Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 05:42
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default 8 seconds key to weight loss

I did a search for this article in case it had already been reported but didn't find it. Feel free to move/delete this if it's a double

8 seconds key to weight loss

By Clare Masters

Daily Telegraph

A REVOLUTION in weight loss is about to hit Sydney after scientists devised a workout that burns three times the amount of fat.

They found their specific brand of interval training prompts the body to click into a metabolic response that allows more fat to be burned under the skin and within the muscles.

Researchers at the University of NSW and the Garvan Institute studied 45 overweight women over 15 weeks, putting them through a 20 minute cycling regime in which they sprinted on a stationary bike for eight seconds followed by 12 seconds of cycling lightly.

"They lost three times more weight as other women who exercised at a continuous, regular pace for 40 minutes," UNSW Associate Professor Steve Boutcher said.

Their success was due to higher amounts of chemical compounds called catecholamines that are produced in increasing amounts when linked to interval sprinting; the resulting chemical reaction drives greater weight loss.

The scientists believe the regime would also be applicable to swimming, walking, running and rowing.

Professor Boutcher said other types of interval training use longer interludes which are not as effective for overweight people and said the current government recommendations for exercise are largely ineffectual.

"Walking for 60 minutes, seven times a week does not result in much fat loss, usually 1.15kg over 15 weeks – for a lot of overweight people this is going to be a revolution," he said.

The scientists found their method could "spot reduce" troublesome areas such as legs and buttocks.

The system will be useful to diabetics, as "insulin resistance was dragged down by about 32 per cent".

The findings were welcomed by Bondi local Kim Broderick, 21.

"I try to run or walk but if this system works better it's great."

The scientists are now ready for the next phase of the study which controls food and exercise plans.

"We hope to find even more loss in fat," Professor Boutcher said.

The trial will put participants through the interval training while placing them on a Mediterranean diet of fresh food as well as daily fish oil capsules, which helps burn fat more efficiently.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 07:06

Plan: semi-low carb
Stats: 127/127/114 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default thanks for posting

Very interesting article.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 07:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Sounds good to me. Thanks for posting this.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 08:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/159/145 Female 5 feet five inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

I just tried this, I found I felt great after the workout, and the time flew by, deffinetly did not feel like 20 min.
Thanks for the info.

Take care
Astrid
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

It's the same as the Laval U study of 10 years ago. Short bursts of very intense exercise stimulates Growth Hormone secretion. GH has a steroid-like effect. Slow, steady exercise burns fat almost exclusively but walking at a 20:00 pace means it will take you over 10 hours to burn one pound of fat.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-07, 11:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

An interesting article, thanks for posting