Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 09:07

Plan: non specific
Stats: 122/122/112 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default What can I freeze?

I've frozen some chocolate pancakes for breakfasts but what other baked goods can I freeze?
I'm thinking oopsie bread, muffins etc.
Thanks in advance. X
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 09:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Pretty much everything baked usually freezes all right.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-15, 13:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

are you looking for recipes for foods that freeze well, so you can make them up and have reserves?

soups do very well
quiches are another good back up

i also keep a lot of food on hand in freezer like bags of frozen shrimp, chicken breasts, fish fillets-- that way there is always something on hand to prepare with whatever veg happens to be in fridge.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-15, 10:58

BF:
Progress:

Brill, thanks 😁
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 01:03

BF:
Progress:

More a case of breakfast foods. I don't have time to cook in the morning and I'm a bit stuck for breakfast ideas.
Personally I can't eat savoury food for bf, I'd rather not eat it at all but as I'm at work till 12.30 I need to force something down.
I've made some breakfast bars, I'm going to try one of those this morning, I also have muffins on standby.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 11:01

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

oh, gotcha!

freezer:
sausage patties- can add sf maple syrup to keep this a sweet breakfast

creamcheese muffins!
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...ad.php?t=399261

pantry/fridge:
i like to use ground flaxmeal to make a hot "cereal":- all you have to do is microwave it with water or cream, a touch of salt, sweetener and whatever add ins- cinnamon, vanilla extract, berries, nuts, etc.....

the infamous muffin a minute recipe- again takes like 60 seconds to microwave it. peruse forums for all the variations from flaxmeal vs coconut flour to add ins like pumpkin with pie spice, to breaking a square of very dark chocolate into chips.....

a girlfriend swears by toasting all kinds of nuts and seeds and coconut with cinnamon and splenda- that way she always has "granola" on hand- she eats it straight from a baggy at the office, or on top of greek yogurt at home- or sometimes in bowl with almond milk.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 11:19

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I make a chocolate pudding that I like for breakfast. I haven't tried to freeze it but maybe you could. It keeps in the fridge quite a few days. Recipe if you're interested.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-15, 21:29

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Thanks, Robin, for the cream cheese muffin link - they sound delicious!

JL - I'd appreciate the recipe for the chocolate pudding. Thanks in advance!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 08:14

Choc Pudding

3 jumbo eggs, 1 egg yolk, or some variation of smaller eggs.

Sweetener to taste (I use 1/8 C powdered Swerve, 10 drops lo han, 6 drops vanilla stevia, so approx 3 TB sugar equivalent)

Pinch of salt or about 1/8 tsp, or to taste

4 oz hwc, 4 oz water or any combo of almond milk, cream, coconut milk, cashew milk, etc. to equal 8 oz. I usually use 6 oz coconut milk from a refridgerated carton and 2 oz cream.

3 TB melted coconut oil, refined for less coconut taste is my preference, or butter

1/2 tsp vanilla, or more to taste

3 slightly heaping TB cocoa (I really like Droste brand in this recipe as it's not bitter) or less to taste

You can either bake in the oven in a water bath or in intervals in the micro.I always do it in the microwave now as I was always overbaking which ruins the texture.

Mix in blender, then into a bowl. Start with 1 min intervals on high in the microwave, stirring in between, until it starts to thicken, then at smaller intervals until it's thicker but not too thick. (Just right constistency is about like yogurt.)

Then I dump it back in the blender and whir it up good. If I've cooked it too thick, I add a tablespoon or so of extra cream to thin it out.

Makes 3 servings, about a cup each. Approx 350 cals, 5 grams carbs depending on variations. Chia seeds are good added just before eating.

When I was first playing around with this recipe I only had a toaster oven to bake with or I might have had better luck baking it as a conventional custard. Now I'm used to the microwave version. Putting it back into the blender is crucial to the texture and adding a little cream if it's too thick gives me a success every time.

I've also made it without the cocoa, with a little additional vanilla. I'd love to make a butterscotch one but so far haven't liked the flavorings I've tried.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 10:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Thank you! I'm going to try it this weekend.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-15, 11:17

My mother says, "Pudding for breakfast?!" but I point out I've just had a big egg, a tablespoon of healthy coconut oil, a little caffeine, some flavanols and other nutrition. What's not to like? Better than toast!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-15, 01:36

BF:
Progress:

Well my son is barred from the Xbox today. He's helping me cook to freeze. As he will be eating most of the ham n cheese, sausage n bacon etc muffins I think he can make them. He doesn't know yet tho! 😊
I pinned lots of recipes last night 😁