Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-07-02, 18:27

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default kids

hi pj~
first of all, let me say that your web site is so great. i am fascinated by the whole rv (for lack of better word) thing. i'm really impressed!
second, the issue of your daughter and her eating. from what you stated in your post, i really don't see too much cause for worry. i have 3 girls, ages 8, 5 1/2, and 4 1/2. my oldest has also posed the "should i monitor her diet" dilemma. when i was going through my separation/divorce a few years ago, she started putting on some poundage. at first i was worried, but then let it go because at the time it was the least of my worries. since then, she has thinned out, and is normal, healthy and quite challenging at times. i think her weight gain was a combination of things. i think she was going through a growth spurt and that she was eating to comfort herself. i think i was feeding that because at the time i was too weak (emotional) to fight with her about what she was putting in her mouth, and it also made me the "nice one" to let her have whatever she wanted.
hang in there and try to just set an example. my middle one today told me she's going to stop eating sweets because she wants to grow up to be strong and healthy.
go figure
regards,
brenda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-02, 09:01

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi!

Last night about 9:30 p.m., my daughter who is 11 3/4 (notice the 3/4s....lol) announced she wants to go on my WOE. I think alot has to do with the fact that her new jeans are tight!!!

Now that Ihave myself under control I think I can help her. Like you all have said, breakfast and dinner is the same for you and your family. That is no problem, except, she hates eggs!!

Lunch was tricky.....especially today because I usually have regular food for her and after years of sandwiches and PB&J and junk items - it was a radical change.

I thought about it and gave her some prepared chicken pieces, grapes, cheese , frozen water, - and she sort of panicked a bit.
So, I let her add something of her own choice - I cannot remember what.

She can buy BurgerKing hamburgers and Pizza at school, but I am not sure if she would toss the bun and only eat the toppings - because the kids would think she was weird.

Definately going to try the celery w/PB and the meat roll ups - but I will have to supplement her with Milk and fruit. I still think she needs some of this food for growth. Unfortunately, I have a lot of snack stuff, crackers and cookies that I will have to toss.

Wish me luck and if you have any other ideas, let me know. I am also going to Barnes and Nobles to see if they have any books on this - I am going to exchange some terrible books my husband bought me for the holidays.

A Thin Me
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Returned to CALP 4/8/2
Stats: 147/143/115
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Found something that might be helpful!

This is an article about children's nutrition advocating whole foods and what appears to be a lower carb diet for them. http://www.parenting.com/parenting/...66,6735,00.html
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:33

Plan: Atkins hybrid
Stats: 300/273/150
BF:
Progress: 18%

Ooh, good thread! When I brown bag it, I take little sticks of celery covered in cream cheese and wrapped in a slice of ham. It's pretty good, and easy to handle.

Yogurt and peanut butter are higher carb foods that are often overlooked. So are nuts (if your child can eat them and their school allows them) and seeds.

As for breads or crackers, can you get them to try Wasa breads?

I respect what you're doing soooo much. If someone had coralled my carb addiction when I was a child, maybe I wouldn't have grown up to be a clinically depressed, 327 pound adult with blood pressure of 200/120. Low carbing has helped so much (I'm now 273 pounds and losing, no longer depressed, with normal BP) but it would have been so much easier not to have to go through it in the first place!
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 160/150/112 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Yoghurt

The Goddess says that active culture yoghurt "destroys carbs". How scientific/accurate is this???
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 18:43

Plan: Atkins hybrid
Stats: 300/273/150
BF:
Progress: 18%
Thumbs up it's true

Well, yes, that's true, actually. As the culture in the yogurt grows, it uses some of the carbohydrates from the dairy as fuel. The end product ends up having fewer carbs than the ingredients. I can't remember how many, though.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 22:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/197/130
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hi all, I have a 12 year old son, who is overweight.
In the beginning I would make him stuff he's used to eating, mac & chesse, spaghetti, etc. Now he actually likes my low carb meals and has asked that I make them all the time.
Turns out he was pretty worried about his weight too.
Now that he's been eating low carb dinners, its starting to rub off at school, and he's been ordering salads a couple of days a week instead all junk food every day. YEAH !