Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 04:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/214/168 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Decent LC food here at last!

At last dunnes and tesco have introduced the carb options range......delicious pasta, tika sauce......mushroom sauce.....soups to die for.

Go out, buy and enjoy! It makes life so much easier on LC.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-04-04, 07:08

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

The carb options range, especially the pasta, is far too high in carbs for me, I'm afraid. At 26 carbs, that's more than a full day's allowance for the pasta alone, never mind the sauce! Dreamfields has only 5 per serving.
The tomato soup was quite nice, but at almost 14 carbs it's still too high for regular consumption. It's better to make your own from a tin of tomatoes (about 4 carbs) - and home-made mushroom soup is MUCH lower than CO (about 3 carbs for a big bowl). The CO tomato sauce, however, IS good.
I think it's a pity that the manufacturers didn't put more effort into getting the carbs lower - wherever did they do their research? The worst of it is that retailers are going to think there's no LC demand when we don't buy the stuff and not that the products themselves are wrong.
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 12:00

Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%

ohh, that sounds cool!! I'll have a look tomorrow night, but if they are as high in carbs as Babs is saying, I dont think I'll get them. I prefer to cook stuff myself anyway, but on days where you just dont want to, they might be handy...

Gagalina
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 14:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 238/238/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Babs...
I've always loved meat with red sauce. I'm finding it very hard to get back on the low-carb way because of a serious carb addiction. I could never use the normal tomato sauce because it's way too high in carbs. If you could let me in on your tomato sauce recipie it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 09:14

Rob, it's tomato SOUP I make, which might be a bit weak for sauce, depending on what you want it for. If you still want the recipe (so simple it's hardly worth calling a recipe!), let me know and I'll drag it out and type it up.
Babs
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 16:12
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Babs,
Just wondering if you get the chance could you post the recipes for both the soups. They would be nice for a change.
I could have missed something but is CO Tomato Sauce tomato ketchup or is it for pasta. I didn't see ketchup in Tesco when I was there I be really interested in getting it as it is something I really miss.

Thanks
David
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-16-05, 06:25

Hi David/Rob,
My soups are a bit of the 'throw it all in and hope' variety, but I have tried to quantify them here. Adjust for yourself, where required.

Tomato Soup

Carbs = Approx 4 per serving, serves 4

400g tinned chopped tomatos (Heinz has 2.9 per 100g)
3 Tbsp of sun dried tomato puree
100ml Cream
100 mls water
4 crushed Splenda (or to taste)
1 teasp dried Basil
Black pepper/salt to taste

Mix all ingredients together except the cream and simmer for a couple of minutes. Mash or liquidise the result, add the cream and heat until required temperature.

Mushroom Soup
Depending on how hungry I am, I fry up some chopped mushrooms with some finely chopped onion. Then I add some chicken bouillon (liquid variety or home made, about 1 t). I then use about half cream, half water and some salt and pepper. Finally, liquidise the lot if you want it smooth, or just eat as is. This all seems vague, sorry, and the carb count varies (probably less than 3 per serving) with the amounts you use, but it's not very much and it tastes wonderful.
I make leek soup in a similar ad hoc fashion - it's delicious, too.
The CO ketchup is very nice - you can add a bit to your tomato soup at the end if you feel it's not tomatoey enough.
Babs
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-17-05, 16:06
Registered Member

Stats: 260/238/170 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 24%

Thanks Babs, will try that out