Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-17, 18:48
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Ketogenic Diet Reduces Midlife Mortality and Improves Memory in Aging Mice

Quote:
Highlights
  • •Feeding isoprotein ketogenic diet to mice every other week (Cyclic KD) avoids obesity
  • •Cyclic KD reduces midlife mortality with no change in maximum lifespan
  • •Cyclic KD prevents memory decline with modest other healthspan effects
  • •Gene expression of KD is similar to high-fat diet, except for activation of PPARα targets
Summary

Ketogenic diets recapitulate certain metabolic aspects of dietary restriction such as reliance on fatty acid metabolism and production of ketone bodies. We investigated whether an isoprotein ketogenic diet (KD) might, like dietary restriction, affect longevity and healthspan in C57BL/6 male mice. We find that Cyclic KD, KD alternated weekly with the Control diet to prevent obesity, reduces midlife mortality but does not affect maximum lifespan. A non-ketogenic high-fat diet (HF) fed similarly may have an intermediate effect on mortality. Cyclic KD improves memory performance in old age, while modestly improving composite healthspan measures. Gene expression analysis identifies downregulation of insulin, protein synthesis, and fatty acid synthesis pathways as mechanisms common to KD and HF. However, upregulation of PPARα target genes is unique to KD, consistent across tissues, and preserved in old age. In all, we show that a non-obesogenic ketogenic diet improves survival, memory, and healthspan in aging mice.

Full text: http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism...4131(17)30489-8

Last edited by RawNut : Tue, Sep-05-17 at 19:56.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 10:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

And you can have a body like Kim Kardashian

https://www.inquisitr.com/4479598/k...st-memory-life/

Quote:
Kim Kardashian and Melissa McCarthy are among the celebrity weight-loss winners who have turned ketogenic diets into an increasingly popular trend. With Kim losing 70 pounds and Melissa taking off 75 pounds, the two stars also have earned kudos for keeping off their weight.

Now, two new studies are showing that in addition to helping with weight loss, ketogenic diets boost memory and lifespan.

Kim Kardashian Makes Ketogenic Diet Famous
Kardashian’s name is so associated with the ketogenic diet that when the news broke of research showing benefits in addition to weight loss, the Essential Daily Briefing emphasized the celebrity connection. “[A ketogenic] very-low carb diet, favored by the likes of Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow, has the added bonus of improving memory, trials…have shown.”....

Kim Kardashian and Melissa McCarthy are among the celebrity weight-loss winners who have turned ketogenic diets into an increasingly popular trend. With Kim losing 70 pounds and Melissa taking off 75 pounds, the two stars also have earned kudos for keeping off their weight. Now, two new studies are showing that in addition to helping with weight loss, ketogenic diets boost memory and lifespan.

“[A ketogenic] very-low carb diet, favored by the likes of Kim Kardashian and Gwyneth Paltrow, has the added bonus of improving memory, trials…have shown.”
The two research projects revealed that following a ketogenic diet improves the odds that an animal lives to old age as well as boosting memory. Even though ketogenic diets are sometimes categorized as extreme weight-loss fads, scientists continue to uncover the additional benefits that occur in ketosis.

Kim Kardashian Goes Low-Carb
Kardashian has been candid about choosing a low-carb diet, opting for the Atkins weight-loss plan. The Bye Bye Belly blog noted that Kim keeps her carbohydrate consumption to less than 60 grams per day.

Each day, Kardashian eats a variety of protein such as fish and meat, healthy fats such as nuts and avocado, a variety of non-starchy vegetables, and a select amount of low-sugar fruit such as berries. Atkins nutritionist Linda O’Byrne explained the benefits of such low-carb diets.

“Low-carb diets hold blood sugar ranges steady and stop…cravings.”
Dr. Jeff Volek is known for researching the benefits of low-carbohydrate diets and writing about them. A professor at the University of Connecticut, Volek termed it an “epiphany” when he shifted his own food plan to a ketogenic diet.

“I modified to a ketogenic restrictive eating 20 years [ago],” said the creator of the Art And Science of Low-Carbohydrate Living. “I felt higher, extra satiated, and had extra constant power.”

Melissa McCarthy’s 75-Pound Weight Loss Diet Burns Fat For Fuel
Kim isn’t the only star who has succeeded with a ketogenic weight-loss plan. Celebrity Health & Fitness noted that Melissa McCarthy has been stunning fans on the red carpet after losing 75 pounds with a plan similar to Kardashian’s diet.

After once weighing more than 235 pounds, Melissa chose to skip the surgery route and go for old-fashioned diet and exercise. As a result, McCarthy now slips into a size 14. As for precisely how such diets work, obesity expert Dr. Eric Westman explained that the ketogenic plan induces the body to burn fat for fuel.

Although Melissa also exercised as part of her weight-loss plan, Dr. David Ludwig, a physician and nutrition professor at Harvard University, told Celebrity News that McCarthy’s low-carb diet was the key to her 75-pound weight loss. The physician also bluntly stated that the advice sometimes given to overweight people to cut down on their food intake and boost their exercise just does not work.

“‘Eat less, exercise more’ doesn’t work.”
In contrast, by cutting carbohydrates and boosting fats on a ketogenic diet, Ludwig said dieters can boost their weight loss while reducing their hunger. The expert also noted that these types of low-carb diets help maintain energy.

Kim Kardashian Talks 70-Pound Weight Loss
Chatting with People Magazine, Kardashian sounded a similar note as Ludwig when she talked about diet versus exercise. For Kim, a low-carb diet trumps exercise when it comes to what helped her lose an impressive 70 pounds.

“Dieting is so important to weight loss.”
Kardashian confessed that she used to think that by working out, she could “just eat whatever I want.” However, when she tried that approach, she discovered that “you have to work out all the time.” Consequently, Kim went with the Atkins 40 weight loss plan, eating an estimated 1,800 calories daily.

The Keeping Up With The Kardashians star’s low-carb diet emphasizes protein along with healthy fats and vegetables. Kardashian noted that the family eats “a lot of fish and turkey.”

Ketogenic Diets Improve Memory And Lifespan
Reporting on the two new independent studies that just showed ketogenic diets improve both lifespan and memory, Medical Xpress noted that these types of food plans are high in fat, while reducing carbohydrates and including some protein.

To test the long-term effects of ketogenic diets, researcher John Newman, MD, Ph.D., crafted three different diets. One normal diet consisted of high carbohydrates, one ketogenic diet had zero carbohydrates, and another diet was low in carbohydrates but not ketogenic.

The mice on the ketogenic diets had lower risks of dying, improved memory, and more of a desire to explore. Moreover, Newman noted that the benefits lasted.

“We were careful to have all of the mice eating a normal diet during the actual memory testing which suggests the effects of the ketogenic diet were lasting.”

It is amazing that an obscure researcher writes about mice, memory and longevity in an obscure Cell Metabolism journal, yet it ends up a story about celebrity weight loss. Three years ago the study would have been ignored.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Sep-12-17 at 12:25.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 10:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This -

Quote:
Kim Kardashian and Melissa McCarthy are among the celebrity weight-loss winners who have turned ketogenic diets into an increasingly popular trend. With Kim losing 70 pounds and Melissa taking off 75 pounds, the two stars also have earned kudos for keeping off their weight. Now, two new studies are showing that in addition to helping with weight loss, ketogenic diets boost memory and lifespan.

Despite what Kevin Hall will say about being able to sustain a LC approach . . . . .

I'm not a celebrity fan in the least, but if this is what it takes to make people take notice and start them down the path to good health, then I'm all for it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 10:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Haven't read this one yet--but one thing that pops out, mice that have gained a bit of fat one week on a more fattening diet (which includes a ketogenic diet, for these mice, and this diet) will under-eat low fat chow for a while, so this is an intermittent calorie restriction study as well as an intermittent ketogenic diet study.

Quote:
KD and HF have a dough-like texture that permits them to be placed in the food well of the cage-top wire lid, in the same manner as pellets. All custom diets were changed weekly for all cages; for cKD and cHF, the diet was switched at this time. Food intake was determined from food remaining in the cage-top. Minimal or no wastage was observed in the cage bottoms.

One thing Taubes wrote about in GCBC is food texture's effect on food intake by rodents. Hard, low fat pellets are less pleasant, can make the animal's mouths sore, adding more water or fat makes for a more pleasant eating experience. Sort of a flip-side for hedonic eating. Are they eating more fatty chow because it's more pleasing? Or less low fat chow because it's particularly unpleasant, only worth eating past a certain point out of necessity?

Also says Crisco changed their formula on them mid-study, shorter chain fats, so the fatty diets got mushier, they subbed some cocoa butter out for Crisco to get the right consistency. But did nothing towards matching consistency between the control diet and the fatty diets.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 10:55

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
if this is what it takes to make people take notice and start them down the path to good health, then I'm all for it.

I don't think it's so much that they're celebrities, it's simply the results that they've gotten. I'm far from a celebrity and when I lost my first 40 pounds nobody seemed to notice. Then, one day, a light switch seemed to go on (I apparently accumulated enough fat loss), and ever since people have been falling all over themselves to ask me what I've been doing. I remember being at a family party at the beginning of this summer and for the first time in my life I was sick of talking about how low carb had changed my life. And then at the next family party folks were eager to report back to me their own little experiment of life without sugar and/or bread.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 14:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Also interesting that the every other week ketogenic diet shows higher ketones than the steady-state ketogenic diet. Since the full ketogenic diet mice gained weight vs. controls but the intermittent mice didn't, maybe the every other weekers were more insulin sensitive, and that explains the difference in ketones.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-17, 18:38

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And you can have a body like Kim Kardashian

I would like to have a bank account like Kim Kardashian!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-17, 11:41
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Dr. Rhonda Patrick interviews researcher Dr. Eric Verdin:

"The most remarkable thing we saw is that these older mice on the ketogenic diet showed actually better memory than younger mice, and we did not see the loss of memory function that one would normally see associated with the aging process."

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/episodes/eric-verdin