Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "...there comes that time when your diet is no longer working..."

Diet pitfalls

Scott Craven, The Arizona Republic

Mar. 16, 2004 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/health/fit...iettypes16.html

It's almost inevitable. In even the most carefully chosen food plan, there comes that time when your diet is no longer working. Either the weight is returning or you're just plain bored because you find yourself eating the same foods day after day. Every diet has inherent pitfalls. If you're in a rut, the first thing you need to do is identify the obstacle and then find your way around it. Here are some ways to successfully navigate the landmines of the most popular weight-management methods:

Low or reduced fat

This was the way to lose weight in the 1990s. Less fat meant fewer calories and fewer calories meant fewer pounds.

Advantages: There remains an abundance of no- or low-fat products, from bagels to skinless chicken. Each item faithfully lists its fat grams so adherents can keep a close eye on fat intake.

Pitfalls: This diet makes the mistake that all fats are bad fats, said chef Michelle Richter, a nutritionist and owner of First Class Cooking of Scottsdale. Saturated fats, as those in most snack foods, are certainly to be avoided. But beneficial fats, as found in nuts and fish, should be liberally added. The body craves fats, and an avoidance of them may make the person hungrier. People may eat more to compensate, thinking less fat means fewer calories, though that is not always the case, Richter said.

The fix: Add protein, including turkey and skinless chicken, or lean cuts of beef such as tenderloin or ground beef with less than 20 percent fat, said Dana Thompson, a registered dietitian from Glendale. Mix in nuts and fish, and perhaps a serving of beans. Fiber, especially that found in fruits and whole-grain bread, is a great way to reduce hunger without adding a lot of calories.

Low carb

The current rage, as espoused by the Atkins and South Beach diets, has cast breads and pastas as the dietary villains. Cut out the carbohydrates and you reduce energy supplied to the muscles, requiring the body to break down fat for fuel, according to the diets' originators.

Advantages: A wide variety of low-carb products are available as food manufacturers rush to satiate the low-carb hunger. One reason the diet seems to work, Richter said, is because the protein foods that dominate the diet are more filling, so dieters consume fewer calories.

Pitfalls: Our bodies crave carbs, and for good reason, Thompson said. It's the best and fastest way to get the fuel we need, and carbs are essential for active people. The long-term risks are also unknown, though food scientists say low-carb diets are high in the types of fats that contribute to heart disease and kidney problems.

The fix: Though Richter is wary of the potential long-term problems of low-carb diets, she does like the third phase of the South Beach diet that introduces a larger percentage of carbs. Satisfy those cravings with fruits, which offer important fiber and nutrients. Stick to whole grains since they break down slowly and don't spike blood sugar levels (which can result in increased hunger).

Packaged foods

Look in the frozen-food section of your grocery store and the popularity of convenient, low-calorie food is obvious. Weight Watchers, Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice and the rest depend on the desire for easy-to-prepare meals that won't tax the waistline. Go on the Jenny Craig diet, and the company can provide everything you eat. And then there's Slimfast, which supplies two meals per day (one liquid, one packaged meal) as well as snacks.

Advantages: Little thinking is required. "These meals do the work for you," Richter said. "They control the calories and the portions. All you have to do is eat."

Pitfalls: Boredom. Frozen and/or processed foods can get tiring or, if you're on Jenny Craig, somewhat expensive, Richter said. While the frozen meals meet most nutritional needs, dieters can shortchange themselves in vitamins and fiber if they stick to the same one or two dishes (rotating between pizza and lasagna, for example).

The fix: If the diet is working, it may need a fine-tuning to keep it a little more interesting, Thompson said. Throw on a few spices. Abandon the frozen lasagna for a slab of fresh fish thrown on the grill. Don't waste those valuable dessert points on a handful of low-fat cookies. Try a small slice of chocolate cake. Treat yourself every now and then, even if it does not adhere to the diet's rules.

Vegetarian

Physicians, nutritionists and every food study ever done recommend a diet high in fruits and vegetables. The vegetarian is one of the few who meets or exceeds these recommendations, and is the darling of the diet world. What could possibly be wrong?

Advantages: A plethora of healthful, low-calorie foods is available. If the emphasis is on fruits and vegetables, you can nearly eat your fill without worrying about calories, Richter said. The diet is also steeped in vitamins and nutrients.

Pitfalls: Animal protein contains its share of vital nutrients, including vitamin B-12 and beta carotene, Thompson said. And since cupcakes fit a vegetarian diet as well as carrots, some people think a dinner of broccoli and soy allows them to splurge on cheesecake and milkshakes (or, if their diet prohibits dairy products, fries and onion rings). A strict vegetarian diet can also be strictly boring.

The fix: Be creative to eliminate the boredom. There are dozens of vegetarian cookbooks filled with meals and desserts that challenge the taste buds, Thompson said. Add legumes for protein and avoid overloading on carbohydrates by eating whole grains, Richter said.

Grazing

Who needs to sit down to three meals a day when you can snack here and there? Millions of Americans on the go choose to eat on the run, grabbing whatever might be handy. Eating is a daylong activity, and that person is never quite famished nor quite full.

Advantages: Evolution has shaped our tendency to snack during the day, said Thompson, who is herself a grazer. Homo sapiens were hunters and gatherers, eating whenever food presented itself. Our bodies work like well-oiled machines when there is a regular intake of food, burning energy and calories throughout the day.

Pitfalls: What we hunt and gather is not always healthful. The overabundance of food, which can lead to almost constant snacking, has led to a generation of overweight grazers, Thompson said. A drive-through calls to us from almost every corner, providing sustenance that is as fatty as it is easy to eat while driving.

The fix: Don't rely on nearby convenience stores for your food fix. Pack a plastic bag with baby carrots, trail mix or dried fruits, said Richter (also a grazer). Have a small bag of nuts or a peeled orange at hand. Celery, cherry tomatoes and apple slices are convenient and nutritious. Spend 10 minutes in the morning to prepare several small bags of your favorite healthy snacks, Richter said. Avoid the temptation to fill your drawer at work with your favorite candy because you will be unable to ignore the siren call of any food within reach.

Reach the reporter at (602) 444-8773.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:39
Registered Member

BF:

related article...

How Valley residents avoid the pitfalls of dieting

Mar. 16, 2004 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/health/fit...ypes16side.html

Valley residents share their weight-loss secrets

Marjorie Johnson, 39, of Goodyear, knew she had to eat foods lower in fat after gaining 32 pounds and reaching 172 between 1998 and 2000. She not only ate more healthful foods, but cut out nighttime snacks and began an exercise program. Johnson is down to 135 pounds, keeping the weight off in part because she does not get discouraged when she falls off the healthful-food wagon. "It is important to do things in moderation, including diet," Johnson said. "I still let myself have little treats that I consider part of my regular eating habits. This keeps me from getting carried away and makes it easier to stay on course."

Holly Robinson, 60, of Sedona, has found that eating several small meals per day while keeping a close eye on calories is the secret to maintaining her Size 4 shape. She's had to adjust over the years as her body's metabolism has slowed but has found a balance between eating and exercise. But counting calories doesn't mean she deprives herself. "The motivation of being able to eat what I want to is all it takes to keep me going," Robinson said. "How do I stay the course? Every day I eat what I want, which keeps the fun in food, and I take one day off each week for no exercise and no calorie counting."

Sharon Pittman, 67, of Apache Junction, is an Atkins devotee. Since July 7, she's lost 55 pounds and has gone from a Size 22 to a Size 12. The key has been Pittman's ability to stay on the diet when dining away from home. "When I go out to eat I quickly tell them, 'I am on Atkins so don't bring the potatoes or bread,' " Pittman said. "I sometimes substitute cottage cheese and sliced tomatoes for the potato. Every restaurant I have gone to has been very accommodating."

Ginny Mallia, 54, of Mesa, relies on exercise to conquer her weight problems. She works out six days a week at a gym, spending two of those days with a personal trainer. She's also changed her eating habits, consuming seven small meals a day and eliminating junk food. She's lost 55 pounds since July. "I keep a journal of all I eat so that also helps me to realize that I can get through the hunger and get back on track," Mallia said. "Before I just would have said I am going to eat junk and then feel like junk inside."
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 13:29

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

"Our bodies crave carbs, and for good reason, Thompson said. It's the best and fastest way to get the fuel we need, and carbs are essential for active people."

OK if we crave carbs because we need them, then why does the craving stop when you limit them?

You get thirsty (which is craving fluids) when you need water. If you don't drink any you will get thirstier and thirstier.

So if we're craving carbs because we need them....why don't the cravings get worse as you continue to avoid them?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: Zone first, now just lowcarb my own way
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 166cm
BF:
Progress:

Why, that is because, of course, your brain stops working because it gets no carbs, and thus you just no longer understand you need carbs because you went into zombie-mode! ... or something.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:35
Registered Member

BF:

Zombie-mode! Like in "Dawn of the Dead", only instead of craving brains...CARBS.

Brrrrrrr.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:40

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
"Our bodies crave carbs, and for good reason, Thompson said. It's the best and fastest way to get the fuel we need, and carbs are essential for active people."

Most people aren't active otherwise there wouldn't be a problem would there.

Quote:
So if we're craving carbs because we need them....why don't the cravings get worse as you continue to avoid them?

Well a craving is a different thing from thirst. Thirst is more like hungry. If you dont eat you will get hungrier and hungrier, until well...it stops. I don't think thirst ever stops until you get something to drink.

I do get cravings when I cut back on carbs, mostly for fruit. That's strange because I'm not a big fruit eater. Or I'll crave something smooth, sweet and creamy.

However I've never craved bread, or pasta, or rice or potatoes. Unless the waiter plunks down the bread basket in front of me. God help me then.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:16

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260

I've always wondered how 'experts' who say we must have carbs explain people like the Inuit and Masai. Low carb advocates love to use people like them as examples of survival on non-carb diets, but I can't recall ever reading a response from the high-carb crowd.

Has anyone ever read anything like that?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:52

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Why does no one ever express any doubts about the health effect of a long term low fat, low protein diet?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 17:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
Why does no one ever express any doubts about the health effect of a long term low fat, low protein diet?

Maybe because they spent milion of dollars promoting the LF diet? Maybe because they don't want to appear like they don't know it all? Maybe because they don't like having egg on their faces (pun intended).
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Maybe because they don't like having egg on their faces (pun intended).

I think they would have "egg beaters" on their face.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:49

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
I've always wondered how 'experts' who say we must have carbs explain people like the Inuit and Masai. Low carb advocates love to use people like them as examples of survival on non-carb diets, but I can't recall ever reading a response from the high-carb crowd.

Has anyone ever read anything like that?

Not only do the Inuit and the Masai survive on all meat-no carb diets, they are extemely healthy. In the early 1900's a harvard professor named Vilhjalmur Stefansson lived with and studied the Eskimos of North America. To his own dismay he noted that it was not only possible to live on only meat, but a person could be very healthy eating only meat. Me spent several years with the Eskimos. They ate mosty fish, but also ate seal, caribou, polar bear, and whatever else they could kill. He noted that the Eskimos had no heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes or tooth decay. While eating this diet himself, he noted how healthy he felt. So, the next time a naysayer says that we "need" carbs, or we "need" grains, ask them how the Eskimos have thrived for thousands of years eating nothing but protien and fat!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 04:21
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
Zombie-mode! Like in "Dawn of the Dead", only instead of craving brains...CARBS.

Brrrrrrr.

Eating brains is better for you though..nasty...but healthier
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 06:00

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest

That's a good point considering that they have had 20 years to evaluate the impact of a low-fat diet. If it was actually as good as they pretended it was, you would have seen a general improvement in the health of the population. We have seen the exact opposite. If they claim that's because people haven't been really following a low-fat diet, we that is a failure as well as it indicates it's not really sustainable.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinadal
Eating brains is better for you though..nasty...but healthier

And brains of animals have up to 10 times more cholesterol than any other part!

It's recommended that we limit our dietary cholesterol to 300 milligrams a day or fewer. How does that translate into what you eat? Here are some examples of food and their cholesterol contents:

3.5 ounces extra lean ground beef, 82 milligrams
3.5 ounce lean pork chop, 94 milligrams
3.5 ounces of chicken breast meat, no skin, 73 milligrams
3.5 ounces turkey, light meat only, 69 milligrams
3 ounces perch, 36 milligrams
6 medium oysters, 46 milligrams
12 large shrimp, 130 milligrams
1 large egg, 213 milligrams
3.5 ounces of liver, 400 milligrams
3.5 ounces of brains, 2,000 milligrams

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/fcs/heart/hhb7-1.html
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 07:52

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

That whole "limit your cholesterol" thing is old and tired now. Anyone who spouts it isn't into the latest research that showed restricting cholesterol showed it made the numbers go UP, in a bad way.