Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 17:29
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Lightbulb Women's Plus Size Online Clothing Resources

Almost everyone in the TDC speaks of wanting to buy clothes in "normal" shops. Yet some of us aren't there yet and I thought it might be fun to compile a list of great plus size online clothing sources.

Most of us already know Lane Bryant and Roaman's, but let's expand our clothing horizons while we shrink our waistlines.

Here's what I suggest ... name the business / web address, size range and any comments you might have.

Coldwater Creek
Misses XS - Women's 3X
Very pretty, feminine clothes / shoes / accessories; moderately priced. Their catalog designers make the most gorgeous color layouts - it's worth getting it (free) just for the eye candy.

Making It Big
22W - 44W
Simple, natural fiber clothing and accessories; plus size models so can truly get an idea of how something might look on you; free catalog; environmentally friendly and most clothes are made in the US; priced expensive-ish.

Silhouettes
12W - 32W (many styles up to 6X)
Good collection of casual clothing, nice fabrics, free catalog.

Junonia
14W - 40W
Real activewear; well made casual clothes; swimsuits; free catalog; plus size models; expensive-ish.

Pretty Petite's Collection
Up to 3X / 4X
I almost want to keep this link to myself because I'm hoping to bid one day on one of their fabulous tie-dye dresses. Business is located in Singapore, but shipping seems reasonable and the clothes are inexpensive.

alight.com
Size 14W - 32W
Formal, slinky, hip clothing. Priced ~ moderate.

Zaftique
18W - 40W
Fun, hip, casual, colorful clothing. Priced ~ Moderate plus.

Torrid
12 - 26 (some 28)
Sexy, flirty "casual, club and work wear". Priced ~ Moderate plus.

Size Appeal
1X - 4X (some up to 6X)
Vamps 'R Us. Bold, fashionable, sexy 'curvy' clothes / accessories / lingerie; plus sized models. Priced ~ Moderate plus.

Ulla Popken
12W - 38W
Casual, European styling; well made; expensive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 19:19
On my way to goal

Plan: General lower carb
Stats: 220/210.4/180 Female 68 inches
BF:Top Weight = 323lb
Progress: 24%

I don't actually have any to add but I'm going to enjoy checking each of these out. Great idea AntiM!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 19:50

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%

AntiM - your posts are so wonderful. Thank you!! And to anyone else who pops in on this thread, I'd really just like to express my gratitude for every single person I've "met" on this site. You all just make my heart melt. I'm so proud of you all, and so privileged to be among you...

Ahem (sniffle) back to the point of this thread: the only source I can think of to add is Ebay!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 20:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

This is a great idea Monika!! Thank you!!

I'm going to get a link and be right back!!

http://www.avenue.com

This is a chain of large size stores that I used to work for as a buyer. They have sizes 14-32. They make very nice quality at moderate prices and their specifications are ample!! They have nice career clothes too!!

I recently bought jeans there in a size 14 so I won't be able to shop there if and when I lose some more weight.

I have bought from junonia and found their quality and pricing not too great!! Lane Bryant gives much better prices for the same quality and their size specs are ample.

Last edited by Judynyc : Sat, May-07-05 at 20:08.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 20:41

Plan: restrt Atkns 2/10/05 ~218
Stats: 230/186/120 Female 65 inches
BF:don't/rub/itin
Progress: 40%

Just checked out Ulla Popken site; they have a large spring/summer clearance section with good prices, and a web specials section with really great prices. Both sites had dressy dresses as well as sportswear and loungewear. Great tip, AntiM!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 21:04

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 402/299/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 51%
I’ve had this site book-marked for a while. It lists online plus-size stores at the “mall” main page: http://www.elegantplus.com/Plus-Size-Clothing-Mall.htm

And there’s a special page for those stores that carry sizes over 26/28: http://www.elegantplus.com/Mall/supersize.htm

I haven't shopped many of these stores online. I usually buy from LB, Roamans or Junonia. As for Junonia, they can be expensive, but I’ve only found quality items there. I have only bought pants and (Quikwik) underwear from them, but they’ve lasted me years. There was some light mending, but they were/are still mendable! (my Lane Bryant/Roamans pants, OTOH, wear away too easily in the thigh area.)

I also notice that the supersize link also lists Catherine's and FashionBug Plus, two stores I've made "live" purchases from back home in Staten Island.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 22:08
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up

Yay! I'm glad you guys think this was a good idea.

Tigerstar ~ I could have skipped my original post and just put up those links. I'll be busy for hours, now.

Judy ~ I used to work at The Avenue in the early 90's (it was called Smart Size at the time around here). That was a wonderful experience, helping women find flattering clothes. I was known for 'telling it like it is' and developed a loyal customer base. Too bad we didn't work commission! Regarding the clothes themselves, I found great prices, but the quality was so-so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
I have bought from junonia and found their quality and pricing not too great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerstar
As for Junonia, they can be expensive, but I’ve only found quality items there.

I think these kind of personal experiences will be really helpful for people reading this thread, too. Keep 'em coming, ladies!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 22:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Jessica London
Sizes: 14W to 34W, 1X to 3X (extended sizes up to 5X available on some items)
Price: Moderate, with great sales from time to time
I love that they have such a good selection for us short people! Finding jeans to cover my rump and don't drag the ground for a mile is a minor miracle, but often managed here. They also have a great return policy - no questions asked, quick response. The only thing I have a problem with is their billing - if you ask for deferred billing, make sure they bill you on the day specified. Twice they've billed way early on me. Also, their credit card program leaves a lot to be desired...they haven't a clue what they're doing.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 22:38
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I would add Lands End (www.landsend.com). Click on women and then on plus sizes. They have great bathing suits up to size 26 and I like their shirts, shorts, and pants as well.

L.L. Bean has also started to carry some plus sizes and Eddie Bauer carries shirts for tall women in sizes up to XXL. That's a real find for those of us with long arms!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-07-05, 22:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/283/250 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

this was a good idea...but i refuse to buy anymore clothes until i can fit clothes at "normal" stores.....and feel comfortable trying them on in the store
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 06:14

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

A nice thing about Lands' End online is that they have an overstock section, often including plus sized garments, that are deeply discounted. And if you don't like something, you can return it at any Sears store, saving return postage.

I have mixed feelings about Junonia. I do think they are expensive, but I admire the company and the catalog so much that I like to patronize them from time to time. I love their dedication to women's fitness (women of all sizes, of course). I would say, however, that very few of their things are suited to the shorter plus size woman (i.e. me).
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 07:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

My daughter swears by the jeans at Avenue. They no longer carry her size 32s online, though, so you have to go to the actual store to buy them. And they do last forever it seems. One thing I've noticed is that Avenue always has a lot of size 14-16s in their clearance section, which is good for me now. I don't think very many "regular" size women shop in the plus size stores.

I also find inexpensive stuff at Walmart and Fashion Bug. I don't want to spend a fortune on clothes when I am still losing, but I really like to have a variety of things to wear.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 07:22

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
I have bought from junonia and found their quality and pricing not too great!! Lane Bryant gives much better prices for the same quality and their size specs are ample

I must respectfully disagree. I think Lane Bryant (catalog) quality is very very poor. In my experience it is both poorly constructed and made of cheap materials.

The items I've owned from Junonia have always been of the highest quality and I've gotten lots and lots of wear from them before it started to show. Specifically, I've owned a number of their bathing suits and have found them to be of the highest quality. I would highly recommend them for anyone looking for excersize clothes.

AntiM, you forgot my very favoritist place. Big on Batik. They are a little more expensive, but the quality is fabulous. I have dresses from them I've been wearing for 3 years that are only beginning to show wear, and that's with a rotation of 5 dresses that I wore 90% of the time and ran through the regular wash. Quality is very high, and I've always gotten fantastic customer service.

I especially want to highlight this dress because the bodice is completely smocked with elastic and the smaller size should fit 4X all the way down to 1X. I bought the black one with dragonflies and it's beautiful. I'm just getting to 4X and the skirt and bodice fit just fine, but I'm waiting a few more weeks until I lose enough in my arms for the sleeve to not be tight. I hate tight sleeves.

Sorry, a little enthusiastic. I thought others would be interested in a dress that can easily be worn for 4 sizes. I'm thinking of getting a second one.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 07:50
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

For professional clothes, if you are willing and able to pay for them, Talbots (www.Talbots.com) has very nice plus-sized clothes up to size 24. I watch their stores and website for sales.

When I wore above a size 24/26 I found it almost impossible to find professional clothes. Does anyone have any suggestions for women in this size range who can't or don't want to wear casual clothes all the time?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-08-05, 08:03
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey! Is this a "women's only" thread?!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemde
I also find inexpensive stuff at Walmart and Fashion Bug. I don't want to spend a fortune on clothes when I am still losing, but I really like to have a variety of things to wear.

I hear you there Dianne, and I'm finally at the place where my clothes size won't be changing anymore (small shirts and size 32 pants), but I'm still going to be buying most of my clothes at Wal-Mart! The price is just too good and they have fine enough things for me (I'm a guy after all).

I may go to the mall a little just for the "experience" and to feel like a normal person, but otherwise, I'll stick to the cheaper places...