Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 02:30
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy Oh dear, oh dear!

What a miserable day I have had!
I worked an evening shift yesterday; my first full shift since I hurt my back several months ago. My back seemed (and probably is) so much better that I thought I could handle a full ICU shift.
So when I woke this morning with one very sore back, I was not only sore but very disappointed. Then my stupid scales refused to tell me anything good and so the pity party was on.
Chocolate!!!
My dearly beloved brought me home a 75g choccie bar when we were only 2 or 3 days into this WOE.
"You've been so good you deserve it - anyway one little chocolate won't hurt you."
Men!
Or this man, anyway.
He acted so hurt and offended when I tried to toss it, that I cast it into the back of the freezer.
I discovered today that chocolate thaws really well in the microwave. Such a pity that I didn't toss it the next day; I should also have tossed the cooking chocolate that was still in the fridge...
Well I did toss the last ½ packet of the cooking stuff. (Only a desperate chocoholic hoes into the cooking chocolate - kinda like an alcoholic and the cooking sherry.)
Meanwhile I am disgusted with myself. Two weeks and I've already fallen off the wagon.
Deep sigh.
I guess I'll take Scarlett's advice. Tomorrow is another day.
(I know she said something like that, don't remember the exact words.)

Rosebud
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 07:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Oh my you poor thing

Been there done that. It's not bad frozen. Can't keep the stuff in the house either. I had to giggle, I could see myself doing the same thing. I have to buy things I don't eat at Halloween. Had a bad night myself last night. Pnb sandwich, and a big glass of milk. The scales laught at me today, it was enough to put me back on track. I trust that you will get yourself right back on track too I am going to. Nice to meet you Jo-Ann
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 11:09

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

learning to forgive ourselves for lapses is a great skill to learn...I think we think such "easiness" will lead us to more lapses...but it doesn't! It shortens them up and helps us be more rational about them: "okay, what can I learn from this?" So give yourself a hug, and go forward.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 11:29

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 245/245/165
BF:
Progress:

I find that when I am stressing out about classes and money, my hand seems to automatically reach for chocolate. But I am slowly learning the triggers to this. We have a neat little veggie store just across the street, so I am going to go over and start buying the veggies both members of this household likes to eat and try that.

I need to really re-kickstart this process.

but reading these posts have been a real encouragement to me. It has made me focus on getting back on track.

Penny
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atk
Stats: 394/341/250 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Lost that love and feeling....

I so KNOW that feeling... let me see with my partner's birthday yesterday.. and marble cake and that wonderful creme frosting... ugh... yummy....
Oh Mr Scale 2 pounds for 1 piece of cake??? No fair!!! But, alas I know the feeling so well. But, today is a new day and a better day for me... So, let's get up and get back on the wagon instead of dragging our heels behind.

S.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 14:49

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

I can understand !!!

I have absolutely nothing sweet in my house!! It would haunt me until I ate it!!

I even buy my occasional Jello one box at a time!! (So I won't be tempted to make it again right away!)

I haven't been feeling well the last week. Normally I would have eaten bagels with peanut butter or something so I've had to stand firm to get through this without sliding backwards!!

Just jump back into induction!! You may not even have to do 2 full weeks to get back into ketosis!!
Good Luck!!
Ellie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 17:57
Forum Moderator

BF:
Cool

Thank you, Jo-Ann, Razzle, Paddington, Saliena and EllieEats!
I didn't dare weigh myself this morning; there are some things that it is just best not to know!
Yesterday was the end of my first 2 weeks, but I had been planning to stay a bit longer in Induction anyway. So I think I'll give myself at least another week.
My first "outside" temptation will come this weekend. We are spending the day with family and who knows what will be on offer. Lunch will be a barbecue, easy - steak and salad, but there will almost certainly be desserts luring me with their siren calls.
I haven't yet made any LC dessertish things, being still on Induction, but I think if I take something worth 4 or 5 carbs a slice it will beat caving and eating something thoroughly wicked. Again.
Planning ahead, I guess, is the best way to cope when there is a possibility of temptation.

Rosebud
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-18-02, 16:02

Stats: 160/155/125
BF:
Progress:

Hey Rosebud.....Hang in there. I'm with ya on the sweet cravings. Jan 8th was my sons birthday and I was SO lucky to hear him say he wanted to have Japenese hibachi style dinner. I only had to suffer by NOT eating the best fried rice in the world. We came home to the giant chocolate chip cookie I had ordered and he told me he was too full to eat it (man...i could've eaten the whole thing). SO..the next morning I took 1/2 the cookie to the office. It made me feel good to see them all eat and enjoy it so much that I didn't even want any.
THEN....Jan 15th was MY birthday (my poor husband...all the holidays, then the birthdays) and it was my choice to go eat out. I really wanted to tell them that I'd rather eat at home (I was afraid to be around all the bread,etc at LONGHORN!) but we went and I had the salad (no croutons) and the filet AND shrimp with a side of broccoli. Was stuffed and no bread on the table so that was nice. I treated myself to a birthday sugar free jello with cool whip. WOW...but I'm feeling better for it all. Beating those horrible situations is the hardest and I can't imagince being a teacher because FOOD is always around for some reason or another....HANG IN THERE!

Also...you might like this...it lifted my spirits today...go to www.lowcarbluxury.com and check out all the dessert recipes...my printer hasn't stopped. I didn't realize how easy a couple of them would be to make. Key lime pie and Strawberry cream pie. I'm goin to the grocery tomorrow to get the stuff to make them. I'm on my third week of LC now and am ready to throw in a little spice here and there so I don't go "off the wagon".

Good Luck to you....at least we have this place to be able to vent and find comfort!

Amy
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 14:24
Forum Moderator

BF:
Cool

Thanks, ECopher!
Congratulations on surviving two birthday celebrations - well done! (And happy birthday!)
I survived my day out yesterday. It was a picnic in a park overlooking the sea at Alexandra Headlands, part of Queensland's beautiful Sunshine Coast. Only one very minor problem - my cousin (in-law?) was about to put the dressing on the salad on the dressing so I said I'd have mine without thanks. When she questioned why, I said I can't eat sugar and she said it had no sugar, only honey. Of course I then said that honey is a sugar and she wanted to get into an argument about honey not being a sugar and good for you etc etc. I just laughed it off and said I can't eat honey either. Whew!
I coped okay at dessert time - still full I think or maybe the L-glutamine and chromium are having an effect. I hope so.
I had made some low carb brownies - my first effort - but they tasted kinda salty (I didn't add any salt) and, well, not much like brownies should taste. So I binned 'em and didn't take anything.
I have checked out Low Carb Luxury, thanks mate, their recipes look great. Maybe I'll get the brownies right next time.

Rosebud
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 15:36

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 327/298/227
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default An alternitive thought process

Great posts:

I am attempting to keep myself in a differenrt mental space right now.... I have decided not to judge my eating as good or bad..... not comliant or cheating... but rather a journey....... this journey will have many twists and turns ... comprising, physcial, mental & spiritual aspects. When I assign labels to these twists and turns... I always lose.

I am exactly where I am suposed to be today... period !!!!. I have the freedom to chose how I will react to my circumstances, I am attempting to see each experience as a lesson, not good or bad but just a lesson.

I know it sounds so " ZEN" , but I have beat my self up enough to know that, self critical judgement; does not work for me, I give myself permission to eat or drink anything I want... thats right.... 2 entire pizzas with 6 milk shakes if I chose..... hell warm sourdough bread sticks for dessert.... so what... will it make me a cheater ?... a bad person ?.... no I will still be Kevin M. ... with another experience to add to my journey..... My past history tells me that I will pay a price for making such poor food choices.... but it will not make me good or bad.... So far today I have made food choices which have nurished me mentaly, physcially and spiritually... I hope to continue to make healthy choices... but I will never be perfect.... so the hardest lesson I am attempting to live today is accepting myself exactly as I am... imperfectly.... perfect....

This journey of self discovery... is very scary... but it is oh so... REAL... I wouln't miss it for the world...

Best to all along the journey