Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Ireland
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 08:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187/166/143 Female 173cm
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Cold/Flu Medicine

Hi guys,

just noted a scratchy feeling in my throat, which makes me think I might be coming down with the flu (as everybody else in the office).

So I might be needing some lozenges and cough sirup.

Anybody any experiences or suggestions for medicines??? I'm not really sure, but there should be sugar free ones right??

How high in carbs are those? What about using medicines for diabetics??? Would they be lower in carbs???

thanks,

Gagalina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 08:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

You can always ask the pharmacist for diabetic cough and cold items. Robitussin (sp) makes a liquid with splenda (horrid taste, but very effective). There are also a variety of lozengers that are for diabetics so no sugar.

Chicken broth and hot teas will also help with the scratchy throat.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Debi
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-04, 09:03

BF:

thanks for the info. Sadly today is a bank holiday here and I have to work ;-( so by the time I'm off work, all the shops will be closed, so can't get the ingredients for the chicken soup. I tried the all american chicken soup from the atkins site last week, it was really nice!!

I'll hope for the best and see what happens.

Gagalina
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-04, 21:30

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Look after yourself, Gagalina, that flu is a b**ch - I had it for 2 weeks and am still shaky after another week. Debi is right, there are plenty of diabetic options that will help. Best of all is a hot water bottle, a non-challenging book like Mills & Boon and loads of drinks, hot and cold.
A housekeeper and/or a personal nanny would be good, too
Babs
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 08:48

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi Gagalina,

Discovered this thread when surfing the American site so while my post will be well overdue in relation to your threatening cold, what I am about to say will benefit you in the future and to others who are interested.

There are three substances that will rid you of the cold or 'flu. Those are: coconut products, but especially virgin produced coconut oil; olive leaf extract; and virgin oregano oil.

Coconut, and especially the virgin coconut oil, contains lauric acid. You will probably know that viruses hide themselves in the body in an envelope of protein so that the immune system is unable to detect them. Lauric acid has this interesting feature of softening the viruses' envelopes and so letting the immune system do its work effectively. If taken after infection there will be a delay before the substance takes effect; this delay could be up to 12 hours after which the symptoms will rapidly disperse.

Olive leaf extract has similar curative qualities that act in a different way and reduce the severity of the symptoms and the length of the infection. Both taken together act synergistically and bring about a more rapid cure.

Virgin Oregano oil (not the type found in food stores) is nature's natural antibiotic and helps to rid the body of many infections. If taken with the other two substances a rapid cure to colds and flu will occur.

You can check the Internet on where to obtain the virgin oregano oil and also the virgin coconut oil.

Olive leaf extract is obtainable from HFS.

A cheaper medication would be to simply go to your local supermarket and buy creamed coconut block (found on the shelves for oriental foods) at between 60 - 80p(UK currency) or buy a tin of coconut milk, both are effective. The block can be broken into lumps and eaten or grated on to food. The substance is dosage dependant so the more the merrier. If taken daily in your diet it will prove to be an effective prophylactic. Should it fail to be a 100% effective then simply take more.

In addition to being antiviral those substances are also antibacterial (plus other benefits) so a small caveat here. If anyone is suffering from any form of bacterial infection which sometimes is unknown to those affected, then those people may see a worsening of their influenza symptoms. This is due to the rapid death of the bacteria which causes a poison as it builds-up in the body. This poison will pass out of the body in a few hours after which those so affected will feel considerably better.

The medical profession is aware of those benefits which were discovered through medical research many years ago but, it takes time for it to percolate through its conservatism.

Here's wishing you more strength to your arm.

Last edited by Duparc : Sun, Feb-27-05 at 04:12.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 23:00

Thanks for the info, Duparc. I have heard about Oil of Oregano and asked my health food shop to source it for me some time back, but no joy. I will try to get some online, though postage to Ireland is usually prohibitive for this kind of stuff.
Regarding the coconut block or milk, I use both of these in cooking, especially curries (yum!) - are they as effective this way, or must they be eaten au naturel?
Babs
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 04:25

BF:

Hi Babs, coconut should be effective in whatever way it is taken. Over the past 5 years, since learning of those benefits, I have been free of colds and 'flu. My wife, who tends to be slightly more casual about taking the coconut, has caught the symptoms twice but with our knowledge her symptoms never fully developed.

My favourite lipid researcher is Dr Mary Enig; try looking her up on the Net. She has quite a bit to say on the benefits of coconut and on natural saturated fats.

I buy virgin oregano oil from the States. It is great stuff to keep as a stand-by in the cupboard.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 12:27

BF:

Hi Duparc,

thanks for the info. I got over that flu alright with a big dose of Exputec sugar-free cough syrup - not horrible at all.
I only recently discoverd creamed coconut and actually bought 3 blocks of it earlier today - I think its a bit addictive. How much would you eat of the coconut a day??

Babs, are you in Dublin? I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw oil of oregano in the new Holland and Barrett on Grafton Street. I was only browsing through, but I'll check again next time.

I've read a few threads about oil of oregano, I think some people use it for weight loss...

I'll see if I can find the 3 things - and then hopefully no more flus ;-)

Gagalina
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 12:50

BF:

The amount of coconut needed has not been determined but the equivalent of half of a fresh coconut has been suggested. With virgin coconut oil the recommended daily amount is 3.5 tablespoons. With coconut milk, 10 ozs. Take a little daily and whenever you are in contact with anyone infected with influenza then raise the dosage level and take those additional substances mentioned too.

Incidentally, virgin coconut oil is excellent for the skin and hair. If you try it, apply just sufficient to absorb into the skin. If you apply too much your skin will remain oily for a time. Apply it to your hair on retiring, cover until the morning, then shampoo and your hair will be soft and have that lovely healthy sheen. Should it spill on to your clothing it will easily wash out.

You won't now need to purchase any of those expensive substances. Natural scents can be added to the oil, like lavender or whatever.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 19:59

Thanks Duparc. I will follow up your info online.
Gagalina, I'm in Donegal, but I'm near enough to H&B in Derry to visit. I don't know if it's the same in Dublin, but I find the staff more than a little unhelpful there. They look blank if they don't have the product you ask for, shrug their shoulders and tell you that there's no point in passing on your request to headquarters - what's on the shelves is IT!
The other health food shops at least pretend to look for what you want, take your details and (probably) send them to the bin! I've seen mention of the Oil of O in journals here praising it for weight loss - what an advantage along with the cold/flu deterrent!
Try the coconut milk/cream/block in curries - it's yum - and I've seen a recipe for coconut milk custard which is awaiting trial
So many recipes, so little time!

Babs