Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 21:38

Plan: my own (S.Beach-ish)
Stats: 272.5/264.5/150 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default (Whine, whimper) I can't

I need some hugs, this is not working out .

See, I was afraid this would happen. I was afraid I was starting too soon. I just sincerely hoped, hoped, hoped it would work out all right.

I'm breastfeeding a newborn (he's 6 weeks old). Low-carbing is not working for the milk supply. So I'm exhausted from baby nursing every hour or two since I started this diet a few days ago. Doesn't help that he's probably going thru a growth spurt!

I'm an experienced breastfeeding mama, and I can tell that I have to choose between low carbing and breastfeeding! Which of course, is simple. Baby comes first.

So why not WW or whatever? You know why! Insulin resistance! I can watch my portions, choose whole grains, etc. but it is entirely impossible for me to lose weight with anything in my diet other than meat, eggs, fat, and vegetables. I know, I've tried. The best I can do is to not gain, and lose maybe a pound or two a month.

I don't want to put off the weight loss. But I feel I have no choice. I'd like to stick around these boards, to keep my eye on the goal, though! And certainly I'll be sugar-free and I need some support for that.

If anybody has any advice I'll take it. But I think I probably have to put off an Atkins, even modified, for at least a few months.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 23:07
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

You're right, baby comes first (which one is it--Toby?) Do stay in touch with the boards, even if you have to postpone the actual weight loss part of this woe for a while. Have you tried eating at maintenance levels to see if you eat enough of whatever you're missing to make enough milk? That stretch of "I'm always hungry and you always have to be my milk machine" is the pits.

Jude
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-23-04, 23:35

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Amy, sorry to hear that you have to postpone your weight loss. But what a thrill to have a new little one! Congratulations!

When I started low carbing, I just started reducing my carbs. My first goal was 150 carbs per day. Once I saw that work, I dropped it to 125, then down to 100 and so on. Maybe you could try just reducing your carbs some, but not enough to stop the flow of milk.

I would recommend tracking calories right now if you can't really go low carb. There is probably a way for you to find out how many you need for breastfeeding. It's probably higher than normal. Maybe you could just eat healthy foods and cut back 200-300 calories per day or so. I would ask your Dr. for a recommendation too.

Good luck! And enjoy the breastfeeding time. As you know, it passes so quickly.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 05:19

Plan: my own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Amy, I breastfed my 3 year old till he was two and i found it extremely difficult to watch what i ate or start any kind of way of eating. My advice would be to concerntrate on baby first then when he or she is fisnished. Then sort yourself out. Do not feel bad for it. you will feel much better in the long run. You need to eat what brings your milk in. Breast is always best if you able to feed your baby yourself. Stick around and get advice for when you are ready to start. Feel good for feeding your baby.

Dee
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 06:13
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

I think there are a few women on the boards that are or have breast fed while low carbing, they just kept it at maintenance levels for the duration (if my faulty memory serves what I've read). You might want to do some searches on a few of the boards for "breast feeding" and you could come up with some advice

Debbie
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 06:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Definitely, the baby comes first. And the better YOU feel, the more you will be in charge of what you eat.

Use the Glycemic Index to choose foods but eat at Maintenance levels or even more. Vegetables, fruits, whole grains (cereal,pasta & breads), meats & other protein, dairy and basically "real" food.

You can do yourself a huge favour by avoiding processed foods that contain sugar and white flour and transfats. That would be enough to cut out while breastfeeding.

If you crave some sweet things besides fruits, check out the Recipe section for some delicious and non-carby recipes. It's a good way to begin your new habits.

Congratulations on the new arrival - wishing him a very happy life.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 07:07
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

You've gotten all the good advice already, but I just HAVE to echo the sentiment.. don't feel BAD for putting the baby's needs above your want to lose weight. You are doing the baby the BEST favor you can by nursing, and also by being conscious of your own health. As was already said, just get your energy from good food and avoid the "white stuff" and you can ease into it as you go.

BTW, both of mine went through the "always hungry" stage, and it doesn't take long for your body to adjust to the demandm but take care of yourself and get some rest. Adequate water intake is vital as well.

Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 08:32
Chaos in the flesh!

Plan: custom
Stats: 386/218.2/167 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 77%

There is no reason to feel bad about postponing your low carb way of life to help the life of a little one. But just think - you know how to eat healthy and have all that knowledge to share with the little one! When he goes to whole healthy foods, so do you! you can be healthy together
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-04, 15:30

Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%

Don't feel bad about not losing weight fast until after the baby stops breastfeeding. Look at it this way: if you lose a pound a month, if you nurse him until he's 4, you will have lost almost 50 pounds!

I remember being advised to NOT try to lose weight quickly while nursing, at least in part because of some of the environmental impurities that are stored in our fat tissue apparently gets released into the breastmilk. I don't know for sure that that's true -- but it seemed like a good excuse at the time. Contrary to expectations, I always GAINED weight the first six months or so of nursing -- probably in part because I was always so sick when I was pregnant, and food finally tasted good again.

You know you are doing the right thing to eat in a way that maintains a healthy milk supply; exercise if you can to be as fit as you can be, and when the time is right you'll be able to start serious LC'ing again.

Hang in there, stick around -- and congratulations on the baby!

(I gotta tell you, this week, nursing a baby sounds like LOTS more fun than parenting a couple of 18 yo's....even with the eating issues, I think I'm jealous.)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 04:22

Plan: my own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress:

Three year olds are not much more fun lol
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: high protein diet
Stats: 220/215.6/120 Female 1.58 Meters
BF:
Progress:

I'm tempted to say what others have said, so I"ll not do that...but yes, baby comes first - and if that means you don't lose weight, well, think of the advantages you are giving baby by breastfeeding! I think it's fantastic you're doing that.

DebbieQ
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 09:00

Plan: my own (S.Beach-ish)
Stats: 272.5/264.5/150 Female 69in
BF:
Progress: 7%

thank you all so much! Yes, Toby deserves to be breastfed. After a day or so of resting, drinking water, and eating some complex carbs, the milk supply appears to be getting back on track!

And here's something nifty...I weighed myself this morning just for grins, and I've lost 4.5 pounds this week! Wooohooo! Maybe just dropping the sugar and refined stuff and convenience foods, (+ breastfeeding) will get this weight loss going, after all.

I appreciate the support, and its nice to hear from current and former nursing moms .
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 14:25

Stats: 247/246/130 Female 5 foot 2.5 inches
BF:47%/32.0%/22.5%
Progress: 1%
Default breastfeeding and growth spurts

yea.... breastfeeding is the best and putting your child's milk suppy as first priority is so true... but I think you also hit upon a big factor that may have been more the case then the low carbing, espcecially if you were at a higher carb level then induction....... during growth spurts, it is totally normal to be an every hour or so demand schedule... I remember those days well... well I should say I remember the fog of those days well.... that constant demand is how your baby tells your body that it needs to increase the supply.... and as long as you keep up the liquids and plenty of high quality food intake, this phase too shall pass... at least to the next one at is it 9 or 12 weeks.... congrats on the loss....

I know you are an experienced breastfeeding mom... but I remember one I used to email too on a breastfeeding support group... she got so frazzled one day and so tired from the constant demands that she was getting ready to give her child some mashed banana even though she vowed not to for the first year... wanted baby to be totally breastfed for the first year... just before she gave some to her child, her hubby came and and she sobbed out her frustration about how her supply was just not enough and he calmly said to her, how can you give all the support to woman about how to deal with growth spurts and the emotional problems and questions during that time and not recognize it for yourself.... she said it became so clear at the point and she calmed down but had greater respect for the emotional complexities of breastfeeding through intense growth spurts after that session....

I wish you all the best but like others have said... stay closer to maintenance and even a little higher... get plenty of water, and rest when you can... hugs to thee and your little one
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-25-04, 15:05
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Good luck to you and want to reinforce what everyone else said -- you are absolutely making the right decision to put the baby first. I breastfed by first child for almost two years and my second child for a year (she weaned herself) and I'm very glad I did. If it helps, I have read that babies who are nursed on demand are much less likely to grow up to have weight problems than bottlefed babies. My children are now almost 15 and 19 and they are both quite slim. It could be genetics -- my husband does not have a weight problem, so perhaps they got lucky and got his genes and not my mine when it comes to weight -- but my gut feeling is that the fact that they both nursed for so long has something to do with the fact that they are not fat.