Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 18:15

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%
Default Calculating Maintenance Calories/Tdee/BMR

I weigh 260 pounds according to a certain scale and 250 according to another, I am gonna say I weigh 260 to be safe haha. my bf% is roughly 29-30% height is 6'-6'1"-ish

The only activity currently is cardio and lifting. Lift M-W-F, cardio Tues.-Thurs-Sat. other than that I am sedentary as it gets, I work in computer graphics so go figure haha. I've read that most methods of calculating your maintenance calories often are misleading if you are extremely muscular or extrmely overweight. I happen to be extremely overweight.

the quick method is, from what I gather

12-13 x bodyweight=fat loss
15-16 x bodweight=Maintenance
17-19 x bodyweight=gain

the quick method puts my calories at 3120 for fat loss, sounds a lil off to me.

the more "in depth way" the The Harris-Benedict formula is:

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

so according to that my maintenance calories are 1987 or there abouts, huge difference.

so then theres the Katch-McArdle formula

BMR (men and women) = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

that lands me at 2314

so I have these numbers

I read that anything below 1800 for a male is unhealthy, and anyhting under 10x your bodyweight is also not beneficial...so now I am confused

if 3120 is my maintenance, I debit htat 20% and I get 2496
if 1987 is it, I debit that 20% and I get 1500 something
if 2314 is it, that puts me around 1800

2314, 1500, and 1800 are huge differences. Assuming I followed anyone of these isocaloric wise I'd be getting at least 50g under my protien requirements, or does that not matter? man this is a long post hahaha. Any help would be grrrrrreat haha

I am leaning towards the 2314 debited 20%, maybe a 50/50 split between calorie reduciton and cardio. that would put me at that oh so low 1800 and that doesnt seem right.

EDIT: ok my head is apperantly up my ass and its interfering with brain function....the BMR is too kepp your body alive, basic functions.....so going below that not good....I didnt realize there was ad ifference between BMR and TDEE. hmmm

so I am, for my lifestyle supposed to multiply my BMR x 1.375 and that puts me back around 3000 calories...haha I cant beleive that I just cant believe that...if I want to lose 2 pounds a week, I need a 7000 calorie deficit, thats about 20 minutes of excersie a day and 2500 calories, which kinda sounds right doesnt it? Sorry to do this, I need a record of my process of thought so I can see it flaws haha. I was just hoping to get away from the excersise everyday honestly haha. damnit

Last edited by Beaver : Sat, Oct-05-02 at 18:36.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 10:28

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

I read something from Lyle where he said to find the point where you lose and use that. That could be as low as 8x, 9x, whatever. Or 12x, depending on an infinite array of factors that can't be figured out imo. The very experienced trainer I work with told me to swag it at about 2kcal/day and don't obsess, don't weigh or measure for a couple of months. Just keep pounding the workouts and eating right. Sounds like a similar story.
Maybe it's really just too dang simple for guys like us.
I've done all the same calcs and come up with the same spread. I eat a little more on lifting days, a little less on cardio days, less still on rest days. I'm just not that hungry anyway. If you are then eat, right?
You and I are doing roughly the same training schedule and you're a little taller and heavier than me so our numbers are about the same. If we are going pretty hard at it the fat will come down.
Are you tracking your lifts? Getting stronger? Feeling better? Then it's gotta work? At least that's what I keep telling myself.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-06-02, 12:03

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I feel much much stronger. I actually have everydays food/calorie totals and ratios tored in a computer program along with my weight, and a black and white notebook filled with how manyreps and what weight I did along with measurements and weight every 2 weeks. I dont wanna trick myself haha...I used to lift with no set goal so I would put on 135 145 pounds say for flat bench and just lift....I never really went higher. Just went through the motions. NOw that I started the HST stuff I am doing 225-235 around 4 times clean for my reps. I dont know if I could lift that weight before and just never tried...or got stronger you know? I hate realizing I've been living in dreamland with some of this stuff, so eager to beleive that certain things are true.

I lost concistently on CKD while eating around 2000 I think....butt hat doesnt sound right. I always thought you should eat to maintain your LBM. Say mine is 180...or a goal weight 210 pounds would be great for me...I thought it made sense to say ok....210 x 10=2100 debited 20% = around 1700