Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 12:38
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelLee
WooHoo...!! I lost 14lbs. already...!!!

Good for you. Was it the Metformin? Or were you lowcarbing and changing your eating habits?

I'm not saying that it doesn't level the playing field. It does. If you are IR or have PCOS...it helps. But it is not the sole cause of weight loss FOR ME. I have low carbed without it and lost weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttermeup
Wow, i have just read the entire thread and I am amazed how stupid all of you are. Do you not read the drug information??

You posted waaaaay too much stuff but I found that to be funny actually but I don't think they are stupid.

I do think people are hopeful. We want help.

I am taking meds myself right now so who am I to talk?

I take metformin. But not for weight loss. I take 2000mg a day so that's why I find it odd that these people think 250mg or 500mg or going to help them lose weight. I'm sure it will if they ALSO change their eating habits like the lady who started the thread back in 2003.

I believe in Meds. The are useful tools. But you have to use the right tools to get the job done.

Last edited by MsTwacky : Thu, Jun-04-09 at 12:51.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-09, 08:21

Plan: at-kin's
Stats: 185/185/160 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi weight watchers!!
I came to know about metformin a few days back....did some research & found it can be of help in cases where nothing has been yielding results...
Dying to see my endocrinologist to seek his advice!!
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-09, 19:32

Plan: adkins
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin

All of us are concerned with our health and well being, and I too, began to research Metformin online and found this blog. Thanks so much, all the notes have been helpful.

Sometimes you feel alone in the battle of weight loss and sudden weight gain. I am in menapause, and being 50, I am learning so much about the weight gain, mood swings, and flashes (power surges) the past few years. These are some of the things our mothers never told us, including being unable to sleep.

I was on Adkins and did lose weight, but over the past few years, my weight has ballooned and I look as if I am about to pop. My face is also puffy.

Seriously eliminating calories and being very strict with my exercise and diet helped me lose 15 lbs, but that has been it. I also have arthritus in my knee, so I can not exercise as long or as hard as I use to.

So I thought it may be wise to see an endrocronologist and have my thyroid levels tested.

Due to low TSH levels I was prescribed Synthroid 6 weeks ago. Today during my follow up visit, I was prescribed Metformin 500 to take with breakfast and dinner. It's my understanding that this medicine should be taken with food as to avoid an upset stomach and feelings of nausea.

My Dr. is concerned with my weight and said I am on the verge of diabetes, so we are trying to avoid this. I am optimistic that with the combo of thyroid medication and Medformin, my meetings with a nutritionist, and my dedication to healthy eating and fitness, I should be well on my way to better health.

I will continue to update you on my progress, and look forward to hearing about yours as well.
  #79   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-09, 21:17

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 184/147/120 Female 5'2"
BF:33.7%/26.9%/20%
Progress: 58%
Talking

Hey Guys...! Well, I did it...!! I'm down to 147lbs...Still have quite a ways to go but I lost 40lbs already..

It was a combination of the Met and increased exercise...I am so proud of myself...but here's a tip...If I could do it YOU GUYS can do it...!! Don't give up...
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-09, 10:37

Plan: na
Stats: 257/257/180 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin & weight loss

I was just diagnosed with PCOS on July 13, 2009 and was prescribed Metformin. This drug is typically for diabetes but known to help PCOS and promote weight loss. I am just curious if anyone else on this site has PCOS and if so were they prescribed Metformin? did they lose weight? and did they begin to have normal menstrual cycles again? I have been taking this since Friday 500mg twice a day. Until today I felt fine. Today I have been a little nauseas........ still seem to have the same appetite. I am very frustrated as I am 5'11 and weigh 257 lbs. I coach softball and attend a gym and am not lazy by any means......but have consistently put on about 20 to 25 lbs for the past three years........ It is depressing. Can anyone offer any thoughts........especially if you have the same problem and are on the same medication. I need some hope..........thanks
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-09, 07:40

Plan: adkins
Stats: 198/194/140 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Smile Metaformin for weight loss

Hi April,

I am following a low carb diet and taking 1000 mg of Metaformin a day. I have lost a few lbs and have had no side effects. I exercise as well.

I take my medicine with food, which is key. I have lost inches and no longer have a bloated look. I am also sleeping well, which may be a result of the Metaformin or the thyroid medicine I am on.

Good Luck!
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 08:46

Plan: IF/caveman
Stats: 265/230/170 Female 70 in
BF:
Progress: 37%

when i started taking the metformin back in may, i was sicker than a dog! but i stuck with it and eventually the side effects went away. i had been stuck between 200 and 195 for a few months at that time. once i started the met, i dropped to 185 in about a week!. of course recently i got attacked by a bag of mini snickers and saw about a 4lb gain, so im not letting myself be so liberal at this time. i like the met and wat it does for me, i definitly think it helps!
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-09, 16:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/180/160 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm getting ready to start on it, myself, purely for weight loss. I am an active VLCer, fewer than 20 grams of carb a day, and STILL have signs of insulin resistance. We shall see...
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-09, 08:52

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I took Met (1500mg extended release) for years, and didn't see any weight loss other than the five pounds caused by dehydration at the beginning. When I took Met and ate carbs together, I would have the worst gastro issues! Over months it became obvious to me, every time I ate carbs, I was sick for the next 24 hours. The doctors didn't believe me, but I stopped taking it for that very reason.

Met also didn't keep me from gaining weight, didn't help reduce the amount of body hair, and didn't regulate my periods. I also had just as many migraines as before taking it. The main reason I stopped was the gastro issue.

It didn't make sense to pay for a medication that didn't do a darn thing for me, and in fact, made me more uncomfortable than going without.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Aug-25-09, 08:26

Plan: na
Stats: 257/257/180 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default 12 days in using Metformin

UPDATE......I was diagnosed with PCOS on August 13th. I began Metformin on the 14th. I have had no real problems with this medicine at all. Can tell a difference in stools. But no sickness. I actually feel like I sleep better. I don't feel as bloated as I used too everydday. BUT I have not lost any weight......however I do feel like my appetite is changing, like I don't crave food like I did before (could be from medicine). Not discouraged yet as I do feel like I have more energy.......we'll see how the next couple weeks go. I will keep posting
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Aug-28-09, 14:13

BF:

I would love to know how you do on met.
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Sep-05-09, 19:06

Stats: 125/115/100 Female 4 ft 10 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default OMG ... too excited to read all pages ...

History:
I first started low carbing in college. Worked fantastic, then I would start binging on sweets.

For years I've felt like I was insulin resistant. For the past 15 years it didn't seem like low-carbing worked anymore.

I started Metformin 2 days ago and have been trying to find others like me. Doctor prescribed for weight loss due to weight gain from another prescription. The interesting thing is that my father is type 2 and it definitely runs in our family. I have also had uterine cysts (not sure if it's related to PCOS).

The depressing thing is that I think I am more hungry and it has not cut my cravings for sugar.

Anyway, I was so excited to find this board and this thread! I'll go back and read the other pages ...
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Sep-06-09, 07:25

BF:

I'm on Met for weight loss. My low-carb diet, which I've been on for a year, quit working when I was prescribed estrogen cream after a total hysterectomy. I'm on 250 mg a Met to start. This is only day 2. No side effects yet, and I notice that it keeps my blood sugar around 83 - 84. I was a type 2 diabetic years ago, but the low-carb lifestyle keeps it at bay. I still test my blood sugar every day just to be sure. I hope that the Met helps with whatever the stupid estrogen is doing to me. On 1500 calories a day, and fewer than 20 grams of carb a day, I gained 10 pounds. Grrrr!
  #89   ^
Old Mon, Sep-07-09, 05:57

BF:

Day 3 - No bad side effects yet, except that I'm tired. I've actually gained a pound. ?
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 14:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 420/335/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default How can i get my Dr to prescribe metformin?

How can i get my Dr to prescribe metformin? I have asked already for it and his reply was that i do not have diabetes and he wont give it to me..

What can i do? Any suggestions?