Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 10:52

Plan: May 03 CAD
Stats: 233/231/150
BF:
Progress: 2%
Smile Just Wanted to say Hello

Hi - my names Julie and I come from England.

I suppose I've been a yo-yo dieter all my life, even though at one point not so long ago I managed to lose nearly 6 stone. Unfortunately a new fiance and loss of self control has made me put it back on and a little bit more.

I came across the Atkins diet accidentally, when some of my colleagues were discussing it at work. I could'nt believe what they were saying - how could you have cream and butter and manage to lose weight !!!

Well I finally took the plunge after buying the book on the 29/5/02 and cant believe that in 5 days I've lost 8lb. I am absolutely over the moon - although I have to say today was the first time I went into a supermarket and it was very hard. But I did it and did not come out with anything laden with carbohydrates. I just have to find more ways to make what I can have more exciting.

Thankyou for the support forum - I know it will be of great help to me.

Julie xxxx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (22.0 KB, 148 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Welcome Julie, it sounds as if you are off to a great start!

#3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 11:29

BF:
Default Thank you !!!!

Thank you for saying Hi - it makes a difference to know there are others out there for support. I have found dieting really hard for as long as I can remember. So to find out that all the low fat foods I'd been eating for years, was actually helping to put weight on me ( and other reasons too ) was a revelation to me.

My only problem is what to eat to make it more exciting - I've got the Atkins easy diet cookbook - but I'm not into fancy food really. But hey I'll get there in the end. So if anyone has some basic recipes I'd really appreciate them.

Thank you again
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 13:45
Registered Member

Plan: dr.atkins
Stats: 165/144.3/121 Female 1.54m
BF:
Progress: 47%
Smile Hello Julie

My name is Fatima,i just want to say that i still eat what i use to eat before the diet,the only thing is no potatoes,rice,pasta,bread etc.But i still enjoy a good roast dinner just with veg.
Anyway welcome here.
I`m sure if you have some time to read what everyone here has to say you will learn a bit with each person.
I come here and i just read and read and try what everyone says,and i learn,i`m sure you will too.
Take care
Fatima
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-02, 15:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 263/238/154
BF:
Progress: 23%
Wink Hi Julie

I just wnted to say hi. I am also in the UK but right down south in sussex. I started 5 weeks ago & lost 7 lbs on induction & found it the easyest diet i have ever tried in fact itis becoming a way of life now. Keep up the good work I am sure you to will find it a great way of life

Ann
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-06-02, 15:02

BF:
Talking 10lb in first induction week - wow !!!!

well I finally got weighed and was shocked - 10lb in the first week and I am over the moon with that.

I still find it hard though to vary my foods - eggs, cooked meats, cheese, and tuna seem to be it for me - I know I need to vary it more to keep interested.

thanks for the encouragement - it really does help. I come on here every night now and read lots and lots.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 13:35

Stats: 263/238/154
BF:
Progress: 23%
Thumbs up start a journal

Hi Julie

Well done on your 10lbs loss If you want some idears on different foods look at peoples journals & start one of your own . I have found it a big help. If you read what other people have eaten you suddenly realise there are other choices & it wont be so limiting. One thing I have found is sainsburys FRESH pasta sauces A couple of spoons over chicken makes a vert tasty treat with very low carbs in them.

Keep up the good work there is no going back now

Annabelle
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 14:38

BF:
Smile thanks Annabelle

Thanks for the advice Annabelle - to be honest I started a journal a couple of days ago and keep reading other peoples too. I've found this forum a real help - especially for recipes.

I've just found one for a shape up shake and am definately gonna try that one - it sounds great.

Can I ask anyone out there a question - I've had a brillant weight loss so far - 11lb in 9 days - how long can I remain on induction safely, because I have around 70lb in total to lose.

Also can anyone tell me which vitamins I should be taking? I take a multivitamin every day at the moment and 10mg of Amitriptyline ( which is a very mild antidepressant which was prescribed to help me sleep better ). I really want to do this WOE correctly so would appreciate the advice.

Thanks again for the support - this forum is great
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-02, 15:43
Contributing Member

Plan: lowcarb .
Stats: 160/141/127 Female 5'6"
BF:it"s for SALE!
Progress: 58%

I just popped in to give you a huge Welcome. Looks like you have things undercontrol.
Check out the great recipes...roam around..there is SOOOOO much to check out!!

Once again..welcome!
cin
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 06:58
Registered Member

Stats: 186/172/120
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi Julie,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! What a great start. You replied to my introduction, I finally got a chance to answer back this morning, so I left you a little message there. It's pretty neat finding someone who started at practically the same time as I did, we both have had the headaches, and we are eating almost the exact same things, I've only tried one recipe so far to jazz things up, it didn't turn out too well, or else it tasted the way it was supposed to and I didn't like it, I'm really not sure. I'll let you know if I come across any good recipes.

Once again, I 'm really happy for you, you're off to a fabulous start, keep up the good work.

Annette
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 07:08

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

welcome!!!As everyone has already said, lots of great info here. We have a thread going for those with a mini goal of 200 (actually it is for those of us who can't wait to see a 1 as the first number in our weight) the thread is titled '200 lbs anyone?" it would be a nice spot for you to visit just to chat
I know everyone says a multivitamin, and potassium for sure as supplements, and then there are assorted other odds and ends that everyone will share. Drinking buckets of water is also important, althought I cannot for the life of me seem to drink enough.
you are correct about trying to find variety, the recipe section has some good ideas, but just reading through other peoples post will give you a lot of great day to day, no fuss ideas.
Good luck low carbing
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 14:26

BF:
Smile Thanks Guys

Thanks to everyone out there - it really is nice to know I have friends with LCing.

I popped into our local book store today, to see if the carbo count food guide was in and ended up ordering it. While looking one lady said to me,

'dont do that diet - its rubbish - I lost loads she said - then put it all back on and I got really tired and had bad breath with it'.

Well I just stared at her - then informed her I'd already lost 12lb in 12 days and that I had no problems at all with this WOE. Her friend was with her and started to ask me questions about it. She was concerned that it was high calories etc....

You see here in England we are conditioned - low fat diet - low fat diet - its terrible. When I think that for 2 years I have been struggling on low fat foods - when all along those same foods have helped to keep me fat. Never again I can tell you.

I got weighed today and found out that for the first time I have not lost any weight. I'm not disappointed I have done well in 12 days and as long as I keep my carbs in check I know I will start to lose again - but theres no way I'm gonna undo the work I've done .

I'M AN LC LADY FOR LIFE NOW !!!!!!

Take care everyone and good LCing
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-02, 15:55

Stats: 230/198.6/170 Female 67inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think that with any 'diet' you tend to put the weight back on when you finish the 'diet' no matter which one you choose. I think that probably different weight loss programs work well for different people, I find this one the easiest to live with, short term, the true test will be maintaining.....as with any plan. Britain is not the only place where you are conditioned to think low fat. that is true in the states as well.....seriously tho, just why would anyone think that low fat ice cream or low fat cake could possibly be good or acceptable? does that even make sense? no
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 07:55

BF:
Smile hello everyone

am abit worried !!!

I've been following this WOE for 2 weeks now and have steadily been losing. In fact I'm pleased with that - but I went to the chemist to get weighed today and apparently I've put on a pound.

is it normal to have a gain for no apparent reason? I can honestly say I've done nothing different at all and am watching my carb intake at all times.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I will keep plodding on the same though
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-02, 08:27
Registered Member

Stats: 186/172/120
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hello Julie

The same thing has happened to me, 3 times over the last 2 weeks, so I have asked the same question. Everyone has replied basically the same, it is probably just water weight, and not to worry too much about it, just keep doing what your doing, and in a day or so it will probably drop again. Over the weekend my scale said I had gained a pound and a half, which I knew was impossible because I had not changed anything, by Monday I was down 1 pound and yesterday I dropped 2 more pounds. Try not to get too worried about it also, do you weigh yourself in the morning and wearing the same thing. I weigh myself everymorning right after I have showered, I know if I weigh later in the day then I will weigh more.

Chin up, put a smile on, you are doing really great!!!!!

Annette