Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 12:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/155/125 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:
Default Help! Cannot achieve ketosis state!

I have been low carb dieting for 3 months. The first month, I ate under 15 carbs per day, and finally achieved ketosis, but found it difficult to maintain long term using Atkins, as I lost only one pound. My caloric intake was 1200 to 1300 calories per day. I now eat an average of 20 carbs a day, averaging 1050 calories which I can maintain, but consistently test with no ketones present. I have lost ten pounds in the past two months.i am disabled, so prolonged or strenuous exercise is not possible. How can enter and maintain ketosis, as it seems to be the goal for weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 13:17

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

You will find a lot of answers here, but I'll start with a few.

First off, you are having a lot of success losing weight (10 pounds in two months is good), so maybe you don't need to be in ketosis.

Second, how are you testing? Some people here say that the sticks are not completely accurate, and some people feel they have all the benefits of ketosis, even when the sticks read pale, or not at all. Others use meters which are supposed to be more accurate.

Third, some will say you aren't eating enough calories, and will tell you to increase your fat intake. Are you eating avocados, butter, olive oil, macadamia nuts? Going down to 1050 seems awfully low, and calorie reduction on it's own may not help get into ketosis -- but eating more fat, especially if it's replacing carbs and protein, may help.

Fourth, you may consider that some medications may prevent you from going into ketosis. I have a friend who is having a lot of trouble, even under 20 carbs, but she has chronic illnesses and makes a lot of special teas and cannabis tinctures -- we aren't sure if that could be affecting her.

Finally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are feeling great, don't have cravings for sugars or carbs, losing weight, and stay on your plan, then you are fine. We are all different -- I can be in very strong ketosis for months and not lose even a pound (for me only fasting has helped my persistent insulin resistance). And prolonged and strenuous exercise is unnecessary -- it is for people who enjoy it. Just exercise enough to feel good and reasonably fit.

Hope that helps -- I'm sure other people will chime in.

Kat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 14:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've been low carbing (with some cheating here & there) for a couple of years now and have never been able to get into ketosis, no matter how low carb I am. I'm finally losing weight with the help of IF, tho the weight loss is slow. But I'm not going to complain too much about the slowness - I did lose 6 pounds in the last month.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 14:33

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster

Finally, I wouldn't worry about it. If you are feeling great, don't have cravings for sugars or carbs, losing weight, and stay on your plan, then you are fine. We are all different -- I can be in very strong ketosis for months and not lose even a pound (for me only fasting has helped my persistent insulin resistance). And prolonged and strenuous exercise is unnecessary -- it is for people who enjoy it. Just exercise enough to feel good and reasonably fit.

Kat

Welcome! I'd parrot this. I've never even tested to see if I was in ketosis, and whether I was or wasn't I've had success losing weight. So have you! If you feel good and you're losing, I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever you're doing is working.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 19:39

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

If things keep going this badly then you'll be at your goal in only six months. Congratulations.

At 20g per day, you are in ketosis. The only question is, are you sure you are at 20g per day?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-14-16, 21:59

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Why so few calories? You say Atkins, but Dr Atkins didn't say to cut calories.

That may be why your weight loss has slowed so drastically, because your cutting calories has slowed your metabolism. Are you eating lean meats, or choosing fattier ones? If not fattier, try adding calories that way: DON'T up your carbs or your protein, but try upping the fat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 04:25

Stats: 178/155/125 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your replies. I will not to worry so much about the testing strip results. After checking the Atkins book, my percentage of protein is higher than recommended, and fat is lower. I will work at readjusting these. I do appreciate the words of encouragement!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 04:31
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Ketosis or fat adapted? interesting article about losing weight and not in ketosis but being fat adapted... Come to find out, most of us are "fat adapted" instead.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-15-16, 07:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 184.4/134.6/135 Female 5'3"
BF:32.8/23.9
Progress: 101%

Ketone sticks are mainly meant for medical ketones, not the kind low carbers have in their urine. If you are eating less than 20 gr of carbs per day you are in ketosis. If you are not hungry all day and craving food you are in ketosis. If you have a sweet or metallic taste in your mouth you are in ketosis. I went through this too stressing that I was not in ketosis because those pesky strips wouldn't turn purple. All that did was cause me to stress about it which was detrimental. If you are losing weight without cravings and hunger you are in ketosis.