Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 17:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/140/140 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Going to Mexico, worried about snacking

I am leaving for Puerto Vallarta on 2/15. I will be staying at an all-inclusive, and while I am very certain I will have no problem finding LC friendly foods in the buffets etc., I am trying to plan my strategy for snacks. Chips and salsa were one of my big addictions way back when, and I find now when we go out for Mexican food, although I don't eat them when they are put on the table, I am VERY tempted. I would really like to try to enjoy this vacation and make responsible food choices, without feeling miserable becuase I am depriving myself of something I will really enjoy (ie. fresh chips and salsa). For anyone else maintaining, would you allow yourselves the indulgence of a serving of chips and salsa occasionally during vacation, knowing that you wouldn't have a problem cutting them out of your diet again when you get home? What sort of havoc would this wreak with my system?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 18:09
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I just came home from Cancun and to tell you the truth, I ate and drank as much as I wanted, (we also stayed at an all inclusive) without worrying about it. I go on vacation one time a year, and I personally find it more enjoyable to indulge. I was back on track the day after returning, and the vacation bloat/gain will be gone quickly.

JMTC.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 19:42
Stay in the ZONE!!

Plan: atkins/mine
Stats: 253.5/253.5/200 Female 5'2"
BF:Losing It!
Progress: 0%

I am with 4beans on this one. I am on vacation to Mexico and don't do it often, so I indulged and enjoyed it and then got right back on the program after getting back. I did take almonds with me and some jerky, for snacking!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 08:02
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I do it different- I stay mostly on plan, and give myself permission to be flexible for 2 or 3 days of the week. One time each of those days. I am on a different plan than you guys, but I hear over and over and over how going on a vacation and going off led to a large weight gain, and a really hard time getting back on plan.
This has worked for me in Mexico, Costa Rica, Italy and elsewhere since I have been on CALP.

This is obviously a YMMV issue. I would also throw in that the fun of the vacation isn't the food- what is it for you? Focus on that. Hve fun!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-06, 17:08

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Enjoy your vacation - have the salsa and chips (you're in maintenance, remember????) - try heaping a LOT of salsa on a chip (I doubt salsa is particularly carby) - or maybe even buy some low carb chips and take them with you...

Whenever we go on a trip, I eat pretty much how I want - the key being that I no longer want to eat high carb junk! - but I enjoy chowders/sourdough breads in Seattle, oranges in Florida, just whatever the area is particularly known for - and when I come home I get back to regular eating - I haven't even noticed a weight gain for these times.

And wear your new little bathing suit - at your weight I'll bet you are a knockout - and that will help keep you monderate in your indulgences!