Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 16:17

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%
Wink starting atkins

been on atkins to many timss, i usually just stay on induction and usually something interupts me alike a birthday party or last time Thanksgiving and i caved, so i started atkins again this past monday and i tthink i have already lost 5 lbs. i am going to try not to weigh myself this week until like wed or friday. i did have ab day party to go to yesterday(see my dilema) but i was a good girl i actually had eaten ~ about 11:00 and it was after 2:00 when i arived they had already cut the cake yeah i missed that part hahaha. anywho it was choclete so i wasnt to tempted they had pepperoni, and cheese tray and i snacked aon a few cucumbers and ranch i know its bad but i am kinda doing old school atkins like from 1972. a few less veggies. all i have been drinking all week is water and i am actually quite content with that.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 16:59

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

Welcome! I hope you are able to stay away from your triggers and succeed!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-27-06, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Exclamation

Personally, I prefer the 2002 version. Even Dr. Atkins learned a lot in the intervening 30 years. He had a reason to rewrite the book - new scientific knowledge.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 09:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

I agree with Newbirth that the 1992 or later editions offer more choices and much more information than the 1972. Do yourself a favor and buy the new book--lots of used copies are kicking around.

After a while, the low-carb lifestyle isn't about being "good" or "bad" anymore. It's about what you choose to eat, or not. Getting your head around LC as a way of life that you truly embrace, not a "diet" you're forced to follow, makes all the difference.

Best wishes.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 10:38
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Hi,
Welcome. I've been doing Atkins off & on for years and when I was on I mostly stayed on induction. This time around after induction I moved onto OWL and feel so much more confident. I don't think it's harmful to stay on induction but I am just doing so much better following the steps. I know that I can eat this way for the rest of my life. The first time around I lost alot of weight but then didn't know how to maintain, in theory I did, in reality I didn't. I'm doing OWL & plan to gradually go into maintenance. I didn't realize before how easy it is to progress without going off plan. Adding extra carbs was scary for me at first. Now that I'm off induction I am losing more slowly but I am still in control of my eating and have no cravings. It will also be nice to figure out how many carbs I can have & still lose or maintain.

I know everybody is different and has to find what works for them. Good luck, great place to come to for support.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-06, 19:57

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Hey, weezer. Your story sounds familiar. My downfall has always been Nov. 1 (both my boy's b-days) to Jan. 1. This year I am bound and determined to make this time period fit my woe, instead of conforming to the traditions. I'm worth it! And so are you. You have to figure out lc subs to take the place of the high carb fare. I have an lc b-day cake that I love and am trying out lc recipes to use for the holidays. You have to make this a way of living, rather than a diet. And when push comes to shove you have to use will-power. Glad you're back and hope you do very well this time around! freckles
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 05:33

BF:
Default thanks

thanks for all th replies yah eventually i will add more carbs right now i have like 100 lbs to lose so i will be on induction for awhile. and when i g/t close to my goal gradulaly add more carbs. so far i have lost 8 lbs since 8/25/06(last Monday) i feel realy god that 8 lbs in 9 days, i am gonna start having more slaads with dinner and lunch as long as it doesnt affect my progress.
also any advice on any vitamans i have a multivitamsn. is that all i need? do i have to have Atkins vitamns. i have quite a few vitamns. how many is too much. what does everybody recommend taking? i hear to many stories about people losing their hair because they didnt have enough nutrients for vitamans.
i have a multivitaman(Centrum performanace), D vitaman, B complex(GNC), Vitamns C 1000. Flax Oil ,Fish Oil, Biotin(for hair), and Green Tea. thats a lot huh? hahah. is it safe to take those? should i take my multi with green tea. and just like one other one every other day.????

Last edited by weezerchic : Tue, Aug-29-06 at 06:35.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 07:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/163/120 Female 63
BF:34%/29.4%/19%
Progress: 40%

Welcome and best of luck to you! =0)
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:

If you eat a lot of high-yield foods (raw spinach in salad, broccoli or whatever with dinner) you shouldn't have too much trouble meeting your nutrient requirements.

Hair loss can also just be caused by stress - diet can be one stressor, but some people lose hair when under stress. You should see my cat at the vet - high stress and she sheds everywhere. Well, radically altering your diet can do the same, and that's also true for low-fat diets. Eventually the body adjusts and the cycle of normal hair loss and replacement begins.

Be aware you won't lose a pound a day for long. That's just in the beginning and pretty soon it will slow down and get into a pace. You didn't gain a pound a day and you can't lose it all that way either. 2 pounds a week is the most for fat loss; anything more is water and/or muscle. So don't be in a hurry.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 17:44
Registered Member

BF:

My vitamins:

I take Kirkland's Multi-Vitamin Pack - 5 tablets with just about everything.
I also take a B-50 for energy.
I take L-Carnitine to help my body burn fat.
I take L-Glutamine to help build muscle.
I take Magnesium as it helps alliviate my frequent headaches.

On Induction you might consider potassium for a while. Losing a pound a day can temporarily deplete potassium levels.

Any good multi will do, preferrable one without iron.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-29-06, 20:06

Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%

welcome back and congrats on your loss!.....i take Centrum Low Carb Asisst multiviatamins.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 05:19

BF:

oh woh thanks for all your info. very helpful. i guess figured i was also losing weight rapidly at firts because when your really big you lose realy fast at first. last few times i started i would lose nothing and then one day i would just get on the scale and whoosh 5 lbs gone and this time i am seeing 1 lbs at a time.just got on scale another lbs lost. i am getting ready to start up at my gym. again. i have such a hectic schedule. it has been hard for me to get to the gym. i but i know. while i am losing i also want to gain muscle as well as lose fat. all i drink now is water. i about dies last night when my neighbor wantd me to make her some sweet tea. but i was a good girl. its the small things like that noone thinks about is a glass of sweetened tea seems so harmless.. but i know that could seriously mess me. up. i never use real sugar anymore. i didnt evn get my diet lemonade ~ Chicka fila when i was ~ the mall because i am not sure if thats ok. they supossedly use equal and real lemons. anywho. can i anyone explain though why i have to limit spenda or crsytal light even though its says 0 carbs 0 sugars.????? i never understood why i had to count that stuff but the actuall atkins website peeps tell me to count everyhting and i know the book tells you to count splenda packets. i mea when i do actually drink coffe(with heavy cream) and use sweeteners like spelnda i could probably use like 6-7 carbs of my daily carbs
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 08:10

Stats: 245/204/120 Female 5'2"
BF:too much
Progress: 33%

Welcome back! It's time to make it a way of life and not just a diet :-) Your body will thank you for it.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 17:38
Registered Member

BF:

In order to make Splenda into a powder they have to use maltodextrin so 1 packet does equal 1 carb. The liquid stuff is carb free (but not available in the U.S. except in prepackaged products like diet soda).

Do weight training at the gym. See my avatar photo? That's from weight training.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-30-06, 17:48
Butter is Better!

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 234/220.4/160 Female 5"8.5"
BF:its back again!
Progress: 18%

you can buy the liquid here twice a month http://www.sweetzfree.com/