Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-10, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstone

But today is a new day.

Yes....every day is...don't let it derail you...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-10, 17:31

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

My hobby is cooking.

I get pretty carried away sometimes, making stock, fermented vegetables, aging and curing stuff. I haven't tried smoking meat yet, but I'm thinking about it. You can put a lot of time and love into "slow food."
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-10, 18:09

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

Lots of great advise. Good thread...I bet it will help others at some point.

It seems, for a lot of us, the later at night it gets, the harder it is to fight those temptations. But not if you are sleeping! If you can do things to make yourself tired enough to go to sleep earlier, that might help. Get up earlier, and get some more exercise, some fresh air. Sometimes when I am fighting a craving for something late at night, I tell myself that if I really can't go to sleep, I can get up and indulge a little. I always go to sleep.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-10, 19:36

Plan: General LC
Stats: 232/157.4/145 Female 5'6.5
BF:...getting lower
Progress: 86%

Blackstone - I appreciate you bringing this up. I too have been struggling with this WOE / drinking. You can pop in my journal for a 'fuller' run down. I don't drink everyday, but come Friday, it's let-down time - sometimes I've limited it to Friday's - this past weekend was too much though.

For me, it is about familiarity - a pattern. Fridays = beer / getting silly / going out w/ friends or hubby (sometimes). I've got to find a way to break the pattern, the monotony I guess, and find something NEW to relieve the stress and fill the void. I am a very regimented person, but I know after a couple weeks, I can BREAK this self-destructive pattern.

I began wondering IF I had a problem (I might?), b/c I do use it to 'cope' to a certain extent (Oh, I'm getting a 6 pack b/c of stress at work...stress at home...etc...) - b/c I sure don't enjoy the fuzzy headed sh*t that accompanies a night of boozing! The more I think about it though, it really has just become a pattern - one I am determined to break. I don't NEED it everyday - and I know once I start, I'm drinking until I'm buzzed/drunk, so that is a huge incentive to not drink during the week when I have to get up at 5:45 in the morning M-F. I too have addictive tendencies - and both my parents were / are alcoholics.

BTW - somehow, w/ limited exception, I've been able to stay LC, even after 7/8/9 beers. I usually will eat something to settle my stomach (flax muffin, mock danish), but then am able to stay LC the next morning too.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 07:27

Plan: Mostly Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/130 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Dear Blackstone,
I don't have this particular problem so I'm sorry but I can't help. Just keep plugging along and slowly cut the amount down each time, if possible. Don't give up.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 13:18

Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%

This is a great discussion. Everyones in put and honesty if refreshing, to say the least. In SPITE of myself...I've dropped 2 pounds. Yes, I know its only been a few days but even with cheating this woe is so much better than the utter pigout fest I have been doing for the last 9 months seems to be paying off. No, I did not abstain last night. I had 3 shots. And I cheated again. But I am still going to look at this as progress. I was drinking a lot more than that on a daily basis and I know I can slowly transition into better habits. Love the cooking Idea!! And Excercise and going to sleep. What concepts! LOL! Thanks again folks. This really has been great!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 14:58

Plan: Low Carb High Nutrition
Stats: 160/148.8/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:33/29.4/25
Progress: 75%

I get a strong sense that you are closer to being who you want to be than you realize!!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-10, 15:00

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default alcohol and the LC WOL

Hi there Blackstone (and all the other people who have posted here with similar stories),

I can also really really relate to your story and your current problem. I won't go into all the gory details but, suffice to say, I am also one of those people who seem to have a problem with addiction (gave up smoking after 22 years of trying in Dec 2001 and haven't looked back for a minute). My particular poison has always been beer, which does NOT go well with the LC WOE at all, as I have found out again and again and again...

But, even though my current stats don't tell such a good story, I finally feel that I am beating the beer monster!!!

I am 46 and have been living in Germany for 22 years and they have VERY GOOD BEER in this country, which, worst luck, is also very cheap, too!!!

At any rate, my story is that I started with LCing three years ago and have constantly battled with beer which has sabotaged my weight-loss efforts again and again.

But, I feel that I have finally turned a corner. I am now not so much counting the days I stay off beer as such, because it then always seems like you're such a failure when you do have a drink, even if it has been the exception rather than the rule. What I am trying to do now is to stay away from the beer for weight-loss and general health purposes. And, so far this year, since Jan 12th 2010, I have been 80% beer-free!!!

I have drunk beer on occasions, but I keep a food and general diet diary (handwritten), and note in there what I have eaten and drunk - or not drunk - as the case may be. This has really helped me stay accountable to my plans because I can see in black and white how the scale numbers rocket upwards as soon as I have a few days in a row with beer on the menu.

I make note (OK, it's not maybe 100% accurate always, but it's good enough) of how many carbs I have had and then I can see what effect the carb numbers have on my weight.

Do you do anything like this???

I have also been working hard to identify the typical triggers - hard day, kids annoying me, DH annoying me, life annoying me, need a 'reward', you know the usual excuses - and then saying to myself in the evening: "Look, all you have to do is get through another hour: if you do this without alcohol, you will have a good night's sleep, you won't wake up at 4am and not be able to get back to sleep again, you won't be grumpy and irritable all day long and snap at the kids for no reason - you will feel rested and refreshed and you won't feel achey and tired."

These little discussions with myself - or actually - I do something a bit loony and try to address the "beer monster" as if it is something outside myself which wants to derail me and sabotage my efforts - do help me to shut up the beer monster and not succumb.

Now, I am at the stage where I am finally managing to get the weight off again (done this twice before on LC; I'll do it again!!!) and at the moment that by itself is a good enough reason not to drink.

The other thing I have experienced is that it is paramount to get started, to have an alcohol-free night and to really focus the next day on how much better you feel and really remember how good you felt the whole day long. Then use this memory to argue against the alcohol monster the next time it pops along.

I am finding the longer I stick at this no-beer thing, the easier it is getting. Beer is the only thing that I get hooked on: other drinks I can have small quantities of and then leave it, but, beer, it just hooks me and, most times, I end up drinking far more than I mean to.

I am working on other areas of my health - I have cut down my coffee intake by 66% (I drink a mix which is 33% caffeinated to 66% decaf at the moment) and this has also made great improvements in my ability to cope with stress. I now feel a lot calmer so that life doesn't freak me out so much as it used to. I have really learnt a lot from these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatig...howViewpoints=1

Simply working on stress reduction and basically rethinking how I deal with life has meant that I no longer feel that I need to have the beer to "cope" or "wind down" - because I no longer get so wound up in the first place!!!

This is my other favourite, which I read before I read the Dr Wilson book:

http://www.amazon.com/Schwarzbein-P...howViewpoints=1

I have posted the links to the review pages so you can get a picture of these books.

At any rate, if you are drinking because you are stressed, then looking at dealing with stress may help you to get on a route to recovery.

Using supplements which are known to help you with stress are also really helpful, with magnesium, a B-50 complex and, maybe a few ayurvedic things, too (I use ashwagandha and I swear it helps me sleep better), being top of the list. Vitamin D3 also helped me to feel more positive about life: it is a real mood booster (of course, the real sun is even better).

I have learnt so much via this forum over the last three years and really feel that I have made huge leaps forward in my general health and happiness, but it is always an ongoing learning process. I might not be lighter - on the scales - than I was when I started but I am so much more lighter in spirit!!!

I am convinced that I will never get into drinking the way I used to ever again.

If you want to read more about my particular journey with LCing and battling the beer monster, feel free to browse in my journal. It's all there!!!

At the moment I have been beer-free for the last 11 days (I think). The scale numbers are again heading downwards and I am hoping to keep it that way!!!

Finally, I sincerely hope that having started this thread will also mark the beginning of a new journey to a new healthier, less stressed you!!!

All the best,

a fellow sufferer, amanda
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Jun-05-10, 18:18

BF:

Dear FMN - Thank you! I hope you're right.

Dear Amanda - Thank you for your feedback and honesty. And congrats on your 11 days beer free!! That's pretty fantastic. I will stop by your journal for sure. You have some good insight and good ideas.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-07-10, 10:14

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Someone just bumped up a very old thread - I thought this was really great:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...93&page=1&pp=15
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-10, 23:13

BF:

Thanks Capmikee!
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:46

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Someone just bumped up a very old thread - I thought this was really great:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...93&page=1&pp=15

A great post. Its good to see the poster stuck around all this time too.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 09:04

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

Hi Blackstone
I so sympathise with your issue with Alcohol. Perhaps those suggesting AA should go to a Carbs anonymous meeting?! We all have cravings whether for Alcohol, bread, pizza, cheese etc. etc. It is your body saying... uhh, excuse me, where is that energy source that you were using yesterday? The body has ways of getting you to do what it wants - cravings are it. I have had a very similar problem, excusing every glass of wine I drank as 'oh, well it's only one, and it's a drink... not really carb' until I started logging everything I ate on Fitday, including alcohol. My husband and I realised that unless we wanted to go very hungry with our target calorie deficit the alcohol had to go. That doesn't mean that it was easy to stop! As soon as I cheat and have a glass I just want more... and more... and more! One thing I have found that helps, well seems to completely obliterate the cravings is Olive Leaf Extract. I tried to stop taking it yesterday and all of a sudden those cravings were back. I also suffer from systemic Candida so the cravings are probably particularly strong from that perspective. I use Comvita capsules 2x per day. Hope this helps a bit.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 09:39

BF:

CarolinePJ - Thank you so much for your feedback. I'm really glad to see that you found something that works for you. I will certainly look into getting these suppliments. It obviously can hurt anything. And your abosolutely right, while I'm not cheating I'm not dropping weight either. So the alcohol has to go. I've been waiting a bit because 1)Well you know the million and one reasons a person can come up with to "wait" 2)Wanted to get 2 weeks under my belt so I'm nice and used to the WOE and then attempt again to quit for a while. Thanks for taking the time!