Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 15:19
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%
Question My Teenager and CAD, Reward Meal Question

I'm having my teenage daughter go on CAD at the start of July when we get the book. I can arrange for the food to be in the house (she might often have to make it herself alas) and we already don't have junkfood in the house. Hopefully she will read the whole book.

She tries lowcarb (which is what our house 'has') but:

1. She chronically yo-yo's, often within 1-3 days.
2. She eats and eats LC stuff (meat) and still feels hungry.
3. She has constant starch/chocolate cravings she feels she can't control.
4. She hates herself for #3.

Zuleikaa suggested she might benefit from this eating plan. She is bombing horribly on standard LC for sure, she's gaining yet MORE weight thanks to binging-off-it constantly, so it seems like it might help.

I'm adding a bunch of supplements to her days to try and bring up the minerals and such in case that helps.

I saw this review at amazon and I was wondering if you guys could comment on it.

This review was written in the year 2000, 12 years ago! And the book itself is like 1993! I was kind of bummed there wasn't a newer edition.
Quote:
The book is very motivational, but is a little hazy when it comes to details. For instance, we are told to have whatever we like in our reward meal with only the guidance that it should be a feast, not a gorge. That is what it says in the book. However, after checking on the website today, it appears that they have added a number of disclaimers to that statement. They say that EVERY reward meal must start with 2 cups of salad, and that you must have a 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs, and 1/3 veggies balance. I don't mind this at all, in fact, it sounds quite reasonable. Just be warned that none of this is in the book. It seems like the diet is a work in progress, constantly changing and refining itself. I worry that I am not keeping current-how long before this book becomes outdated?

Are there other sources of 'updated' info that I should be acquiring for this?

PJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 16:52
Every moment is NOW.

Oh, and a related question: should I get the first (90s) book or the second (life-plan) book for her to read?

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 17:15
Every moment is NOW.

PS here is another review from amazon with similar plea:
Quote:
Now I've found out that the new version of this book says you can only eat 1/4 or 1/3 whatever it is of carbs in your reward meal. So what happened to all the claims from this first book about the reward meal? It apparently worked, so why the change? Was it all untrue? And if you follow the guidlines from the first book, will it not work? Seems like this has now become a version of Atkin's... The Heller's claimed that you need carbs and that eliminating them altogether is not healty, and that you can have sweeteners etc. But in this new version, you are virtually cutting out all carbs etc. So what's the deal? It's all very confusing. I don't mind trying this, but I'm not sure it will work, and what version to follow.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 17:25

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I did CAD and liked the original version. I hated the updated version with its salad, and 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 proportions. Mainly because I truly loathe salad because it made me tense not following the program because I'm the kind of person who likes to follow a plan as written at least in the beginning. The salad thing sounded stupid to me, like it was buying into the "fiber makes you full" school of thought which I already disrespected.

When i followed the original plan I did not have a problem eating too much, or not having the right mix of protein veg and starch/sugar. And I always had my veggies mostly cooked. But then, I was more a starch person than a dessert person and I think that is easier - people who don't feel right unless they've had their sweets have it harder to handle, in my opinion.

Anyway - I too do badly on the kind of LC where you keep carbs under 20, with the blowout in 1-3 days.

I found CAD very easy to do and I had my meal with starch at noon. That gave me a lower carb breakfast and dinner and feeling full all day helped. Also for some reason I had more social lunches than dinners and it was easier to manage eating out.

However, I also feel that the era of CAD did not help me learn to feel good on smaller meals which I eventually needed to learn. Maybe it was just the way I did it. And like I said, I tried to get the carbs in all day later which didn't work. Or to be more precise, eating and drinking at night.

As far as behavior and theories behind the plan - I also loathed the concept of a "reward" meal and it made me want to not read the book or hang around others who were talking like that. It's regular life, not a "reward," to get good nutrition for myself and to get energy without the hungry horrors. Sheesh.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 17:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm a binge eater, CAD was an utter disaster for me. Reward meal turned into binge meal.

I don't know if you've got the ability to do it, but might cognitive behavior therapy help your daughter? Maybe at her age this would be a good time to look into something like that.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 18:33

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hey PJ, thanks for posting this.

My 13 year old is just starting to talk about the "D-word" and it's freaking me out. The whole discussion is the ultimate minefield at this age. As is everything! I've been told that I am the only person on the face of the earth who is incapable of "ever saying anything right"! And she has a STB 18 year old brother, who lives to sneer.....

Good luck! Let us know if anything good happens. I will too. Probably in around five years!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 19:27

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

I never tried CAD - went with CALP which was newly out when I was looking for a lc plan. It has worked beautifully for me. The salad pre RM is easy to deal with in that you can substitute a cm veggie for the salad (still need to have more cm veggies to keep that 1/3 balance).

I believe they wrote a cad for kids book - will let enomarb comment on that.

I've not been perfect (or I'd have finished losing all my weight years ago when I first did well) but it's going well now that I'm firmly on. I'd highly recommend you chat with enomarb, and come to the ongoing cad/calp thread where most of us post and chat.

I will say - I have loved my carbs over the years, but when I'm firmly on plan, I can walk through a bakery or chocolate aisle, knowing if I want any of it, I can work it into a rm (sensibly of course), and that works for me. I love my protein and veggies, which helps

I find it a very doable for life program, truly.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 14:35
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
there is a book that no one has mentioned that I love- HEALTHY FOR LIFE. It stresses LC eating- the same CA plan- as a way to be healthy.
It is cheap on AMazon- I'd look at that for your teen.

The plan is basically 2 totally LC meals/day- only protein and allowed (green mostly veggies. One meal includes carbs- but it is not a carb fest but a way to eat. The SWEDISH PLATE is the carb meal- 1/4 carbs, 1/2 veggies and 1/4 protein.

See what you think- if this will work for your DD.

I think it is terrific how you are looking to help her - I am a big fan of yours, rightnow.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 15:35
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 241/225/160 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 20%

this HEALTHY FOR LIFE book...is it also by the Hellers or someone else? There are two on Amazon
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 07:09
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

the one I'm talking about is by the Hellers