blog.