Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 12:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/195/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%
Question Lyrica anyone?

I just restarted the Atkins diet 3 days ago after much success with it 5 years ago. My concern is that I am now on Lyrica which has caused over 40lbs of weight gain since I started it 2 years ago Has anyone had success losing weight while taking this medication? I haven't lost a single pound since starting induction which would normally not worry me but the last time I did this diet I lost over 7 lbs in the first week. Thank you for any input!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-17, 19:27
Registered Member

Stats: 305/211/160 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm guessing lyrica causes weight gain in the classic one of 2 ways either the more typical way of increasing appetite which atkins can fix or the worse yet still fixable from atkins way of changing the way your body processes carbohydrates. I'm guessing lyrica just increases appetite. So either way given all the drugs I'm on that cause way worse weight gain than lyrica that the odds are almost guaranteed for you to lose weight if you stick to 20ish carbs or less.

Also it is very common when starting induction again the 2nd time to not get the same response you got the first time. It happened to me. I was discouraged but I kept going and eventually the weight just had no where to go but down. So it will go down you just have to trust the process and realize no diet can give you 7 pounds a week every week. I'd suggest sticking with induction for at least a month and then judge your progress. One week isn't enough.

Also on a side note I personally am committed to keto for life. It doesn't mean I won't cheat some times like once or twice a year on christmas but since i'm fat adapted the cheat day once or twice a year doesnt effect me. I'm not saying this is what you need to do but its something we all should consider if we find we are just too carbohydrate sensitive.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 15:10

Stats: 201/195/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thank you for your input! Yes Lyrica did increase my appetite some but not enough to justify the 40+ weight gain, but who knows-maybe I'm just in denial about that I am hoping it was just that, would make weight loss a bit easier. I'm down about 2.5 lbs so will take it, better then going up!