Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 22:18

Plan: Low Carb - High Nutrition
Stats: 213/175/175 Male 72 Inches
BF: Belly Fat? Yes!
Progress: 100%
Default Another reason why eating red meat could be bad for you.

Offering another reason why eating red meat could be bad for you, an international research team, including University of California, San Diego School of Medicine professor Ajit Varki, M.D., has uncovered the first example of a bacterium that causes food poisoning in humans when it targets a non-human molecule absorbed into the body through red meats such as lamb, pork and beef.

In findings to be published on line October 29th in advance of print in the journal Nature, the scientists discovered that a potent bacterial toxin called subtilase cytotoxin specifically targets human cells that have a non-human, cellular molecule on their surface. The molecule –N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc) – is a type of glycan, or sugar molecule, that humans don't naturally produce.

Subtilase cytotoxin is produced by certain kinds of E. coli bacteria, causing bloody diarrhea and a potentially fatal disease called haemolytic uraemic syndrome (HUS) in humans. Humans usually become infected after eating contaminated red meat, which is why this is also known as "hamburger" disease.

Varki, UC San Diego School of Medicine distinguished professor of medicine and cellular and molecular medicine, and co-director of the UCSD Glycobiology Research and Training Center, previously discovered that humans don't produce Neu5Gc because they lack the gene responsible for its production. Therefore, it was thought that humans should be resistant to the toxin.

"Ironically, humans may set themselves up for an increased risk of illness from this kind of E. coli bacteria present in contaminated red meat or dairy, because these very same products have high-levels of Neu5Gc," Varki explained. "The Neu5Gc molecule is absorbed into the body, making it a target for the toxin produced by E. coli."

In the Nature study, the researchers discovered that sites where the Neu5Gc has been incorporated into the human body coincide with toxin binding. "When the toxin binds to the non-human Neu5Gc receptors, it can result in serious food-poisoning and other symptoms in humans," said Varki. The research emphasizes the need for people to eat only well-cook meat or pasteurized dairy products, processes that destroy contaminating bacteria.

Five years ago, Varki and his colleagues at the UC San Diego School of Medicine published a paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences describing how Neu5Gc is absorbed into human tissues – including the surface of cells lining the intestines and blood vessels – as a result of eating red meat and milk products. At the time, the researchers also showed that this foreign molecule generates an immune response that could potentially lead to inflammation in human tissues. The UC San Diego study was the first to investigate human dietary absorption of the Neu5Gc glycans which, while not produced in humans, does occur naturally in red meats. Levels are very low or undetectable in fruits, vegetables, eggs, poultry and fish. The researchers proved that people who ingest Neu5Gc incorporate some of it into their tissues, and demonstrated that many generated an immune response against the molecule, conjecturing that a lifetime of gradual incorporation of this glycan "invader" could result in disease.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...81029141035.htm

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/2003/09_29_Varki.html

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sat, Nov-22-08 at 22:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-08, 23:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Someone posted this a week or two ago. It's possibly the only potentially credible thing I've read about red meat so far.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 07:21

Plan: lc
Stats: 93/75/74 Male 181
BF:
Progress: 95%

i forget, what was the first reason again?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 09:12

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

I have actually had less overall colds and flus since starting LC -- none, to be exact. Also I cook my meat. I'm not worried about cytotoxins.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbowers
i forget, what was the first reason again?

A non-human, cellular molecule absorbed into human tissues as a result of eating red meat and milk products could promote tumor growth.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/gre...ancer_Risk.html
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

It is of course important to properly cook meat and it's certainly sensible to buy steaks in preference to beefburgers as they are less likely to be contaminated, but it's also very important to understand how your immune system works and what it requires to function properly.

What do people here think it the most important vitamin that helps their bodies fight ecoli? and what vitamin do most UK adults have less than a third the optimum amount of at this moment in time.

Instead of avoiding meat products and remaining vulnerable to infection from other sources isn't it more sense to take an EFFECTIVE amount of D3.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
A non-human, cellular molecule absorbed into human tissues as a result of eating red meat and milk products could promote tumor growth.
Now does anyone know why it is that some people are better at fighting cancer than others?

It also fell when people were stressed, and at certain times of the year. “Nobody seems to have any cancer-killing ability during the winter months from November to April,” says Cui,

Now that is very tricky isn't it?

What possible vitamin is associated with lowest cancer incidence when status is kept above 60ng? and what vitamin is at it's lowest between November to April.

I know BoBoGuy likes these scary things but I wonder if anyone can guess why I just laugh at these scare stories? Perhaps there's a clue in my signature?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 16:23

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Maybe he figures if we stop eating red meat, there will be more left for him!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 18:18
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Zilla, you mean like the way I keep hoping people will get scared over mad cow disease so that the price will come down and I can buy more?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinson
I know BoBoGuy likes these scary things...

I’m not interested because it’s a scary subject.

I’m simply fascinated by the newly discovered differences in ourselves and our mammalian cousins. We’ve based our dietary preferences on our perceived similarities and now we find that perhaps we are not that similar after all.

We now know that a single chemical, which may have protected our ancestors prior to a genetic mutation three million years ago, may be linked to many of today’s most debilitating illnesses in humans. It all relates to the animal version of this chemical being absorbed by humans as a result of eating red meat and milk products.

Now that I think about it, it is a scary subject!

Bo
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 19:44

Plan: tasty animals with butter
Stats: 170/115/110 Female 60"
BF:maintaining
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBoGuy
We now know that a single chemical, which may have protected our ancestors prior to a genetic mutation three million years ago, may be linked to many of today’s most debilitating illnesses in humans. It all relates to the animal version of this chemical being absorbed by humans as a result of eating red meat and milk products.

Now that I think about it, it is a scary subject!

Bo

Any sort of genetic mutation must have been caused in the last 30 to 50 years, NOT three million years ago (when humans did not exist). We have only been eating CAFO meat for a few decades, and the strain of E. coli that is pathogenic to humans (H:0157) has only been around since well after the advent of the CAFO.

If you want something scary,
Quote:
The molecule –N-glycolylneuraminic acid (Neu5Gc) – is a type of glycan, or sugar molecule, that humans don't naturally produce.

Oh, what was that? A sugar molecule? Almost the entire article was diarrhea-of-the-mouth speculation.

Quote:
The research emphasizes the need for people to eat only well-cook meat or pasteurized dairy products, processes that destroy contaminating bacteria.

People keep ignoring the fact that pasteurization destroys good bacteria and enzymes as well.
Antibacterial cleaners were all the rage back in the 90's. Remember? Everyone was practically bleaching their entire house to kill 99.9% of germs.* The TV lady swabbed countertops everywhere. "Look at all this bacteria! This could be making you sick!"
So all these products come out to sanitize your life, and suddenly you are left with no bad bacteria, no good bacteria, only resistant superbugs. Aren't we modern and hip!
This kind of idiocy is still going on. I saw a recent "news" magazine show where the lady swabbed the bottoms of all the women's purses/handbags. What a shocker that bacteria showed up. Staph, Strep, etc. Of course, there was absolutely no mention of any good bacteria.

So anyway, sorry for the rant! It's some kind of weird sugar molecule that humans don't produce. Hummm.
Interesting.

*Edit. My sister in law bleached her house so bad that her counters fell apart. And now her kids are allergic to everything and always sick.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenJ
Any sort of genetic mutation must have been caused in the last 30 to 50 years, NOT three million years ago (when humans did not exist).

ANCIENT FOSSILS HELP UCSD RESEARCHERS DETERMINE DATE THAT HUMANS GENETICALLY DIVERGED FROM APES.

An international team of medical researchers and world-renowned anthropologists has determined that a gene mutation found only in humans and not in our evolutionary cousins, the apes, occurred more than 2 million years ago, just prior to human brain expansion but after our ancestors stood upright.

http://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/newsrel/he...ki%208%2022.htm

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Sun, Nov-23-08 at 22:31.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 22:32

Another question, does the gene mutation and molecule Neu5Gc imply that modern humans are now biologically vegan?

Bo

Last edited by BoBoGuy : Mon, Nov-24-08 at 00:11.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 22:36

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

We don't produce vitamin C either, does that mean we shouldn't eat fruit? And, as I recall, neither do apes. And they will eat other smaller apes and monkeys.

Quote:
HUMANS GENETICALLY DIVERGED FROM APES.
So, did donkeys diverge from horses? I don't believe apes would still be here if we are a product of evolution. And where did the Neanderthals go? (Yeah, I know that's what is taught, it just doesn't make sense to me.)
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-23-08, 22:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bthinner!
We don't produce vitamin C either, does that mean we shouldn't eat fruit?

The human inability to produce vitamin C has an evolutionary explanation: an "inborn metabolic error" associated with an unfortunate mutation in past times.

Sound familiar?

Enjoy your fruit.

Bo