Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 295/251/195
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question attention runners

thank you for your time. I just wanted a good recomendation on running shoes. I am up to about 3 miles / 3 times a week. I weigh in around 260. I am not poor, but at the same time I really do not want to dump allot of money into sneakers. so.... any recomendations? Brand? Specific? once again thanks for your time!!!

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:16

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

mcavana -

I would never recommend a particular brand to anyone...everyone has a different gait and you need to go to a good running store and have them watch you walk and run. They'll be able to tell you what kind of shoe you need for your particular type of foot. This is very important!!! If you don't have properly fitted shoes, it can lead to serious knee and iliotibial band problems.

As for the money...I'd rather invest in a good pair of shoes than be sidelined by injuries and then have an inexpensive pair of sneakers I'm not even using.

JMO

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-02, 10:23

Plan: low salt
Stats: 207/236/160 Female 5'10"
BF:44.1%/33.86%/?
Progress: -62%
Lightbulb Shoes

Most doctors recommend New Balance shoes, but when I purchased my first pair of New Balance, boy did they hurt!

I realize everyone is different, but I have always been happy with Avia. I had replaced an old pair of Avias with the New Balance, but now I have replaced those with another pair of Avia Cross Trainers. I am not sure if Avia makes men's shoes, but I think they do.

Hope I could help,

Julie
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/165/165
BF:
Progress: 100%

I would definitely consult your local running store. I've also found Road Runner Sports to be very helpful. It definitely is worth spending good money on running shoes. Every time I've tried to get cheap, either the shoe breaks down or I do. Currently I'm using Asics Gel Kayano ($130). Very durable, very comfortable and with good motion control.