Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 11:54

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 200/201/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -2%
Default Puzzled

I guess this belongs in the low carb war zone area I just have a question,

A dear friend of mine who is slim and active but not overly active (she's doesn't go to the gym but she does walk alot and she takes dance classes
like 4 times a week) but when I look in her kitchen it's mostly carbs.
She eats hardly any protein mostly fish and eggs but her fridge has low fat milk, full fat greek yogurt, berries, broccoli, lettuce,tomates,apricots, I noticed she eats ground flaxseeds as well.

She eats whole grain bread with real butter ( I noticed the only low fat thing was the milk) steel cut oats. Anyway, thats about all I could see until she wondered what was taking me so long to get a drink of water!
How can she eat like this and still be thin? Oh, and she drinks wine almost
everynight too! When I ask her she says its thats shes active but there I go to the gym 3 times a weeks and take classes that make sweat and I'm keeping my carbs low but I feel like I'm missing something here.

Anyone have any answers for me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 12:58

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.

We are not all the same.

amanda
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 13:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes.

We are not all the same.

amanda

I guess that must be but, I wonder if I could lose weight eating her way.
Oh, and she eats wild and brown rice too as well as rice pasta. It seems healthy I mean she drinks tons of water and most of the fruit she eats is
the lower sugar/carb and she has soup with dinner everynight without fail.

I had dinner with her last night and it was roast chicken, steamed broccoli
cauliflower, and carrots (which I picked out) and roasted sweet potato ( a passed on as well) and we started with chicken rice soup ( I did my best, it was hard it smelled really good!).
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 13:56

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

Her food sounds an awful lot like a maintenance diet for a person who does not have a broken metabolism. You may get to the point in Atkins maintenance where you can eat very similar quantities and types of foods.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 21:37

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 300/205/175 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

My good friend eats nothing but carbs! She seriously eats a pan of brownies a day and she even gets up in the middle of the night to eat. She eats cookies and m&m's for breakfast! Ding dongs, hostess cupcakes, swiss cake rolls, etc. She eats it all.

She is slim and trim. How is that even fair?

Do I think she is healthy? NOPE! Having to get up in the middle of the night to eat tells me there is something wrong!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 21:55

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

Yes, the thing about people who get fat is that they have a genetic "defect"-- their insulin production is way out of whack. In reading all this low carb stuff (Taubes et al.,) what comes across is that some people are lucky-- they never have problems with weight, no matter what they eat.

It is actually a kind of leap to say "oh, so I am not the "normal" one." Something has gone wrong with your fat storage mechanism. This defect either has, or will become diabetes. The sad thing is that apparently more of the population has this genetic defect now. It is not just "sugar" but it is the specific person's reaction to sugar. We're not all "cookie cutter" similar. Some of us can take more sugar than others.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 22:06
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I'm with Faduckeggs...

Sounds like someone who presently has an intact metabolism and normal insulin production and response.

She's lucky and it sounds a little like you're envious. don't be. Luckily there is a way for you to eat that can keep you healthy. Embrace it.

I will say this. If she is intaking very little protein and she doesn't do any weight trainng, I can bet your bottom dollar she has the "skinny fat" syndrome. Not a good look (maybe in your clothes) and definitely not healthy.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 22:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/212/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

Not everyone can eat the same because we don't all have the same metabolism or body chemistry. Some people can drink alcohol and never have addiction issues and others have to stay away from it if they don't want problems.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-23-11, 22:46
Wag more, bark less.

Plan: Meat.
Stats: 216/149/145 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

My (adoptive) Mom has been slender her whole life. She's a total carb addict -- she can eat cake and ice cream and not put on a pound. She's also been a diabetic with high blood pressure since her mid-thirties, has had awful arthritis, irritable bowel syndrome, and GERD. Ten years ago she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure and has been on various medicines, including beta blockers, since then.

In other words, she's collected the whole set of the Diseases of Civilization, minus obesity. I understand why you're asking this -- heaven knows I used to ask myself that all the time -- but now I know: Skinny isn't the whole picture; not by a long shot.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 06:48

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I know, I know...I feel the pain of the collective when we look at these slender, seemingly fit people who can eat whatever the heck they like! Yarg!

My dad has very successfully lost weight and kept it off with Weight Watchers...loves the recipes, never feels hungry or deprived. I'm delighted for him. For me, I was always starving with Weight Watchers, and OBESSESSED with food points. (really, I got weird!) Low carb is the ONLY thing that has ever helped me lose weight, and even with this way of eating, the weight loss is slow. (but it is happening!)
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 06:58

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Your friend's diet doesn't sound all that bad really, almost sounds like south beach type foods and many on lc maintenance can eat many of those in correct portions.

I have some very thin friends and family who eat whatever they want and stay slim. It's frustrating to see, but my father in law was never overweight and died from complications from heart disease and diabetes. He was only 59, so like the other poster mentioned, being skinny isn't the whole story.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 07:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I'm with Faduckeggs...

Sounds like someone who presently has an intact metabolism and normal insulin production and response.

She's lucky and it sounds a little like you're envious. don't be. Luckily there is a way for you to eat that can keep you healthy. Embrace it.

I will say this. If she is intaking very little protein and she doesn't do any weight trainng, I can bet your bottom dollar she has the "skinny fat" syndrome. Not a good look (maybe in your clothes) and definitely not healthy.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

Is it that obvious? Yes, I guess I am. I know as I move thru the levels of OWL I will
Be able to reintroduce foods back in in due time.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 07:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Your friend's diet doesn't sound all that bad really, almost sounds like south beach type foods and many on lc maintenance can eat many of those in correct portions.

I have some very thin friends and family who eat whatever they want and stay slim. It's frustrating to see, but my father in law was never overweight and died from complications from heart disease and diabetes. He was only 59, so like the other poster mentioned, being skinny isn't the whole story.

Thats what I was noticing, LAWoman she's not eating tons of chocolate or potato chips. She does eat popcorn though she has an air popper and puts
flax seed oil on it.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-24-11, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can't always judge a book by its cover. The skinny-fat walk amongst us, believing themselves to be thin, but their fat is around their internal organs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6220596.stm
Quote:
"Someone can look really thin and have a normal BMI but have seven litres of fat inside them when they should ideally only have one litre."

There are people who seem resistant to the ill effects of a high carb, high fructose diet, but they're a minority. Usually by the time you hit your mid-thirties or early forties your metabolism will be starting to show signs of breaking down.

Now that I'm in my 50's I see all my formerly skinny friends are getting fat and sick. They really have no clue why and just chalk it up to old age.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-25-11, 11:41

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The skinny-fat walk amongst us, believing themselves to be thin, but their fat is around their internal organs.

"The skinny-fat walk amongst us!"

It sounds like the trailer for a horror film!