Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: Just a general low carb
Stats: 190/188/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Need suggestions

For other ways I can exercise, without gym membership. I have a low budget, and gym is expensive.

I stretch at home almost everyday(I try to go for everyday but sometimes I'm busy until bed time), my goal in that, is to be able to do the splits, and overall flexibility.

Should I go get some work out things at say Wal-Mart? Or anyone know of things I can use at home for cardio, and strength training?

P.S. I live in an apartment so stair things wouldn't go too well for me.

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 20:54

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 254/222/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

If you live in an apartment, you already have plenty of stairs to utilize for free!!!

I really like my exercise ball for all kinds of things, especially crunches. I would also recommend a sledgehammer and the website shovelglove.com for all of your upper body needs.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 14:23

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

Just get an 18-lb kettlebell and a copy of From Russia With Tough Love or The Kettlebell Goddess Workout.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-19-10, 16:40

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Kay. Don't know if anything I do would be your cup of tea, but will post in case something gives you an idea for what would fit for you.

My exercise:

1) A mini-trampoline (rebounder) which I bought at a church thrift store. One can jump as gently or as vigorously as one chooses.

2) Callanetics. I bought the books and the videos at library book sales, and church thrift stores.

3) Strolls in safe places, in the daytime.

4) Other simple exercise and stretching routines, sometimes using stretches/poses from the Yogatic website. Her videos are free.

p://www.yogatic.com/

I wish you all the best in your movement/exercises.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-20-10, 11:39

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Bands are fantastic. They are quiet, take up very little space and most importantly, they work really well. Get the Total or Economy fitness package.
http://resistancebandtraining.com/s...ining-packages/
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Just a general low carb
Stats: 190/188/130 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 3%

Well thanks for the suggestions! I bought a fitness dvd, so I'm going to try that out, and I'm going to look into the bands, I tried them before, they were so easy to use, but the next day? OUCH!

A mini trampoline is actually a really good idea, thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 18:11

Plan: >60 carbs, 1500 cals
Stats: 175/159/135 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Before I earned enough to join a gym, I was a huge fan of exercise DVDs. I don't know your fitness level, but if it's beginner, the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos are good cardio for uncoordinated people who just want to get moving. I tried a few Bollywood-dance style DVDs that were much more complicated but quite a workout. I think Hemalaya Behl was the instructor's name. And Jackie Warner does a good circuit training video - the second one, not the first one. The first one sucked. And she has a new one coming out soon.

If you're not on the ground floor, do your downstairs neighbors a favor and get a mat to work out on, especially if you have non-carpeted floors. My upstairs neighbor does aerobics on the hardwood and drives me batty. On the other hand, my downstairs neighbors play mariachi music at 4 AM, so sometimes I do jumping jacks in boots just to pay them back. So if your downstairs neighbors are jerks, really go for it.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 06:09

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/275/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

I love Leslie Sansone too! I just slipped a couple disks in my back with Yoga, silly me, and I'm waiting to see if the neurosurgeon can get it under control without surgery, so I am restricted to walking 1/2 hour, 3 times a day. I usually exercise 1 to 2 hours daily, swimmming, Yoga, walking, stretch bands, Wii fit, Wii dance, ect... so I am in hell. In talking with PT, for weight loss walking is excellent! Good luck and do what you love!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-10, 11:51

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

I got a treadmill on Craigslist for $175. It's a folding one which is really nice. I opted for one of the nicer ones I saw on Craigslist, so there were others listed as low as $50 and $60.

I'm not big on walking outside because I'm so sensitive to temperature. There are only about 4 months out of the year where I live where I don't get ridiculously uncomfortable walking outside.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-29-10, 07:50
Registered Member

Plan: Anabolic Diet
Stats: 219/186/182 Male 195
BF:
Progress:

Bulgarian exercise bag. I made my own from a car inner tube, sand and some duct tape. Try around 15kgs. Less than $20 all in. Great for squats, presses, rows and a variety of lifts. Tucks away in the corner. Remember when you do cardio you raise your metabolism for a few hours, when you do weight work you raise it for a couple of days and you get a cardio work out to boot.