Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 05:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (modified)
Stats: 152/???/130 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default 1 more question on Flax seed oil

I've had constipation problems since starting LC and I read on this forum that flaxseed can help. So I went to the health shop and bought Flaxseed oil capsules (took them for two weeks but didn't help). Then I went and bought Flaxseed grains?? but I'm not sure how to use them, seems everyone uses them in shakes (but I don't use those they leave me hungry). Now I have the flaxseed oil as well but I've been struggling to swallow it..it makes me nauseous!!

question: anyone suggest how I can use the flaxseed oil in my meals (the label says I can't heat it up)?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 06:42

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hi Malindi!

Flaxseed oil will probably not help you against constipation, but it supplied Omega 3 oils, it's great for your liver and for your skin. You can use it to make vinaigrettes for your salads or add it to dips for your veggies, or you can add it to protein smoothies (though the fruit ones would have to wait until after Induction).

Flaxseeds will help you though, because they are high in unsoluble fiber so they help clean out the digestive tract. Are the ones you bought whole or ground? It's best to use them ground and it also best to toast them beforehand, otherwise you have to make sure you don't have more than 2 Tbsp per day because of a substance still present in untoasted seeds.

Personally, I grind mine in my food processor and then make flax crackers my mixing them with liquid, adding spices and then baking them in the oven at 275 for an hour and half. This is something a Fat Flusher came up with, and it works great I think, because flaxseeds are much more pleasant that way.

On The Fat Flush Plan we have a Tbps of flaxseeds (or 1 cracker) first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, with a glass of liquid (we use cranater, but you can use water) - it works great to "get you going" before breakfast

Also make sure you drink plenty of water, that will help too.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-12-04, 09:13
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks a lot Elisa...I'm off to make the crackers now and take them as of tomorrow morning.

I bought 1 packet of the seeds and 1 that looks ground but I'm not sure if it's complete (should it be as fine as wheat flour??). I can try and roast it then grind them myself. BTW what do you use to grind ( I read that some people use coffee grinder but I don't have one, anything else?). I'm still on Induction and the shakes don't work so well for me..I'll try putting the oil on the salad as a dressing.

Again..much appreciated.

Malindi
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 13:31

Plan: homeopathic HCG, loading
Stats: 246/230.5/154 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 17%

As long as the seeds have been cracked open, you'll get the benefits. If they are ground to fine, like flax meal, they tend to work the opposite way, if you get what I mean... not great.

I grind my brown ones in the belnder, but the golden ones get closer to meal in the blender so I just avoid then golden ones when they are not pre-ground.

For the crackers, the best is 1 cup of seeds and 1/2 cup of liquid, plus you can add any spices you want.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-13-04, 13:52
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Elisa,

Thanks for your help.

I actually tried to make the crackers today but they came out too dry. I think next time I will add a little cream or something.
The seeds are open so I thought i would just use them as they are.