Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 16:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 215/206/110
BF:
Progress: 9%
Question Back Strengthening Excercises?

I am looking for some back strengthening excercises and/or stretches that might ease my severe back pain. The pain is located mainly in my very lower back, seems like my tailbone? Anything that might help would be grandly appreciated.

Obviously, the main cause of my pain is my weight but I can't really get rid of that immediately. It would be nice to find something that would help in the meantime.

any ideas?

TIA
Carrie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 16:32

Plan: Curves for Women
Stats: 225/185/150
BF:
Progress: 53%

Personally I wouldn't do any back strength training exercises until I had my lower back checked by a doctor or chiropractor. You don't want to risk injuring something that may be out of place or inflamed.
Stretching shouldn't hurt anything as long as you don't overextend or bounce.
Some good stretches for your back are toe touching, laying on your back and pulling your knees up to your chest with your hands under your knees, sitting on the floor with one leg stretched out in front of you and one bent and reach toward your toes (switch legs after about 10 seconds). Also, you can keep one leg straight, the other bent (crossed over the opposite leg) and twist to the opposite direction looking over your shoulder. For example, if your left leg is straight and your right leg is bent crossed over the left, your left arm would go on your right knee. Your right arm would be behind you to support you while you twist.
I am sorry if these are hard to visualize. I can show it 100% better than I can explain it in words!
Hope this helps!