Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2581   ^
Old Tue, Jan-09-07, 19:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/000/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 243%

I have not been co nsistent with exercise. This past year I have had several surgeries that prohibited my exercising for six weeks at a crack, and I never got back into the swing of things. When I get the clearance from this current surgery I intend to go back to the gym.

I hate that I have paid for a three year membership and in that time have used less than a year of visits, and am in year three already.

When I first started out at 280 all I could do at the time was walk, and I was pretty good about doing that about five times a week. I had a friend who walked with me.

My friend used to work at home as an editor, but now has returned to the workforce fulltime, so there went the walking buddy.

Exercise is one of my resolutions.
karen
Sponsored Links
  #2582   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-07, 20:12

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Well this thread has been dormant for a while. Anyone around?
  #2583   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 10:21

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi JAnn!
Yes, TOFF of course!!! It was nice seeing a familiar name yesterday.
Well, you know what I have been up to!
How are YOU doing?
  #2584   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 13:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/147.5/130 Female 5'1 1/2
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just came across this thread and it sounds interesting. I'm 50 and have been LC'ing since Jan 4th. I've lost 29 lbs thus far. I've started walking about 15 minutes a day. Hope to work up to 30 soon. Hope some others join the thread.
  #2585   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-07, 18:53

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%
Default Hi

Used to post on this thread, then sort of went on to other things.

Hi everybody, I've made some steady, if slow progress, but it's not too tough anymore, just like second nature. It sure helps to have just me and DH in the house, more control over what food comes in. DDs come home from college now and then, I tend to eat too much when they are here, will need when they are home in the summer.
  #2586   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 10:57

Hi everyone. DH and I went to Mexico yesterday for some dental work. I just can't get around Mexican food and LCing so I've decided not to try since we make so few trips down there.

Actually it wouldn't have been so bad except for the chips. I did have a Coke since someone told me the Coke down there tastes better because they use sugar instead of corn syrup. Didn't taste any different to me and since I don't care for sodas it was . Only had the one meal down there and a fruit flavored soda and the rest of the day I was good. Took some water and cheese but not across the border.

We're going back down Friday and then won't be going for a while. I've got to eat at a restaurant there where you sit out on the balcony ala Ernest Hemmingway style. I love it! Might even have a margarita this time!

Last edited by JAnn : Wed, Mar-28-07 at 07:36.
  #2587   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-07, 11:13

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi. I haven't posted here much so I still feel like a new comer. But I sure like this thread.
Quote:

It sure helps to have just me and DH in the house, more control over what food comes in. DDs come home from college now and then, I tend to eat too much when they are here, will need when they are home in the summer.
I know. I feel like I'm at such an advantage when it comes to not being tempted. The only thing I'm tempted in is eating too much. And lately that has sure been a problem. I could eat all day long and never get filled up I think. Some days are better than others. What foods do y'all find keep you satisfied the longest?
Quote:

I just can't get around Mexican food and LCing so I've decided not to try since we make so few trips down there.

I could eat my weight in chips and dip!! YUM!!
  #2588   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 06:38

Plan: low carb, portion control
Stats: 222/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:100%//33
Progress: 82%

Loooove your avatar- if that's you, no wonder you are always hungry, you are busy building muscle. (Me too, but not nearly as much as you).

I've always had a healthy appetite and some days I can eat nonstop- in my high low carb days it was b/c my body was always producing insulin, not sure what triggers a hunger jag these days...I am very careful to eat only protein during these times, sometimes I will have a rib or two of plain celery. I used fill the hunger with cheese- stalled me, so have cut way back on that.
  #2589   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Hi. I haven't posted here much so I still feel like a new comer. But I sure like this thread.
I know. I feel like I'm at such an advantage when it comes to not being tempted. The only thing I'm tempted in is eating too much. And lately that has sure been a problem. I could eat all day long and never get filled up I think. Some days are better than others. What foods do y'all find keep you satisfied the longest?
I could eat my weight in chips and dip!! YUM!!
The reason why your hungry is because you're eating too much protein and not enough fat. Drop your protein to under 100 grams per day and up your fat to above 100. See how you feel then.
  #2590   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 08:40

BF:

Hi Lisa and JAnn. Yesterday I dropped my carbs by half of what I've been eating, and raised my fat, doubled what I've been eating....(my calories and proteins were way too high) anyway, I lost 1.2 pounds, so I am changing my eating to go with lower carbs/ higher fats. I had increased my carbs because I thought I needed higher carbs, lower fats for my weight training project....but it's just not working for me. Hopefully what I have planned now will do the trick. Thanks!

Thank-you for the compliment on my avatar Lisa. That picture was taken in September.
  #2591   ^
Old Wed, Mar-28-07, 11:11

Quote:
I lost 1.2 pounds
I found them and a couple more. I don't suppose you want to take them back and the extra as well?

Good job on making the changes.
  #2592   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 06:02

BF:

Quote:

I found them and a couple more. I don't suppose you want to take them back and the extra as well?

No thank-you! I'm pleased to say, I weighed 141 this morning. I sure hope this is not just a fluke. Another dip in the scales just to give me hope and then dash my hopes with another increase. That does get so frustrating.

Unfortunately I also injured myself yesterday. I have a little arthritis in my right wrist...I put it into a bad position yesterday, and I can barely use it now. I'm having a terrible time even typing. I've been putting all kinds of pain creams on it, but so far they aren't helping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Another question I wanted to ask. Since we're all in the same situation here with aging skin. Does anyone have any certain products or home remedies they just love for their skin?
  #2593   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 09:09

Quote:
No thank-you! I'm pleased to say, I weighed 141 this morning. I sure hope this is not just a fluke. Another dip in the scales just to give me hope and then dash my hopes with another increase. That does get so frustrating.

Unfortunately I also injured myself yesterday. I have a little arthritis in my right wrist...I put it into a bad position yesterday, and I can barely use it now. I'm having a terrible time even typing. I've been putting all kinds of pain creams on it, but so far they aren't helping. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Another question I wanted to ask. Since we're all in the same situation here with aging skin. Does anyone have any certain products or home remedies they just love for their skin?
Congratulations on the loss. One day eating Mexican and I'm still up 2 pounds!

I don't know what to do for your wrist but I know there are nurses and at least one doctor on this forum. Perhaps they will have a suggestion.

I use Oil of Olay. That with good genes and drinking water helps me. The rest I am not going to worry about.
  #2594   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 09:16

The question I have is about finger nails and toe nails. I notice that my toe nails are starting to deform. I have noticed this in other older people. Is there anything I can do about it?
  #2595   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-07, 09:31

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

My nails are getting ridges and my doctor told me it is a sign of aging.
I did a search and I came out with the info that it is a mal-absorption of nutrients and in most cases it is low iron. I used to cook in cast iron everyday but this last year I used a Teflon pan so my daily supply of iron disappeared.
am now taking some multivitamins for 50 Plus and I will know in three month if those are enough.
Closed Thread