Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-05, 09:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (mostly)
Stats: 128/123/114 Female 63.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Started Losing when put back on Necon Birth control pill

This last summer one of my parents Dr.s suspected cysts on my ovaries and wanted to perform and ultrasound, but because I don't have insurance as I'm a college student, so our healthcare center takes care of most things, I couldn't afford one, and this Dr. is not my primary care physician.

I take anywhere from 2-3 months to have a period, so my Dr. here at the healthcare center wanted to go the provera route. I'm extremely sensitive to progestin...makes me depressed and makes me gain, and retain a lot of water, so I didn't want that.

So she put me back on Necon .5/35, the only pill that doesn't seem to mess me up which is estrogen dominant.

I'd been stalled for months and now I'm losing again. Also I'm in very deep ketosis, something that only extreme measures like the fat fast would produce in the past.

Would you say this could possibly be PCOS-related?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-05, 23:50

Plan: Atkins/Coconut Diet
Stats: 180/000/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 450%

Hi riotkitty, what does PCOS mean?

I hear ya, I went through depression & weight gain myself on Ortho Triycyclene and the Yasmin (that was even worse ... it gave me palpitations).

Progesterone, from what I understand is the real culprit in menstrual/hormonal weight gain, not estrogen, according to my OB/GYN.

If you are pulling it off I would say stick with that pill.

I'm sorry to hear about the insurance ... if you do have a cyst now at college age you should really have it checked out to rule out anything that could damage your reproductive organs. Some colleges have low-cost insurance plans (mine did).

Good luck

Maria
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-05, 02:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (mostly)
Stats: 128/123/114 Female 63.75 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

PCOS-Polycystic Ovarian syndrome. My mom had it, though the Dr.s didn't know until she had her hysterectemy...something every woman in my on both sides of my family has had to have before age 40. I'm sure I will not be the exception, and I've come to terms with it.

I'm not really alarmed by it all, I'm almost 26, and having children has never appealed to me...I know I could change my mine, but I figure thats what adoption is for. Seriously with this bum reproductive system, its probably better that way.

I graduate in May, so getting an insurance plan now is senseless, but when I get a job and a plan, I'll have a doctor look more into this.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-05, 08:53

Plan: LF/LC
Stats: 254/191.5/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hmmm...the pill you are taking is mostly estrogen dominant and you are reacting fine to it?

I don't know if you have PCOS per se, but you may have some of the symptoms of the syndrome. From what I under stand, a majority of PCOSers are estrogen dominant. This is what causes an increase of testosterone which is often showed by excess facial/body hair or male patterened baldness. NOW keep in mind that not every woman with PCOS will have the same symptoms but I find it weird you would do so well on an estrogen dominant pill!

www.soulcysters.com is a great site about PCOS...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-16-05, 10:42

Plan: Atkins/Coconut Diet
Stats: 180/000/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 450%

Hi Riotkitty,

I'm sorry to hear about that ... you are very brave!

Maria