Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 12:52

Plan: CKD (Modified)
Stats: 27%/22%/15% Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question 1/3 & 1/3 & 1/3 - How to calculate RM food?

Good afternoon.
I tried searching for this answer but either I am an idiot in using search function or I am wording it wrong.

My question:
Reward meal must be 1/3 of each protein, carbs and fat, right?
How do we determine that precisely? Is it in grams? Lets say I eat 15 grams of carbs at my RM than do I eat 15 grams of fat and protein.

15*9 = 135 cal from fat
15*4 = 60 cal from protein
15 * 4 = 60 cal from carbs
Total 255 calories
60/255 = 24%
60/255 = 24%
135/255 = 53%

That does not look right…does it.
So than would the % that must be 33% each?

Also, how do you guys/girls know how to make those portions fit those %?
Can some one give me an example of how they do it?
I don’t mind being very particular and am willing to spend time to calculate everything to the T, I am just confused on how to do it. I did read the book, but I must be just an idiot I can’t figure this out.

Second Question????

With the reward meal being higher in carbs than the rest of the day, does your body every get into ketosis? If not, how do you lose weight, is it due to pure calorie reduction, so if for me the calories stay the same as before, will I lose any weight?
I don't understand how this plan creates weight loss, I can see how Atkins does due to ketosis, how does this one do it?

Could someone, please be so kind and try to help me get this right.
I am hoping to start this diet tomorrow.
Thank you so very much to anyone who will respond.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 17:39

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

No 1/3 protien, 1/3 carb and 1/3 complimentary vegie. Ketosis is not the point of this WOE-It is insulin regulation-fat cannot be stored without the presence of insulin-insulin is secreted in response to carbs only-no carbs most of the day-no fat storage-excess protein is excreted, dietary fat is burned, stored fat is broken down!!!! Go back to your book, they explain it better than I do!!!!
Welcome!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-03, 18:55

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

To calculate your 1/3 portions you use a very handy tool... your eyeballs! You simply estimate approximately 1/3 of each type, by volume of food, not by carb grams or anything else. The fact that you don't have to weigh or measure anything, or count anything at all is one of the things I love most about this program. I always hated counting calories, and carb grams would be the same thing. It just isn't necessary on CAD.

And, as Donna said, people on CAD don't have to worry about ketosis at all. I have no idea if I have ever been in it and it doesn't matter to me.

I love CAD

Tracy
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 06:17

BF:

Thank you very much for the reply. I did read the book, last night again (some parts) and it is still not clear to me. When I spoke of protein, fat and carbohydrates in 1/3, I guess I was just being more technical in terms, sorry for making it sound wrong.
I am coming from Atkins and have been in a terrible long stall and than gained weight on Atkins and not just a few pounds. I am sure it was due to extra calories and too much fat.

Question 1: If we do use the 1/3 of each in estimation of size by eye, how can a piece of cheesecake or cake with 40-70 carbs and the same portion of strawberries with 12 or so carbs be ok. Or just simple bread and other items comparison.

Also, if the insulin stability is keeping me from storing fat that is only small portion of the game, I don’t just want to not store fat I want to make sure that my already stored fat is going away. I do exercise moderately 5 times a week and do both cardio and weight training.

I guess I just don’t understand the principles behind it and coming from Atkins mind set does not help. Please understand that I just don’t want to gain more weight and I am just so tired of doing Atkins and still gaining and not eating many carbs at all?

Question 2: When you choose RM meal items, do you really just choose anything, or do yo watch it to be lower fat and lower carb?

I am just scared that this will not work for me, I just want so much for something to work, I am so tired of restricting everything I eat and still not being at goal.

Question 3: How does this approach work for those with 10-20 lb to lose or those approaching goal. I know what the book says about that stage, but what about real people out there.

Please share your thoughts and experience, I really need to find something that might work for me. I do understand how it should work by the book, but does it in real life with real people? I know Atkins works and works for so many, but it is no longer working for me, that is why I am so sceptical. I know it should, but does it and will it for me?

Thank you very much to anyone who takes his or her time to respond and try to help me.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 19:00

You need to learn to let the carb counting thing go. We are not aiming for ketosis here! The 1/3 portion of carbs simply limits the carbs but within a wide range, some days more than others. I choose what I want for RM-within reason of course-I try to eat like a normal non dieting person. I can't answer question #3 as I have much more weight than that to lose-and most of the CAD people who come to mind do also. Good luck and don't worry so much!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 11:23

BF:
Default Thank you, sorry to bother you

Thank you everyone for helping me out.
I started yesterday and did not do as well as I planned.
I also started writing in a journal with menu and daily exercise.
If anyone ever would like to jump there and say hello or post a suggestion or anything like that, it would be greatly appreciated.
I am coming from about 15 years of dieting and counting calories, fat lots of years of eating disorders and being either too thin or too fat. Than I threw myself into Atkins but can no longer lose more weight and can’t stand eating 15-20 carb a day and see no result.

I just want to try to learn how to eat healthy and balanced and not be obsessed with all the carbs or calories or eating too much and not keeping it or when keeping it gaining too much weight.

I apologize for the questions that might have sounded stupid, I just did not write them well and sort of am terrified of letting go of Atkins.

I will do my best to follow CAD or CALP ( I am going to try to buy that book tonight or as soon as I can and read it, not sure how different they are).

Hope everyone is having a nice day.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 16:55

They are not stupid at all, we all had these sorts of questions at the beginning-happy to help and to see you make such a positive choice for your health
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 20:19

Plan: Atkins, switched to CAD
Stats: 195/194/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:don't know
Progress: 3%

Hi, I am just starting on CAD after some Atkins too.
The best advice for me so far has been to start a jounal here. That way, if you have questions concerning what may have triggered cravings or why you are not losing, the people here who have been doing this longer can look at your journal and tell you what foods may be causing your distress.

Wishing you the best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 01:56
amieK

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

222*2-

For inspiration, take a look at sheilaraye's journal

Her CAD journey is amazing! Great Before & After photos too, as I recall. Sheilaraye ROCKS!!!

All the best,
amieK
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 04:50
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

222*2
You should probably read back 3 months on the CAD/CALP thread. The issues raised and questions asked are probably answered there in great detail. Also read the journals of people posting on the CAD/CALP forum. Reading those will offer guides and reassurance that this program does work. Then print out the CAD/CALP cheat sheet and stallers list and post where necessary and carry them with you so you have them to refer to.

Finally read and reread the book. Now that you have done the background reading, the book will make sense and be understandable. You will refer to the book many times. It is an invaluable reference.

Good luck and welcome to CAD/CALP!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 08:13

BF:

Thank you very much to all for the posts!!!
I did start my journal and will try my best to get things under control and get myself into a healthy way of eating instead of going crazy with one thing of the other.
I got the sheets and rules and started to document things and will look at the links as well.
I will reread book again, and you are right it does make different sense when you do it after reading more specifics.
My problem is trying to switch from Atkins and being sort of set in that way and than trying to switch to anything else possible in the last few month, I have considered Protein Power, CKD, TKD, and tons of other Low Carb Approaches, and have just been going crazy since sometimes at the end of last. I have looked at so many options and kept trying to lose the last few pounds, but instead end up gaining a bunch back and now am worse off that before.
I not that my approach is probably wrong, but I really do want to get heathier and better and after going back and forth between all the possible low carb and other plans, I think my best chance of getting to goal and eating without obsession would be with CAD (CALP).
I do greatly appreciate everyone input and help and am looking forward to making this work for me.
I took the CA test and scored about 100%, only one question I was not a firm yes, the rest were.

Thank you for all your help and once again, I am sorry for that post asking the questions that already have been asked, I will make sure to search more before I post.

Hope everyone has a nice day!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 20:40
"Hopeless Romantic"

Plan: 000000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 26%

22*2, I have only been following CAD for about a month and I too had/have alot of questions. I keep going back to the book or asking here too. For me, trying to eyeball the rm and fit the carbs in the 1/3 portion seems kind of hard, so I error on the low side. That way if I slow down, then I know where to start looking. I just try to remember to look at my reward meal and add up in my head all the things that are considered carbohydrate rich and see if they balance with protein and veggies. Hope this helps a bit.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 330/276/150 Female 5' 1/2
BF:WAY TOO MUCH!!!
Progress: 30%

Your not having to calculate the 1/3 x 1/3 x 1/3...
What it means is to get a picture in your mind of your dinner in front of you like this...
1. A 2 cup salad (this is separate and supossedly eaten first)
2. A plate with 3 equal sections:
a) 1 section will hold cooked low carb veggies
b) 1 section will hold your meat or other protein
c) 1 section will hold your reward (desert,breadings or otherwise no-nos.)

Now This is just to give you a 'picture' to go by because your 'reward' may actually be a part of your drink or even a coating on your protein...so you have to 'equal out' the portions as best as you can at times. The main thing to remember is that this reward meal is NOT a 'free for all' to pig out on forbidden foods...it is to allow you a reward inside of a balanced (as much as possible) LC meal. If you eat it all and want more...you divide it up again the same way(maybe a spoon more of each instead of whole portions though)...Just finish it all in your hour.

What is really good about Low Carbing though is it is really a 'forgiving' woe at times. I have been following some of those with the best results in CAD/Calp/Atkins/otherLC and have seen some are having good results even though they are doing things slightly different than the 'exact' rules. The individualizations that work for them may or may not work for me or you but we can try things a little at a time as we go and see...but the main thing is to use the book, keep a journal, ask questions and get more strict if what your doing is NOT getting results.
If your addicted to carbs like we are this will work for you too.
Pat