Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 12:24

Plan: eat less, exercise more
Stats: 229/185/154 Male 66 inches
BF:41%/28%/13%
Progress: 59%
Default 5 foods it's cheaper to grow

MSN Money has an article about 5 Foods it's cheaper to grow. Their expert's recommendations are:
  • Fruit trees
  • Lettuce
  • Herbs
  • Vine vegetables (e.g. zucchini and cucumbers)
  • Bell peppers

They also list 5 foods to leave to the professional growers:
  • Potatoes
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Asparagus
  • Wheat

Note that 4 of the 5 "cheaper to grow" choices are definitely low-carb, while 3 of the 5 "don't try this at home" foods are NOT low-carb. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 12:27

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

We'll have to move the celery from the bottom list and swap with the fruit trees I guess.

I guess they think tomatoes are vine veggies.

Lettuce is a pain to grow though. Bugs love it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

I always grew more potatoes than I wanted, and they make their own starts if you leave them alone. I also have asparagus I can't stop and celery is not too hard to grow from heritage seeds.

Fruit trees can be cheap if you don't have to try to keep deer out of the apples, that can be a high tech, high dollar problem.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Note that 4 of the 5 "cheaper to grow" choices are definitely low-carb, while 3 of the 5 "don't try this at home" foods are NOT low-carb. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!
ROTFLMAO!!! Actually, I find peppers cheapest to buy at the farmer's markets, then use that land to grow okra and brassicas.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 13:41

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I have fruit trees. I think they are economical if you realize they are just bait. If I could only shoot squirrels in a suburban neighborhood.....

One thing I think would be VERY economical would be Hazelnut trees/shrubs. I have room on the side of the house and I am thinking of picking up a couple.

I do save a ton of money growing my own herbs. I have chives, oregano, thyme, mint, sweet woodruff, rosemary, and sage. I just planted some fennel and dill from seed so hopefully those take. I just harvested a batch of chive blossoms that are now sitting in some vinegar. It turns the vinegar a lovely purple color, and after it mellows over a couple of weeks, it makes a great salad dressing. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Last edited by Wifezilla : Wed, May-28-08 at 14:20.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 13:44

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

my dogs eat all my veggies in the backyard.

I'm going to have to be a rebel and plant a victory garden in the front.

ooohhhh, if the neighbours didn't talk before....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 14:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, considering how expensive Apricots and apples are, my fruit trees are a bargain! And store bought apricots are always crappy tasting.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
And store bought apricots are always crappy tasting.
That's true. Apricots are the worst, but lots of fruit doesn't appeal to me in the store, apples are either too tart or too sweet, oranges are too dry and sweet, avocados are horrid and plums are bland. Once you've had them from an old family tree, grown in rich soil with earthworms and leaf mould around them, store bought fruit is just a disappointment.

I've got blueberries and (thornless) blackberries growing. But I'm afraid most fruit is forbidden to me now. I like it too much and can sit under a tree munching all day if I don't watch out.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 15:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
One thing I think would be VERY economical would be Hazelnut trees/shrubs. I have room on the side of the house and I am thinking of picking up a couple.

Some years ago I read that it is possible to buy hazelnut bushes with the roots pollinated (?) by truffle spores. I think it was a company in Oregon that was selling them. If my memory does not deceive me, they were promising 50% success with truffles. This might be a good idea. And one could sell excess truffles and make some extra buck.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 15:48
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have an orange tree, grapefruit tree, lemon tree and fig tree. I grew tomatoes last year but ran into some issues with aphids so I don't think I will grow them again even though they were delicious.

I would love some berry bushes but I don't have the space.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 16:01
Registered Member

Funny thing is that you can now buy fruit trees that produce fruit that tastes just a bad as the stuff in the stores. Same for tomato plants.

Living in a cold climate, finding the Russian heirloom varieties of tomatoes was a blessing. Not much in this world beats the taste of a Black from Thula or Black Krim tomato straight from the vine.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 16:03
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felicie
Some years ago I read that it is possible to buy hazelnut bushes with the roots pollinated (?) by truffle spores.
I might be interested in that. I looked it up in google and found some folks in the UK that were selling such trees, but not here. Do you happen to remember any additional facts that might help my search?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 05:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Female 5´7"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
I might be interested in that. I looked it up in google and found some folks in the UK that were selling such trees, but not here. Do you happen to remember any additional facts that might help my search?

I read about it in Los Angeles Times (could have been the Food Section). It must have been around year 2000 + or - 2 years. I can't remember the details, unfortunately. All I remember that it was a plant nursery in Oregon. If there is nothing on the Internet then maybe they have discontinued. I would imagine they would advertise if these were still available. That's too bad. Maybe you could order from England? Another thing is whether truffles would grow in Vermont. I always thought of them as southern mushrooms that grow in places like France and Italy. I remember that the article mentioned the time zones where these bushes would yield a truffle harvest, but, unfortunately, I don't remember what these were. Good luck! Please let me know if you find them.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 06:41
Registered Member

BF:

I read up a little on them, and some of them might grow here, since they grow in England and Germany.

The ones in the UK all say, "No shipping to the US" which means there is probably an agricultural ban. But they do grow them in California, Oregon and Washington state.

I'll probably send out some emails and talk to those folk who grow them, they probably can tell me where to go...
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 08:10
Registered Member

Gosh, Beardric, no need to send out an email -- I can tell you where to go!