Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284.4/274/150 Female 5 "4
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default 100 % RDA do I take 1 or more?

Ok so today i bought my multivits... Ive read the back and each one contains...

Vit A
Vit D
Vit E
Vit C
Vit B1
Vit B2
Niacin
Vit B6
Folic Acid
Vit B12
Pantithenic Acid

All say 100% Recommended daily allowence

so do I take one? i read somewhere (I think the Atkins book ) I need three or four a day? - Can someone help please?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 09:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I wouldn't take more than one of a multivitamin. If there is one or more specifice vitamins that you feel you meed more of, then supplement with those.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 18:30

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Read the bottle

First, read the bottle. Somewhere on there it will tell you how many caps it takes to make those totals. Mine is two per day. YMMV.

Second, you may want to start reading on vitamins and supplements. Dr. A's Vitanutrient Solution is a very good place to start. The RDA is the barest minimum and some of us on this board take much higher amounts of SOME of them, but we do it with individual tablets and NOT by taking handfuls of multis. Many of the ingredients in a typical multi MUST NOT be taken at higher levels.

If you want to pursue this line of supplementation, you have to educate yourself.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-07, 19:19
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

I would not recommend it.

Some multi-vitamins are designed so that you take eight per day. They are properly balanced and contain safe and effective ingredients.

For example, look at the B vitamins in this formula:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Synergy...tamin-Version-4

Vitamin B1 (thiamine HCl) 50.00 mg 3,333%

Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) 10.00 mg 588%

Vitamin B3 (niacinamide) 70.00 mg 350%

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine HCl) 50.00 mg 2,500%

Folic Acid (as folacin) 1.00 mg (1,000.00 mcg) 250%

Vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) 500.00 mcg 8,333%

Biotin 3.00 mg (3,000 mcg) 999%

Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) 50.00 mg 500%

Note that some are 8,000% of the RDA while thers are only 350% of the RDA. This is not by accident. Note that they are not all 800% of the RDA.

YOu can probably get away with taking two per day -- but after that get a "mega" multivitamin that is designed for you take take multiple pills per day.

I did a lousy job of describing this (the others did much better) -- let me know if you have more questions.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 06:23

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default KEB, what are you not recommending?

I think you're telling the OP NOT to take "3 or 4 as per what (s)he read somewhere..."

Follow the instructions on the bottle.

If you want to take "more," educate yourself, buy "better" brands (which you won't find at the drugstore), and do more research. The people who post here regularly either take a LOT of supplements that we buy from places like lef.org and provitaminas.com and others, or are pretty up on getting nutrients from food (I think that's you, Dodger?).

The real kicker is that you don't want to be taking too much A or some of the metals (iron, selenium, others) that are at the bottom of the list on your brand, just to get more of the stuff you may want more of, like C and some of the Bs.

Many supplements are bulky--C and calcium come to mind right off. I wouldn't be able to swallow the pill if they came in one tablet with all that I want to take.

this is all probably more than you needed. Read the dose information on your bottle. Take the stuff you bought; note if it seemed to help, decide what you want to do the next time it's time to buy vitamins. Read this forum for a while and decide if we sound like we're saying anything useful to you.

It's all a matter of choices. I don't think anyone here is free of financial limits--I chose to spend my money on supplements and not on creams and plastic surgery and lots of personal care treatments. You may have other financial obligations that limit what you can spend on supplements. Some people have more time to give supplementation than I care to. For today, that's where I stand. May change tomorrow, who knows? If you've never taken vitamins regularly, then regular consumption of a decent multi- certainly won't hurt. You may not see the benefits some of us believe we get with our more elaborate programs, but that's the same outcome as any other topic.

Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-07, 07:04
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
I think you're telling the OP NOT to take "3 or 4 as per what (s)he read somewhere..."

Follow the instructions on the bottle.

If you want to take "more," educate yourself, buy "better" brands (which you won't find at the drugstore), and do more research.

I agree. They should go find a better brand / formula that has like six or eight (or more) per day.

But she has this bottle already in hand. If the directions say "take one per day" - she can probably take two per day -- finish the bottle in 15 days while she is looking for a better multi vitamin.

Sorry, I knew I did a bad job.