Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 01:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default I think this is hopeless.

3 weeks on induction now and not so much as an ounce in weightloss. I have checked, rechecked and double checked till I am dreaming about food counts and I am certain that I am eating as follows.

70 -80 grams protein...15-18 grams of carb and 90-100 grams fat.

I have been in ketosis since my last weigh in (as soon as I bought the strips).

I don't workout but neither am I sedentary. I am not sitting around, I walk everyday and I do 15 mins hand weights 3 or 4 times a week. I never eat processed meat, nor do I over salt my food. I drink 10 glasses of water a day.

I need to know whether you think there is much point in carrying on please.
Thankyou.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 01:50
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I should also mention that my digestive system is working well in all respects, in fact my occasional hiatus hernia problems are fine at the moment. I am not taking any medication. Oh and my calorie intake on a daily basis is between 1100 and 1300 a day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

First I'll say; don't give up! You'll find folks who stall, who lose at different rates...all kinds of things. The successful ones don't give up. It's a LONG process filled with stalls and plateaus. Keep going.

Second; can you list what you eat in a typical day? That might help.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:41
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Bkfst...25 grams mature cheddar cheese.

Mid morning...15mls double cream and coffee.

Lunch...2 egg omelette, 25 grms cheese, green salad, cherry tomato and 1 tblspoon mayo (sometimes 2 rashers of bacon, fried egg and 25 grms melted cheese.

Mid afternoon...15mls cream in coffee.

Dinner....4oz meat or fish, 1 tblspoon butter, 5 oz green veg

Snack...1 egg, 15mls cream, 1 tspn Splenda egg custard.
Sometimes if I am hungry I eat a tiny square of butter with ground almonds which contains only 0.5 grms carb.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 02:44
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I should have added that I don't like to eat too much meat. Sorry about these afterthoughts I am soooo p....d off I could weep.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:01
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Your diet seems great.

What is your height and age?

I would put away the scale for 6 more weeks and let your body get completely fat adapted before weighing yourself again. At that point, if you still haven't lost any weight I would try one of those "fat fasts" that Dr. Atkins mentioned in his books for particularly metabolically resistant people. And if even that doesn't work I would then try some IF starting with no snacking, followed by OMAD, followed by alternate day 36-48 hour fasts, until something works.

If none of that works, I might re-evaluate my goal weight expectations to make sure they are realistic. It's possible that you may be too metabolically damaged to reach your "ideal weight" and stay there. I still think however that this is a much healthier way of eating even if it doesn't lead to weight loss.

And lastly it may just be that the Atkins diet isn't right for you. But I don't think you're at that point yet. I would give it 6 months before trying something else.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:10
Registered Member

Stats: 167.3/162/125.6 Female 157cm
BF:
Progress: 13%

leicester, I'm a newbie so dont have all the answers but I would seriously recommend you eat proper food and incorporate the diet into real meals.
Cheese for breakfast? Why not have the omelette for bfast with a handful of sauteed spinach or a boiled egg or two? I found it was quicker to make an omelette than boil an egg..

Lunch looks good but perhaps you could instead have canned tuna or salmon with salad leaves and oil and vinegar dressing, or mayonnaise.

Dinner looks ok.

How about your portions? Are they too big? Or if you don't like meat (not do I - I eat fish and chicken)you might look at the vegetarian or pescatarion Atkins options.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:18

I'm going to have to agree with Cremorne, you don't seem to be following Atkins induction.

Have you read the book?

I THINK but don't remember that nuts aren't allowed on induction.

One issue is the meat thing; you should be eating mostly fat then protein, then carbs.

Check out the allowed induction food list and what Atkins says about what your meals should look like.

MEAT
Steaks • Corned beef • Lamb chops • Hamburger • Bacon • Any kind of meat in any quantity–except meat with fillers such as hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”

EGGS
Boiled • Fried • Scrambled • Poached • Omelet • Any style and with no limitations

FISH
All fish, including: Canned salmon • Tuna • Any kind of seafood including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, mussels, clams, scallops and pickled fish.

FOWL
Duckling • Turkey • Chicken • Anything with wings • No stuffing

CHEESE
Four ounces a day of any hard, aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

SALADS
Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful loosely packed) from: Celery • Chicory • Chinese Cabbage • Chives • Cucumber • Endive • Escarole • Fennel •
Lettuce • Olives (Green or Black) • Onions • Pickles (Sour or Dill) • Parsley • Peppers • Radishes • Scallions • Watercress

CONDIMENTS
Salt • Pepper • Mustard • Horseradish • Vinegar • Vanilla and other extracts • Artificial Sweeteners • Any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Salad Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies.

FATS (BUTTER & MAYONNAISE)
Butter • Margarine • Oils • Shortening • Lard • Mayonnaise
(Fats have no carbohydrates.)

HEAVY CREAM
Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk–so don’t use milk.)

DRINKS
Water • Mineral water • Vichy • Club soda • Beef or chicken broth • Bouillon • Sugar-free diet soda • Coffee • Tea • Decaffeinated coffee. Special note on caffeine and Diet Coke…should be limited to six servings (cups) per day. If….low blood sugar…limit it to three.

JUICE
Juice of one lemon or lime

NOTES
* Unlike later versions of Atkins, which subtracts fiber or sugar alcohols from the total carbohydrate counts, Atkins 1972 counts total carbohydrates, with no omissions for fiber or sugar alcohols.

Atkins, R. (1972). The revolutionary never-hungry no-limit steak-and-salad-plus diet. Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution. (pp. 136-138). New York: Bantam Books.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:25
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thanks all of you for your interest. I am 5ft 3 ins tall and aged 69. Never had these problems in my life. I have 2 stone to lose and I have to get it off as diabetes runs rampant through my family, although some are type 1 and the type 2's were not overweight.
Thanks for the suggestions to ring the changes. I very rarely eat anything but good proper food and never have.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted. What is OMAD please.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:34
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Sorry our messages crossed and I didn't see rpavich's post. I have read the book and totally thought I was having the correct foods. I know nuts aren't allowed but it is a teeny tiny amount of only 0.5 grms of carb. ! Really ? would that cause no weight loss for 3 weeks, especially when I am lower than 20 grams of carb a day anyway. I don't know why you say I am not doing Atkins. I have read extensively and I am rigidly careful with portion size. Please tell me what is wrong with my eating. I know there are personal preferences but if should be a little flexible as long as you stick to the rules. No?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Sorry our messages crossed and I didn't see rpavich's post. I have read the book and totally thought I was having the correct foods. I know nuts aren't allowed but it is a teeny tiny amount of only 0.5 grms of carb. ! Really ? would that cause no weight loss for 3 weeks, especially when I am lower than 20 grams of carb a day anyway. I don't know why you say I am not doing Atkins. I have read extensively and I am rigidly careful with portion size. Please tell me what is wrong with my eating. I know there are personal preferences but if should be a little flexible as long as you stick to the rules. No?

Sure, it's flexible but sometimes folks are just different. I know that If I eat nuts I don't lose. The more I push the boundaries the less effective the diet is.

Where is your fat coming from, I don't see it? I don't see much butter there or lard at all. (except for the one bit at dinner and the bacon is good but better is actual uncured meat.)

Also not eating or liking meat is a bit of an issue in my opinion.

Keep with it and keep trying to figure out what's wrong in the mean time. In the end, you will figure it out.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:53
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

70 -80 grams protein...15 -18 grms carb and 100 grms fat from cheese, mayo, eggs and butter. Do you think I should be adding more fat? I will stop the teeny tiny bit of nuts though if you think it will help. I am not as confident as you about figuring out I'm afraid as I really am nonplussed when you say you can't see the fat in my diet. I feel I have nowhere to go.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:54
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremorne
leicester, I'm a newbie so dont have all the answers but I would seriously recommend you eat proper food and incorporate the diet into real meals.
Cheese for breakfast? Why not have the omelette for bfast with a handful of sauteed spinach or a boiled egg or two? I found it was quicker to make an omelette than boil an egg..

Lunch looks good but perhaps you could instead have canned tuna or salmon with salad leaves and oil and vinegar dressing, or mayonnaise.

Dinner looks ok.

How about your portions? Are they too big? Or if you don't like meat (not do I - I eat fish and chicken)you might look at the vegetarian or pescatarion Atkins options.

What on earth is wrong with cheese for breakfast? And everything on her menu looks pretty real to me.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich
I'm going to have to agree with Cremorne, you don't seem to be following Atkins induction.

Have you read the book?

I THINK but don't remember that nuts aren't allowed on induction.

One issue is the meat thing; you should be eating mostly fat then protein, then carbs.

Check out the allowed induction food list and what Atkins says about what your meals should look like.

MEAT
Steaks • Corned beef • Lamb chops • Hamburger • Bacon • Any kind of meat in any quantity–except meat with fillers such as hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”

EGGS
Boiled • Fried • Scrambled • Poached • Omelet • Any style and with no limitations

FISH
All fish, including: Canned salmon • Tuna • Any kind of seafood including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, mussels, clams, scallops and pickled fish.

FOWL
Duckling • Turkey • Chicken • Anything with wings • No stuffing

CHEESE
Four ounces a day of any hard, aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.

SALADS
Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful loosely packed) from: Celery • Chicory • Chinese Cabbage • Chives • Cucumber • Endive • Escarole • Fennel •
Lettuce • Olives (Green or Black) • Onions • Pickles (Sour or Dill) • Parsley • Peppers • Radishes • Scallions • Watercress

CONDIMENTS
Salt • Pepper • Mustard • Horseradish • Vinegar • Vanilla and other extracts • Artificial Sweeteners • Any dry powdered spice that contains no sugar
Salad Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies.

FATS (BUTTER & MAYONNAISE)
Butter • Margarine • Oils • Shortening • Lard • Mayonnaise
(Fats have no carbohydrates.)

HEAVY CREAM
Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk–so don’t use milk.)

DRINKS
Water • Mineral water • Vichy • Club soda • Beef or chicken broth • Bouillon • Sugar-free diet soda • Coffee • Tea • Decaffeinated coffee. Special note on caffeine and Diet Coke…should be limited to six servings (cups) per day. If….low blood sugar…limit it to three.

JUICE
Juice of one lemon or lime

NOTES
* Unlike later versions of Atkins, which subtracts fiber or sugar alcohols from the total carbohydrate counts, Atkins 1972 counts total carbohydrates, with no omissions for fiber or sugar alcohols.

Atkins, R. (1972). The revolutionary never-hungry no-limit steak-and-salad-plus diet. Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution. (pp. 136-138). New York: Bantam Books.

I've read the book and she's following Atkins induction pretty closely. Am I reading a different menu than you? Because I don't see where she's deviating from this list.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-18, 03:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Great sigh of relief. I was going quietly bonkers here.