Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: LC/HF
Stats: 216.2/210.4/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I am not a wackjob, I don't eat store meat. My husband is a hunter and I eat deer, elk, wild turkey, fish we catch etc. I also have three boys (teenagers) that hunt and we keep our freezers full all year round. The fact that you feel upset that I have an opinion about fast food meat is sad. I think that eating that kind of meat is horrible for you body. I used to eat it and was ill from it for a long time, so I changed my diet just like I'm changing my health. I choose not to eat that, and if everyone knew the facts about fast food meat, store meat and the like, they wouldn't want to put it in their mouth. This opinion does not make me a psycho. Not that it matters, but I am an educated person in the field of mental health. Having an opinion is my god given right and expressing it on message boards like these should not deem an attack. Because we have a difference in opinion about the quality of meat from McDonalds is OKAY.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 15:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherG73
I am not a wackjob, I don't eat store meat. My husband is a hunter and I eat deer, elk, wild turkey, fish we catch etc. I also have three boys (teenagers) that hunt and we keep our freezers full all year round. The fact that you feel upset that I have an opinion about fast food meat is sad. I think that eating that kind of meat is horrible for you body. I used to eat it and was ill from it for a long time, so I changed my diet just like I'm changing my health. I choose not to eat that, and if everyone knew the facts about fast food meat, store meat and the like, they wouldn't want to put it in their mouth. This opinion does not make me a psycho. Not that it matters, but I am an educated person in the field of mental health. Having an opinion is my god given right and expressing it on message boards like these should not deem an attack. Because we have a difference in opinion about the quality of meat from McDonalds is OKAY.

Let's see, so far you have recommended that piece of vegan propaganda SuperSize Me! and have attacked McDonalds' food based on evidence gathered from some unattributed and mostly histrionic website.

You've used the term frankin food whatever the heck that is. I think you mean Franken Food referring to Frankenstein which I guess in your eyes makes me and the other people who eat there monsters.

I am also disgusting and ill informed to you since I don't believe or act the same as you do it seems. Very nice. But you want apparently to be able to share your uncensored opinions of me and what I eat without having to listen to what I think of them and you.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 15:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

hey everybody,

This debate has completely hijacked the original discussion, so it's been split off to its own thread and moved here to the War Zone. Members are reminded that while a more heated debating style is permitted in this section, it's still a violation of the forum rules to engage in insults and personal attacks.
Quote:
If you object to a post, and consider it a flame or insult, please use the "Report bad post" link instead of insulting the poster back. If you flame others through personal attacks, even in response to a perceived personal attack, you will lose your posting privileges.

Thanks for your co-operation in this matter.

Doreen
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:04

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

The taste, or more exactly, lack thereof, is more than enough to keep me from eating at McDonald's.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 08:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/159.2/150 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I suspect no one minds you having an opinion on the quality of meat at McDs - it's more likely the intensity and attack on others personal judgement that is offputting/confusing
Isn't it OK for other people to do/eat what they like - it's not as if it's affecting you or your health if I eat store bought meat or McDoubles?
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 08:18
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
I am not a wackjob, I don't eat store meat. My husband is a hunter and I eat deer, elk, wild turkey, fish we catch etc. I also have three boys (teenagers) that hunt and we keep our freezers full all year round.
no hon, you're not a whackjob, but i will say this, i am COMPLETELY envious of your ability to have good meats at your disposal.
i have to pay an enormous amount of money, in the finer restaurants that serve meat, you have in your freezer.
for instance, a small piece of venison runs $26-30 at local restaurants.
i've never seen elk or wild turkey on the menu.
and because i'm inland, a good piece of fish (not salmon) runs $30.
I paid $30 for a piece of cobia, the last time i ate out at a restaurant.
I have my eyes set on a piece of venison tomorrow night, when i go out to eat... and i know i will pay $26-30 for that small piece of venison...

so yes, you are a very lucky gal to be able to have that meat at your fingertips!
what is McDonalds? i don't remember what that is...
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 14:03

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
The fact that you feel upset that I have an opinion about fast food meat is sad.

I think the problem is not that you have an opinion about fast food meat, but that you have Morgan Spurlock's opinion about fast food meat.

I saw Supersize Me. I found it ridiculous. The man forced himself to eat so much at meals that he actually threw up. How does that relate to a normal person eating a normal meal there? It doesn't. And Tom Naughton's critique in Fat Head was excellent. One example: if fast food is so addictive, why was Spurlock anxious to stop eating it at the end of his experiment? If it really was addictive he would have wanted to continue and found himself unable to stop without a 12 Step program!

I don't think you're a whackjob at all. I just think that dropping a link to a video and following up with words like "disgusting" triggers anger and defensiveness in people.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 14:15

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

First of all, why would I eat MickeyD's? Their food tastes like crap, most of it is carb-heavy, and it's filled with high fructose corn syrup and trans-fats. And the options that aren't are boring...there are much better places to get a salad!

However, Supersize-Me is propoganda.
They did a good job of hiding their agenda, but some of Morgan Spurlock's extra footage makes it clear.
In one of his online videos he put a McDonald's hamburger in a class jar, left it at room tempearture for a month, and then filmed it talking about how gross it looked and 'that it's what's happening your stomach.'
1. No it's not. Your stomach isn't a glass jar where food is left to rot for a month. It's totally digested and excreted in a day or so.
2. Leave anything to rot in a sealed jar for a month and it'll be gross. Anaerobic decomp is not pretty!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-13, 16:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Slightly beside the point I guess, but Morgan Spurlock's ex-wife (the girlfriend who rescued him at the end with a vegan diet) has given up veganism:

http://alexandrajamieson.com/im-not-vegan-anymore/

I don't eat fast food (McD or anyone else) because it's not healthy. What I don't like about Spurlock's programme is that he's pushing a vegetarian agenda and he was not honest in the programme.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 10:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/165 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

McDonalds is all about the chicken nuggets, who cares about the digusting burgers. not me
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 10:52

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just because people choose to eat at Mc Donalds or any other fast food place, don't mean they have to eat unhealthy. its convienant and when I'm in a hurry, the drive through is right there.

Heathi-e-r options, anything without a bun, no breading, no fries, no desserts, no sugard pops or tea. What does that leave us? Cheese burgers without bun, grilled chicken breast, salad with chicken, water (free!) mayo packets, oh, pickles!

Right here, I've got a meal. No, its not what in my freezer, we have wild game and our own farm raised beef and pork and rabbit in the freezer. But if choses wisely, a good option is there for us. Most people choose to not get the better option. Thats what it is right there, their choice. True, how many kids are going to pick a good option. Where are there parents? They should be telling them that they don't need to get a super size of anything. No soda, water! A Big Mack? Who needs it!

There are better options and its up to the consumer to make them.

I ate 2 grilled chicken breasts, with 2 packets of mayo the other day. Yesterday, I went to a Caseys and they had a sub shop type thing. THe lady made me a salad with grilled chicken breast. bacon bits, ranch dressing and some cuccumbers. That was my choice, I made the propper choice.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 11:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/154/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

Pink slime did me in. I now buy inexpensive beef roasts and grind my own hamburger. Even grocery stores' hamburger had pink slime as an additive.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-13, 11:45

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly428
McDonalds is all about the chicken nuggets, who cares about the digusting burgers. not me

From http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/full_menu_explorer.html
Quote:
Chicken McNuggets (4 piece)
Ingredients
White boneless chicken, water, food starch-modified, salt, seasoning [autolyzed yeast extract, salt, wheat starch, natural flavoring (botanical source), safflower oil, dextrose, citric acid], sodium phosphates, natural flavor (botanical source). Battered and breaded with: water, enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), yellow corn flour, bleached wheat flour, food starch-modified, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate, calcium lactate), spices, wheat starch, dextrose, corn starch.

Prepared in vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, soybean oil, hydrogenated soybean oil with TBHQ and citric acid added to preserve freshness). Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

I'd go for the grilled onion cheddar burger, hold the bun and the onions myself!!
Quote:
Ingredients
100% Beef Patty

100% Pure USDA Inspected Beef; No Fillers, No Extenders.
Prepared with Grill Seasoning (Salt, Black Pepper).

PASTEURIZED PROCESS WHITE CHEDDAR CHEESE
Milk, Water, Cheese Culture, Cream, Sodium Citrate, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Citric Acid, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), May Contain One or More of: Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Pyrophosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Enzymes, Acetic Acid, Soy Lecithin (Added for Slice Separation).

And maybe ask them to substitute the cheddar with Swiss cheese if they have it
Quote:
Natural Swiss Cheese
Swiss cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes), powdered cellulose and potato starch (prevent caking), natamycin (natural mold inhibitor).