Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 10:49

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Question low-carb for kids!

I have a 9 year old stepson who weighs 120lbs. The doctor says he need to lose weight and he is very welling to do this low carb life style as long as he can eat his mac and cheese {low carb of course!ha } My question is what is the average carbs that a kid this age can take in? Or is it something we are going to have to play around with until the ketone strips turn purple?
I posted this in the Diabetes section a while back with no response...so I thought I would ask here!
Thanks y'all ! Your always helpful and motivating!
Smile
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-14-01, 21:30
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't know anything about this, but what about gradually replacing all sweet carby stuff with natural foods like low carb fruits? Sort of more Zone-style than Atkins.

I just can't see a 9 year old giving up all his carby delights without a fight. But then, what do I know about 9 year olds?

Ask me about LC for dogs!

I think there is a Tofu Mac and Cheese posted in the recipe section. It looked pretty good!

Karen
(who had to wear "chubby" sized clothing at 10)
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-15-01, 09:33

BF:
Progress:
Talking HEE HEE!

ME TOO! I have a picture of me in a "little" black bathing suit with HIPPOS ALL OVER IT! Alwful! ha!
John is not your normal 9 year old. He turns his noise up at sweets most of the time. His thing is bread,pasta, milk, potatoes and having a need to try and eat more than anyone. You could ask him you this question..." I'll buy you any toy you want or I take you to eat anywhere you want...and you can have as much as you want...pick one." He will choose the eating. And it will be a double double cheese burger with a double order of tater touts with cheese about 3 large Dr. Peppers. And talk about happy...he will be on cloud nine for weeks talking about it. It kinda scary. Now I know about this because this is the game his mother plays with him. She thinks it's "cute". Then he get mad at me because I make him eat a normal size meal!ha! But I have given him our sweet stuff and feed him what we eats and he wants to eat like this. So I thought it was worth a try. I just didn't know where the level would be for a kid...I guess it hasn't gotten determined yet hu! Oh well I have all summer to play with this I guess, and he's pretty excited about eating roasted chicken and pot roast and shirmp! I LOVE HIM SO VERY MUCH! He's the son I was never able to have...and the little brother my daughter always begged me for!
Thanks for responding! By the way your picture looks GREAT! how much weight have you lost total?
SMILE,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-15-01, 17:49

BF:
Progress:
Default By the way...

Tell me about your LC for dog/cats? I have a really FAT CAT!
Smile,
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-15-01, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/218/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Carbohydrate Addicted Kids

Lorraine,

Have you seen the book "Carbohydrate Addicted Kids" by Drs. Richard and Rachael Heller? I've heard it is a very helpful book for kids who particularly like Carbs. They offer a "Reward Meal" every day -- so he could balance times with friends, family and have his mac. and cheese the way he likes it, plus live a healthier life.

Steph in Mexico
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 06:15

BF:
Progress:
Default Thank you Steph

I'm going to go look for it this week end! Have you read it...or tried it yet?

Lorraine
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/218/125
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking CAD for Kids

Lorraine,

No ... I have not personally read this book for my own children. I am following the CAD plan and have read some other low carbers comments on the book. Also, I have a personal friend who is following the CAD for Kids with her teenage son. They have had great "stress free" results from it. She mentioned to me that not only has her son lost a few pounds but his mood swings have completely changed (for the better). Maybe you'll find this book helpful for your son as well.

Thinking of you ... Steph in Mexico
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:12
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: By the way...

Quote:
Originally posted by rainny
Tell me about your LC for dog/cats? I have a really FAT CAT!
Smile,

I make food for the pups and don't add any grains to it, just vegetables and protein. I used to add brown rice or quinoa, but since LC, I've taken carbs out of their diet too. LOL!

Something to ponder: My neighborhood is full of discarded bread and since being LC, the Dobermann who would try scarf back whatever bread she encountered, has shown very little interest in it now. Now I have to yank her away from the chicken bones that also litter the streets. Was she a carb addict?

Here is a link to BARF--Bones and Raw Food--that is geared for dogs, but I think there is some info there for cats.

http://www.jps.net/punchie/barf.htm

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:18
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: HEE HEE!

Quote:

Thanks for responding! By the way your picture looks GREAT! how much weight have you lost total?
SMILE,

55 lbs, but I have been on a self-imposed halt for over a year.
When I'm ready, I'll take care of the rest of the poundage.

And, it is quite scary the way we reward children with food. I think if parents analyzed this and thought about all the implications, they would stop doing it.

No dessert if you don't eat everything on your plate!

Sound familiar?

Karen
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:22

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

hehe

One of my cats is 19 years old. I highly doubt his majesty would appriecate me changing his diet (even though he needs to be on one, but don't tell him that!) He is probably around 20 pounds of lazy cat. He has a rough day when he has to get up and walk into the kitchen to eat and get a drink. And lord help us if either of his dishes are halfway empty, because he comes to tell us about it.

#11   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:36

BF:
Progress:
Unhappy I know!

{No dessert if you don't eat everything on your plate!}

My hubby did this with his son when we first met. It would drive me nuts! He now understands the impact it has. we kinda compromised...I will only put small amount on the plate for the kids{about 1/2 what they should eat} that way if they want more they can get it and feel like they got seconds when they only really got the full portion. It seems to work better this way.

{I make food for the pups and don't add any grains to it, just vegetables and protein. I used to add brown rice or quinoa, but since LC, I've taken carbs out of their diet too. LOL! }

Do you have Great Danes? I have a mantle who I do 1/2 barf and 1/2 dog food. I never really thought about it being a low-carb diet...but I guess it is isn't it! I tell you what since we started doing this with him...his coat is so shinny and he doesn't have any problem with gas or dry skin!

Thanks again...
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 09:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally posted by agonycat
hehe

One of my cats is 19 years old. I highly doubt his majesty would appriecate me changing his diet (even though he needs to be on one, but don't tell him that!) He is probably around 20 pounds of lazy cat. He has a rough day when he has to get up and walk into the kitchen to eat and get a drink. And lord help us if either of his dishes are halfway empty, because he comes to tell us about it.

I really don't know how much my cat weighs...I do know if he besides to lay on my back when I'm asleep at night I will wake up gasping for air!ha! Plus I think he eats out of boredom!ha! we have to put up his food at nigh because he stuffs himself the leaves behind a awful mess. After we put his food up, he started walking threw the house crying...so we had to buy him a house to sleep in at night. He is something esle. My hubby didn't like cats until him!ha! Now we live in a ZOO! ha! I do allot of rescue of birds and cats! Been really luck in finding homes so far {knock on wood!}
Smile,
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-16-01, 20:21
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Re: I know!

Quote:
[B
Do you have Great Danes? I have a mantle who I do 1/2 barf and 1/2 dog food. I never really thought about it being a low-carb diet...but I guess it is isn't it! I tell you what since we started doing this with him...his coat is so shinny and he doesn't have any problem with gas or dry skin!

[/B]

Nope! A Dobermann and a Mystery Mutt. The MM was in bad shape when I adopted him 8 months ago. He was so thin that his head and tail looked too big for his body and his hair was falling out. The Dobe Princess has been catered to since she was 7 weeks old. Both of them look just great, especially the MM since he used to look so frail. It does wonders for dogs doesn't it?

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-17-01, 09:21

BF:
Progress:

I love dobies! They are great dogs! My dane was kinda a rescue type thing too. The people who had him had the neighbors complaining that he barked all the time, so they sent him to his moms to live. She had a 4 ft fence {he could walk over it!HA!} that he learned to jump one night after a big storm. So we ended up driving 2 1/2 hours to go get him. We send lotts of pic to them. And they are suposed to come a visit with him this summer. So it has all worked out well for everyone! He was sooooo skinny before the barf diet. And bad tummy trouble!
Smile,