Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 13:29

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%
Default exercise question for the maintainers

While you were actively losing, how much did you exercise compared to now? Do you find that you need to exercise more now that you are simply maintaining? I am not there yet, but I am researching for the day when I am (hopefully someday soon!!). I am wondering if, in the future, I will be able to maintain if I exercise the same amount I do now. I know everyone's different, I am just curious to know your experiences
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I think most maintainers keep a certain amount of exercise in their lifestyle, keeping in mind it's not just the food that put the weight on

Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 22:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I keep trying and failing to stick to any kind of organized exercise program. I don't have a car, so walking and carrying home groceries is pretty much the limit of my exercise.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:19
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I exercise a little less now that I've reached goal weight. I'm still losing, too, which is nice. I'm shooting for 3-4 times per week.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 20:00

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:

I feel fortunate, falling in love with my exercise (running) - so still running, more and more.

Similar way my evening Pilates/stretches routine is such a natural part of my day - going to bed without doing it would be as going to bad without a shower/bath.

I started the exercise to fight back the first signs of aging. Maybe I could keep my weight with no or less exercise, but I am absolutely sure that my insomnia, headache etc would come back as fast as they disappeared.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:36

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

Hi

I can only say that I felt I was moving more as I was losing, probably because I had more energy and could walk up stairs without tripping!

The nice weather here now will get me out walking, but that is the limit to my exercise !

Mary
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-30-04, 19:31

Stats: 148/108/108 Female 5'3"
BF:

I don't excerise to excercise, just to get something done. I walk to work and to the store instead of drive. I do a lot of housework and yardwork. All of that is excercise, so I don't really belong to a gym. Long ago I decided I might as well get something done while I burn fat. So instead of the "step" master, I climb stairs to get somewhere.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 15:11
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I'm not a maintainer quite yet, but as I get closer to goal I find I exercise more and more.

For one, I enjoy it more, because it's a lot easier without an excess 55 lbs. But also it becomes more and more apparent, the body I see in my head is only going to come through working out -- building muscle and losing body fat. I want to look good naked, not just in clothes.

Also I'm so proud of what I have accomplished that it has made me curious about how much more I could achieve if I really focus on being a fit and healthy person. I realize that everything I thought was out of my grasp is closer than I thought.

And LC has given me the energy and confidence to go after it!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 11:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I think it comes down to this, my time limits are the same, but I get more done in that time. Such as more weights, and reps, and higher levels on the bike, or treadmill. But this is something that has to happen to everyone. More for the reason that as you exercise, you get stronger. The stronger get the more you increase your resistance. If you do not, then you are really not doing to much good for your body. The body is very good at addapting to situations, and what use to be a work out once becomes common place.

To counter this you either add more reps, or more weight to your workouts. You also have to keep changing your patterns, to keep yourself interested, and you body challenged.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 18:51

BF:
Smile

I would love to know how many people walk to work. I do this five days a week (almost two miles each way...going to work in the morning is all uphill) in all kinds of weather. In summer I would scurry home dodging lightening bolts. The only kind of weather I would draw the line is in bad winter (ice) in which my life and limb would be in danger. My only transportaiton expense are shoes. Weekends are reserved to going to the food stores by walking. I remeber reading about this in the paper some time ago. I can't remember the figure, but I was surprised by the large number of people who choose to walk instead of drive. I love excersie that solves a problem
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 12:00
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I agree with Mary. You definitely have to keep pushing yourself or you stop making progress. And then you're just wasting your time. I guess the saying is true - there is no finishing line in this race.

Rachel - my friends walks about 3 miles to work each day and back. She has the same attitude - she has to get home anyway, may as well kill two birds with one stone. She's also super cheap and saves the busfare.

Anyway - it has done wonders for her lower body. She's Greek and has the classic voluptuous butt. It has really slimmed down a lot, along with hips and thighs. She's very happy and looks great.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 21:19

BF:

I stopped driving two years ago. I was totally bored by the gym, so I decided to walk. Just walking everyday helped so much! I feel better and walking to work everyday helps "clear" my head. Needless to say, I can walk miles and never get tired. I work at a large university and I have a free gym at work, but I would rather walk!

By the way, I have a co-worker who works out everyday at the gym, but eats low-fat diet. For the few pounds she gets rid of, she gains a couple more. She won't switch to Atkins, says she loves rice and bread too much and works out 40-45 min a day. To each his own....I would rather take a little walk
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 22:03
Registered Member

Plan: atkins (ish)
Stats: 169/139.9/129.9 Female 5'4
BF:?/suddenly lots/21
Progress: 74%

I loved walking when I lived in the city ...its so much easier when you have a destination. I think its a great idea, those of you that are doing that.

Now I live in the middle of paradise with beautiful hiking trails but only get out once in a while with a friend. Its so much easier to do when you are on your way somewhere etc. my work is too close to count for much. I just have to get over my bear phobia and get out walking more alone. Hmmm....wonder if I can figure out a three hour detour to the store thats only a couple blocks away lol.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 05:40
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaillean

She's Greek and has the classic voluptuous butt.

I love this one, my husband is Greek, both parents are right from Greece. While my son takes after my side of the family, my daugher is differently Greek! If there is one thing I can say about her now, she have a very Greek butt! Ofcourse I would never tell her that!