Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:05
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Myoplex Shakes - healthy?????

Being the obsessive label reader that I am, I couldn't resist reading the ingredients on Bill Phillip's Myoplex shakes when I was at the HFS.

Considering he thinks saturated fats are "evil" (his words), imagine my surprise when I saw partially hydrogenated canola oil and aspartame in the list of ingredients. The term "healthy" is obviously very subjective.

Wanda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 14:21

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Hello, I think you learned a lesson by reading Myoplex labels. Funny how those marketing foods can compromise the value of those foods.

Makes you want to look at the BFL "train to failure" philosophy as well, doesn't it?? Just a thought... Or, at least I believe its still that method of training.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:13

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Wanda, EAS really isn't Bill's baby anymore. Hasn't been for years - he sold the company before they started selling things like ECA stacks.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:42

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

Thanks for that info, Nat...makes me feel a little better about him then. When I read the book, it was a little depressing to see how hard he was pushing Myoplex. I read the ingredients online and said, no thanks. Overpriced protein junkfood in my not-so-humble opinion. I found another whey protein supplement by visiting NOW's website that seems much better for me. I forget which one now, but it has 7 g carbs per serving and is sweetened with Stevia. The one I bought at the HF store has 12 g carbs. NOW has no artificial or hydrogenated goop.

badgoat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:52
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

I use Myoplex. I looked at the ingredients before buying and decided that I'd make a small trade off just for the sake of convenience. When eating 6 times a day, it's nice to have something convenient.

But I knew even before looking at the ingredients that anything that has been reduced to a dry powder isn't going to be as good for me as eating real food. But I'll make that compromise.

Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 15:54
Contributing Member

Hi Badgoat,

What's the URL for NOW's website. I'd like to take a look at it.

Thanks,
Arnie
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 16:02
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thanks, Nat, I didn't realize that either. Like Goatlady, I was influenced by what he wrote in his book. Good to know that he isn't involved anymore. It bothered me back in March when I saw Atkins LC muffins made with hydrogenated fats. LOL, Wanda the nutrition Police.

Goatlady, I ended up finding a protein powder sweetened with stevia as well. It must be getting more popular. Absolute Whey Protein by interACTIVE. Nothing artificial and it uses cocoa for the chocolate flavoring.

I'm not up on protein powder so if anyone can tell me if this is good, it says ultrafiltered and cross flow Microfiltered Whey Protein. Does that mean it's purified to get rid of lactose and it gets absorbed quicker? Just a stab.

Thanks,
Wanda

--edit--
Arnie, here's their site: http://www.nowfoods.com/?cat_id=855 - the powders that aren't LC have fructose in them, just so you know.

Last edited by wcollier : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 16:06.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 18:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
I'm not up on protein powder so if anyone can tell me if this is good, it says ultrafiltered and cross flow Microfiltered Whey Protein. Does that mean it's purified to get rid of lactose and it gets absorbed quicker? Just a stab.

Yep, that's part of it, Wanda

Whey protein can be either "Protein concentrate" or "Protein Isolate". WPC will be 70-80% protein whereas WPI will be 90-96^ protein. PWC however, has some added advantages: it contains higher levels of growth factors, phosphor lipids, immunoglobulins and lactoferrin, which can have positive effect on immunity and intestinal health. WPI, on the other hand, will have very low lactose levels and virtually no fat.

WPI can be filtered two ways, ion exchange or micro filtered. Ion exchange is made by taking a concentrate and running it through an ion exchange column to get ion exchange whey isolate. This produces a protein that has the highest percentage of protein of all the isolates but lacks the health beneficial compounds found in a whey protein concentrate. The microfiltration/ultrafiltration process for the production of WPI is a pressure driven membrane filtration process which consists of two "molecular sieves"; in each step differing components are removed and/or concentrated to achieve the desired end product. Micro filtered WP gets the best of both worlds; it contains the high levels of protein, low lactose and fat levels found in ion exchange but retains the sub fractions that have potential health benefits found in concentrates.

All whey proteins that are hydrolyzed are 'the fastest absorbing', btw.

Sounds like you got the best one, Wanda!

Nat

ETA: BFLers had the same reaction you're having now when EAS started selling ephedrine based supplements - especially when Bill had been so vocal about being against them.

Last edited by Natrushka : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 18:11.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 18:37
Mad Scientist

BF:

Thank you very much Nat. That's very thorough information. You'll be happy when I'm over my learning curve.

Quote:
All whey proteins that are hydrolyzed are 'the fastest absorbing', btw.

Well that works out perfect. I have another unsweetened Whey by the same company and it uses a blend of WPC, HWP and WPI. This is the one I'll probably use post workout with a mix of dextrose (which I found today).

Quote:
ETA: BFLers had the same reaction you're having now when EAS started selling ephedrine based supplements - especially when Bill had been so vocal about being against them.

I guess he didn't know the company would make these changes? It must look bad on him for the unenlightened person such as myself. Good thing there are people around to set us straight.

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 19:05

Plan: Restarted LC 8/23/06
Stats: 254/208/175 Female 5'8"
BF: Moo
Progress: 58%

Amen to that, Wanda!

Like most things though, I've learned to take what I need and filter out the rest.

Arnie, here's what I bought. It's not arrived yet, but the one I'm using now tastes fine. http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=ite...db65f28dd5b88ce

Vitaglo.com has it for several dollars cheaper, too.

badgoat
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 20:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I bought a single serving trial packet of the powdered Mysoplex, and a 6 pack of the ready made. Both low carbs, the ready made lower carb (and protien) then the powder.

I really liked the powder. It was a thick shake, but not sludge like Atkins. It is also the only thing that can really hide the flavor of creatine.

I have a ton of different types of shake mixes I mix and match. The only one I ofund that is no fat, almost no carb (1g), and very high protien is Super-red and Super-blue soy. Unfortunetly they are also the worst tasting shakes :P

I will mix whey and soy and maybe add in some egg protien, but I think I've been over doing the after workout protien and will probably just stick to one type at a time or use half scoops.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 11:55
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I was choosing what ready made shake to take with me to the gym today because I knew I wouldn't have time to make my own or get back home today.

After reading this post, I decieded to look through the ingredients on Mysoplex. Dextrose stood out, along with a few others that made me wince.

I grabbed an ULTRA pure protien instead. I was a little leery because it comes in a can, and usually canned shakes have a metalic taste to me. It's caramel cream flavour and it tastes amazing, especially when you take some and mix it in coffee.

Ingredients. Water, Protien Blend (Calcium Caseinate, Milk Protien Concentrate, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Trcalcium Phosphate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Soybean Oil, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Sucralose , Acesulfame Potassium, Carrageenan. (Is Carrageenan a sweetner?)

It doesn't have all the added vitamins and minerals of the Mysoplex or a few others though.

Calories: 160
Fat: 1g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 150mg
Potassium 240mg
Carbs: 2
Fiber: 0
Protien 35g

Calcium: 100%
Iron: 2%
Phosphorus: 70%
Magnesium: 8%
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 17:31
Contributing Member

So, if you wanted to make your own meal replacement what would you use for carbs? Of course a couple scoups of protein powder would work for the protein, but what could one use to get about 20 grams of powdered carbs? Preferably a complex carb. Could oatmeal be powdered somehow, maybe in a coffee grinder?

Or do you think this is a silly idea?

Arnie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:29
Contributing Member

Nevermind, I'll answer my own question.

Yes Arnie, it is a silly idea.

Arnie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 18:59
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Well I supose the purest carb would be to dump some sugar in, it's powdered ;p

There are diabetic sweetners out there made from fructose and so on, maybe get one of those? What I like doing is dumping a few strawberries or raspberries in with the shake.