Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-17, 12:09

Plan: Keto, IF
Stats: 224/136/124 Female 64 inches
BF:44%/23%/20%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I asked our library to buy Undoctored & they did - so I got to be the first person to read it. So far only one other person has read it.

For someone who has read Dr. Bernstein, posts here & at other lchf sites, there wasn't much that was new. But I did appreciate his brief mention of hunger. Too often I've seen people say they are never hungry eating lchf; but I do get hungry - sometimes very much so.

Dr. Davis said that while we get hungry eating lchf, it's not the insane gotta-eat-NOW & gotta-eat-everything-in-sight hunger of the carb addict. I like the distinction. I'm going to have to check the book out again to write down how he said it - it's worth repeating.

This difference in hunger is an interesting observation and I agree wholeheartedly
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Aug-07-17, 04:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
I joined the site yesterday and one thing that did impress me is that I noticed when I joined that there was a "meetup" at 1PM yesterday so I figured I would see what it was. It was a live (in real time) interactive discussion with DR Davis via a platform called "Zoom" with both audio and video so you could see who else was there (You could also hide yourself if you did not want to be seen). Dr Davis answered people's questions and brought up a few things on his own. It was interesting. It remains to be seen how useful this feature will be for me but it is something most sites don't provide. He clearly wants to build a community and members can form their own meetup groups for live discussions.
I believe Virta Health has incorporated a similar "community meet-up" function within their program too. There can be group meetings with dieticians or doctors, or group meetings for people on the program to talk through their challenges, meal plans, etc.
Dr Westman talked about small groups at LCSanDiego. FB Live and other "meeting" technologies used by business will eliminate the need for being in the same physical space. Can see how the WW concept will continue to lose members with programs like this!
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 12:18

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I got my copy about 10 days ago, and now I've given it to my husband to read. I agree with others that most of this is not new but still helpful. I've had this feeling about our health care system for a long time and I have opted out of it as much as possible. I have been on medication for low thryoid for 25 years, and that probably won't change, but I'm going to do my best to make sure I don't have to get on any other long-term prescription meds.

I also agree with quote that is on Tom Naughton's review of the book:

Quote:
There’s no ham in hamburger, Grape-Nuts don’t have grapes or nuts, and health does not come from healthcare. There is a continual push to medicalize human life. Shyness is now “social anxiety disorder” to justify “treatment” with antidepressant medication; binging in the middle of the night is now “sleep-related eating disorder” to justify treatment with seizure medication and antidepressants; obesity, declared a disease by the FDA, justifies insurance payments for gastric bypass and lap-band. Don’t be surprised if sometime soon, bad dreams, between-meal hunger and excessive love of your cat are labeled diseases warranting treatment. I was reminded of what Dr. Malcolm Kendrick wrote in Doctoring Data: normal human conditions are now classified as diseases just in time to be diagnosed and treated with a new wonder drug.

I've observed this just from seeing all the commercials that are aimed at these kinds of things, with new drugs being touted to treat these "diseases".
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-17, 13:04
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

After reading Dr. Fung's newest blog post, I wonder if there's anything fasting doesn't make better.

Losing weight always leads to better cholesterol numbers.

Fasting leads to weight loss which leads to lower BG readings which leads to more weight loss.

As far as my n=1 goes, fasting cured everything that ailed me. Undoctored is what I am.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 06:29

Detailed new post about the similarities of a Paleo Diet vs UnDoctored Diet (many, 90%) and long explanations of the differences, e.g. Dairy is allowed under limited conditions that are "dose-dependent" favoring fermented products with products listed, why you should include some tubers, legumes, etc.
It is a good post for anyone trying to pin point food sensitivities or digestive issues.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2017/09/7455/
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-17, 07:14

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Excellent comparative analysis by Davis. Very useful to better understand the things emphasized for health in his "Undoctored" program. The following quote from his post:

Quote:
One of the difficulties with the paleo diet is that there are as many variations as there are proponents (there is no one paleo diet). Some limit saturated fat, others do not. Some limit salt, others do not. Some say oats, quinoa, and buckwheat are okay, others say they are not. Think of it: The Paleolithic diet of the African savanna was different from the Paleolithic diet of northern Europe was different from the Paleolithic diet of southeast Asia was different from the Paleolithic diet of the Amazonian basin, and so on. Rather than thinking about a “paleo diet,” I think it makes more sense to ask: What was common among all preagricultural human eating habits regardless of location and climate? Several common behaviors emerge: All humans hunted and consumed the flesh and organs of animals, all consumed nongrass plants, all relied on some source of intestinal butyrate, and nobody consumed the seeds of grasses (grains). Nobody limited fat or saturated fat, and salt was something we needed and sought.

Just plug in the word "Mediterranean" for paleo and one can make the same point. Like the paleo diet, there are many approaches to the Mediterranean diet based on the fact that there are many countries on the Mediterranean with different eating customs and available foods. There are similarities, but this is something to keep in mind the next time a medical or health professional casually recommends to eat healthy, follow the Mediterranean diet.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 03:47

Nina Teicholz's book, The Big Fat Surprise has enjoyed great staying power with the fight in the BMJ over her critique of the guidelines and then the Ketogenic diet taking off. I am re-reading it now and all the errors in "data" from the Mediterranean "diet" are truly mind-boggling, starting with the observation that lard was used more for cooking. Dr Champ had a good post on The Ambiguous Diet too http://colinchamp.com/mediterranean-diet/.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 04:07

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Nina Teicholz's book, The Big Fat Surprise has enjoyed great staying power with the fight in the BMJ over her critique of the guidelines and then the Ketogenic diet taking off. I am re-reading it now and all the errors in "data" from the Mediterranean "diet" are truly mind-boggling, starting with the observation that lard was used more for cooking. Dr Champ had a good post on The Ambiguous Diet too http://colinchamp.com/mediterranean-diet/.

It have been aware of how much Nina Teicholz's discussion about the Mediterranean diet has been just ignored. It is another example of follow the money, how the olive oil industry wined and dined people in lavish fashion to promote this way of eating.

Jean
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 08:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Colin Champ's post is a very good read and illustrates how the thing called a "Mediterranean Diet" has become so distorted by our helpful health agencies trying to impose the same agenda on everyone by simply using a new term. It requires people who want to maintain health to develop a keen awareness of BS, as it seems to abound with these nutritional recommendations. Even as things seem to change, they really are the same. How many actually realize this?

It's comforting to know that Italian cuisine does not skimp on meat and fat. Champ's summary is enlightening on the "real" cuisine consumed in parts of Italy:

Quote:
The Mediterranean Diet – In Conclusion

The Mediterranean Diet – at least according to Italy, the country ensconced by the Mediterranean Sea – is certainly anything but low-fat. Delicious nutrient-dense foods, full-fat cheeses, meats, organ meats, and fish dominate. Bread, pasta, and pizza is present, but pale in comparison to the Olive Garden and other pathetic American attempts to categorize what Italians really eat. If you can muster the time and money, go to Southern Italy. The people are friendly, the food and wine is delicious, and the blend of culture, nature, and incredible views are life-changing.

His post is very thorough, touching on several topics of nutrition, and definitely worth the read. Thanks for the link, Janet.

Edited to add: As a related footnote, I recently posted my impression of the movie, "The Big Fat Fix" in another thread. I was very disappointed in this weak presentation of a healthy lifestyle, as it touted a "Mediterranean Diet" that was difficult to achieve by many, and it was extremely vague as the movie showed Dr. Aseem Malhotra and Donal O'Neill wining and dining around Italy while discussing health. I enjoyed O'Neill's two previous movies, "Cereal Killers" and "Cereal Killers II", but this movie seemed to be "mailed in", and I'm still not sure what was the primary message and agenda intended. It was extremely underwhelming. My two cents.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Thu, Sep-21-17 at 08:55.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 09:12

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Edited to add: As a related footnote, I recently posted my impression of the movie, "The Big Fat Fix" in another thread. I was very disappointed in this weak presentation of a healthy lifestyle, as it touted a "Mediterranean Diet" that was difficult to achieve by many, and it was extremely vague as the movie showed Dr. Aseem Malhotra and Donal O'Neill wining and dining around Italy while discussing health. I enjoyed O'Neill's two previous movies, "Cereal Killers" and "Cereal Killers II", but this movie seemed to be "mailed in", and I'm still not sure what was the primary message and agenda intended. It was extremely underwhelming. My two cents.

Rob - I agree with you about The Big Fat Fix. If I didn't know anything about lchf eating my take away would have been simply that it takes a lot of money to eat this way.

Jean
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-17, 12:14

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
If I didn't know anything about lchf eating my take away would have been simply that it takes a lot of money to eat this way.
That is why IF is the perfect accompaniment - eating fewer meals costs less.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 06:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...71025102223.htm

Quote:
Why Alzheimer's drugs work in the lab but not in patients

A tremendous amount of amyloid-beta peptide (Aβ, a peptide of ~40 amino acids) accumulates in the brain of Alzheimer's disease patients. Gamma-secretase inhibitors were designed to inhibit the enzymatic activity that produces Aβ. By reducing Aβ production, γ-secretase inhibitors were considered able to treat Alzheimer's disease (Aβ hypothesis). In fact, nearly 50 clinical trials have been conducted using potential γ-secretase inhibitors for Alzheimer's disease or several types of cancer. However, all of these trials have failed, except for two studies which are currently ongoing.

Osaka University scientists found that some potential γ -- secretase inhibitors such as semagacestat, which have been used in large clinical trials that ended in failure, do not function as true inhibitors as originally expected, but rather cause accumulation of toxic intraneuronal Aβ. They proved this by introducing an original method to measure direct intracellular products of γ-secretase. They commented that the application of their evaluation method may help develop truly effective drugs for Alzheimer's disease (AD). The study can be seen in Cell Reports and provides an explanation for why the clinical trials for Alzheimer's disease drugs have failed and gives new light on the discord between preclinical and clinical findings.

"Aβ accumulates in the brain at the very early stages of Alzheimer's disease," explains Osaka University Associate Professor Masayasu Okochi, an expert on the disease who managed the project. "Aβ generation is based on the activity of presenilin/γ-secretase which mediates the cellular production of Aβ."

Of the promising sets of drugs for Alzheimer's disease were γ-secretase inhibitors like semagacestat. However, a clinical trial that began almost 10 years ago was terminated early because not only was semagacestat found to fail, patient groups that received the drug showed exasperated symptoms compared to the placebo group. This finding has put great doubt into the Aβ hypothesis.

To understand this surprising finding, Okochi considered whether semagacestat is indeed a γ-secretase inhibitor. In this study, he and colleagues revealed that semagacestat does not really inhibit the target function, i.e., the cleavage performed by γ-secretase (γ-cleavage). What enabled them to reach this unexpected finding is an original method that this team established, which can measure direct products of γ-secretase (peptides of 3 to 5 small amino-acid residues which were named γ-byproducts).

Surprisingly, non-transition state analogue γ-secretase inhibitors including semagacestat did not decrease, but rather increased the levels of γ-byproducts. This finding shattered the belief that these compounds truly inhibit the proteolytic function of γ-secretase and made the researchers "look" inside neurons for further assessment. As predicted from the increased level of γ-byproducts, an accumulation of Aβ was found inside neurons derived from human iPS cells and various types of cultured cells, although semagacestat did in fact decrease secreted Aβ, as has been previously reported.

These results suggested to Okochi that semagacestat is not in fact a γ-secretase inhibitor, which is why he uses the term "pseudo γ-secretase inhibitor" in the study. Clinical tests of semagacestat tended to judge the drug based on Aβ secretion but not γ-byproducts, which could explain why pseudo γ-secretase inhibitors have been repeatedly mislabeled.

"We found the type of assay gives different results. In our assay, we found γ-byproducts in the cell membrane. Semagacestat may prevent release of γ-byproducts from the membrane but not the generation of γ-byproducts," he said.

Ironically, notes Okochi, considering his findings, he argues the failed clinical trials affirm the Aβ hypothesis.

"I believe normalization of production and secretion of Aβ by sharpening γ-secretase is the right approach to treating Alzheimer's disease. Our tests suggest that molecularly targeted therapy should be thoroughly checked from all angles before its application to clinical studies. The new function of γ-secretase suggested in this study needs further analysis, which will contribute to the development of truly effective drugs for Alzheimer's disease and several types of cancer," he said.

It seems kind of surprising, the number of clinical trials before somebody asked whether this drug actually decreased amyloid beta accumulation or not. I wonder what use a signed waiver vs. lawsuits is if you then give a medicine that has practically the opposite effect to the one that was disclosed? If it turned out that reducing amyloid beta made things worse, that's one thing they couldn't predict that, increasing instead of decreasing amyloid beta seems entirely different.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-17, 12:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
That is why IF is the perfect accompaniment - eating fewer meals costs less.

The more I go for quality, not quantity, the better it works in all ways.

When I get proper nutrition from what I eat, I can stop eating and go without eating for longer; I am not spending any more money on food than I used to, even though I am buying expensive items, I am also not spending any money in 3/4ths of the supermarket. $5 of meat or $5 of donuts? That's easy.

When I supplement for my own special challenges, I dodge the use of expensive drugs which would not help my health issues, only mask my symptoms.

As a long term investment, I am saving money.